What is a BBE Sonic Maximiser

Started by seibertdr, September 10, 2008, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogeryu_ph

Guys,
I don't no everytime I linked that forum thread the link just get cut.....there were reviews in that thread to let us get more input. I can linked you to his schem... are we allowed to do that?

Roger   

frank_p

Don't be ashamed !
But the best way to know is communicating with the other forum responsable IMO.
I don't know the exact procedure, but that what is what I would do...

:)

rogeryu_ph

Ok, I already asked for his permission and waiting for PM reply. Just wait......

Roger

frank_p

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 17, 2008, 12:15:42 AM
Ok, I already asked for his permission and waiting for PM reply. Just wait......

Roger

Oh ! and if you are still not sure you can post in the member section (not a big difference but, still... , you won't be dealing with the entire www ).
But remember we are  548 197 "members"...
Is there is not any patents on that box ?

snap

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 16, 2008, 10:57:08 PM
Guys,
I don't no everytime I linked that forum thread the link just get cut.....there were reviews in that thread to let us get more input. I can linked you to his schem... are we allowed to do that?

Roger   

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60660.msg484444#msg484444

DougH

I plugged in my BBE rack unit last night, since this thread got me thinking about it again. The "bypass" function is not as bad as I remember. I connected it to an external loop box and compared the "BBE dry" to the real dry signal and there was a slight difference, but they weren't far off. This unit is set up for low Z line-level signals, so you need to buffer the signal from your guitar to use it. I suspect the "pedal" version is set up for high Z though.

For a clean guitar, it really is nice and the effect is fairly noticeable. This unit has an auto/manual process control switch. In manual, depending on how you set the "definition" and "bass contour" controls, it can sound pretty shrill. But in auto it sounds well balanced. The bass contour control adds a deep bass EQ effect without sound boomy or muddy. That's probably my favorite feature when using it with guitar- really helps a strat through a 1x12. The definition control adds "clarity", not so much treble. I used my liqua-flange to buffer the signal, and when I switched it on the BBE helped emphasize the flange effect in a good way. This unit is stereo too, so at some point it will be fun to try it with stereo flange.

I dialed up some amp distortion and didn't really like what the BBE did to the sound then. It's not horrible, but the clarity it adds just sounded kind of weird, in way, with the distortion. I think what is going on is the dynamics of the "process" interacts with the distortion harmonics in ways you don't expect. IMO, distortion just sounds better middy and lo-fi. But for clean guitar (and I'm betting electro-acoustic too) the BBE works really nice. I'm thinking with a decent stereo reverb and some compression the BBE could really help with "ambient" sounds.

Just wanted to update my earlier comments.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

rogeryu_ph

I got his permission, this is what he said....

Hi Roger - sure, on the proviso that you acknowledge http://www.....org in your forum links etc.
Many thanks
Cheers
Steve

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/bajaman002/BajaBBESonicStompschematic.png

There's also a light version which uses only just one quad OPamp but he quoted "It may be a bit noisy with the 1M resistors around the first stage when using just one quadOPamp implementation"

Roger

DougH

Ah, okay... That's bajaman's analog version- hence no source code. Gotcha...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

rogeryu_ph

How is it going guys? feedback anyone.....

rogeryu_ph

STM BBE Sonic Breadboard

Roger

frank_p

Roger, did you play with tour bread board version ?  How does it compares to the videos ?
Is it worth the built in your opinion ?

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: frank_p on September 19, 2008, 01:17:24 PM

Roger, did you play with tour bread board version ?  How does it compares to the videos ?
Is it worth the built in your opinion ?

Ok here's I recorded the Sound with STM BBE
ON and the first part and OFF on the Middle portion then switch ON again up to the last.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6907335

Here's another fully ON with STM BBE
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6907328

Compare to this clip without STM BBE OFF
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6907320

This is still dont't have the third stage which is the Hi Freq expander only the ENHANCER and TIME ALIGNMENT stage, Give me all your feedback, I still don't know the real BBE SONIC MAX sounds alike.

Thanks,
Roger

rogeryu_ph

Anyone one other version which I linked? Even analysis on that schem..... ::)

Roger

stm

Roger, your clips sound very good.
Did you notice any difference when playing with and without the time alignment section?

calpolyengineer

I agree those do sound good.

Hey Sebastian, could you post your high frequency expander section? I was interested in trying it. Also I have a friend with a sonicstomp so I'm gonna breadboard this soon and hopefully be able to post soundclips comparing the two.

-Joe

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: stm on September 21, 2008, 09:30:18 PM
Did you notice any difference when playing with and without the time alignment section?

Hi Stm,
Barely noticeable or very limited extent... Also, if you have the expander section circuit it would be nice to include Sir.

Thanks,
Roger

stm

Quote from: calpolyengineer on September 21, 2008, 09:50:51 PM
I agree those do sound good.

Hey Sebastian, could you post your high frequency expander section? I was interested in trying it. Also I have a friend with a sonicstomp so I'm gonna breadboard this soon and hopefully be able to post soundclips comparing the two.

-Joe
I sketched a sort of expander section a long time ago using a SPICE simulation, but I didn't actually build it due to its complexity and because the results of the equalizer section alone were more than satisfactory, so I dropped the expander idea.

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 22, 2008, 12:28:04 AM
Quote from: stm on September 21, 2008, 09:30:18 PM

Hi Stm,
Barely noticeable or very limited extent... Also, if you have the expander section circuit it would be nice to include Sir.

Thanks,
Roger
This is the same conclusion I came to. The effect of the time delay section was barely noticeable at all, and I couldn't say it was better or worse, just very slightly different.  Maybe the reason is that I only tested this circuit using a guitar speaker, which is bandwidth limited to 5 kHz and doesn't have crossovers, so no particular issue with the high frequencies anyway.  The effect of the HI and LO controls was so good that I abandoned the development at that point in favor of the simplicity of a dual opamp circuit.

rogeryu_ph

Holy Cow  :o   RUNOFFGROOVE.COM is your website!!!!!!!
Stm, I don't have any slight idea that it was yours.......I tried your May Queen last year WOWwwwww this one a tough design I tell you.....Great sounding pedal with only just 3 transistor MAN ;D
I did already etched the PCB and it's a keeper  ;D
More power to you STMMMMMM.

Many thanks,
Roger

frank_p

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 22, 2008, 06:35:34 PM
Stm, I don't have any slight idea that it was yours.......I tried your May Queen last year WOWwwwww this one a tough design I tell you.....Great sounding pedal with only just 3 transistor MAN ;D

LOL.  (not in a bad way...)   (There are a lot of people to help you (heee...  I mean us... ) here it seems... )

stm

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 22, 2008, 06:35:34 PM

Many thanks,
Roger
Unfortunately for me the May Queen was developed before I joined the 'groove team.  I started participating with the Condor Cabsim and there on.