What is a BBE Sonic Maximiser

Started by seibertdr, September 10, 2008, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank_p

Quote from: frank_p on September 22, 2008, 08:15:06 PM
LOL.  (not in a bad way...)   (There are a lot of people to help you (heee...  I mean us... ) here it seems... )

I quote myself but,
Forgot to say thanks to Doug also...

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

rogeryu_ph

Hello.....does anyone getting progress here.....

calpolyengineer

I just finished a vero layout for STM's BB&E. It is in my gallery here: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/calpolyengineer_001/Layouts/BB_E/. It is still unverified so please let me know if there are any mistakes. Hope this helps, I breadboarded this and it sounds great. Thanks STM!

-Joe

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: calpolyengineer on September 24, 2008, 07:28:43 PM
I just finished a vero layout for STM's BB&E. It is in my gallery here: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/calpolyengineer_001/Layouts/BB_E/. It is still unverified so please let me know if there are any mistakes. Hope this helps, I breadboarded this and it sounds great. Thanks STM!

-Joe

Joe hi,
How it is compared to your friend's SonicStomp?

Roger

calpolyengineer

I still haven't had a chance to compare them. He is in a locally popular band playing shows all over the california coast. I haven't caught him at the right time yet.

-Joe

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: calpolyengineer on September 25, 2008, 02:38:53 PM
I still haven't had a chance to compare them. He is in a locally popular band playing shows all over the california coast. I haven't caught him at the right time yet.

-Joe

Be better set a trap, to caught him bare footed  ;D

Roger

Meanderthal

I have the pedal, rack, and software versions. They all do the same thing, just a matter of which form suits your needs. I have found they are fantastic for clean bass sounds, but will bring out harsh raspiness when used after a distortion. I used to use the rackmount version, always on, but recently acquired the pedal and discovered there are things that sound better without it after all, now that I have a bypass switch right in front of me.

Tends to... umm... remove warmth from a guitar sound, so not much good for those seeking a mellow bluesy tubey tone. I wouldn't say sterile, but  sparkly. Some sounds just need that basket, so a BBE is counterproductive.

Really great for idiot-proofing mixbowns also! PA systems sound a whole lot better with them too. Probably its best use and where it really makes the most difference is when you run the whole mix thru it.

I am not responsible for your imagination.

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: Meanderthal on September 27, 2008, 11:41:33 AM
I have the pedal, rack, and software versions. They all do the same thing, just a matter of which form suits your needs. I have found they are fantastic for clean bass sounds, but will bring out harsh raspiness when used after a distortion. I used to use the rackmount version, always on, but recently acquired the pedal and discovered there are things that sound better without it after all, now that I have a bypass switch right in front of me.

Tends to... umm... remove warmth from a guitar sound, so not much good for those seeking a mellow bluesy tubey tone. I wouldn't say sterile, but  sparkly. Some sounds just need that basket, so a BBE is counterproductive.

Really great for idiot-proofing mixbowns also! PA systems sound a whole lot better with them too. Probably its best use and where it really makes the most difference is when you run the whole mix thru it.

Hi Meanderthal,
Surely it's true and your right, some musical genre my not benefit on this. I read the stomp PDF manual it's stated hardwire bypass does it uses 3pdt.....after all it's just the same like our other pedal, many times ON and sometimes OFF  ;D

Thanks,
Roger 

rogeryu_ph

Guys,
Look at this Datasheet :
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/N/J/M/2/NJM2150AD.shtml

It's what on the IC marked as BBE 2150AD      JRC A5041C on the stomp version.

rogeryu_ph

I just bought it today from a guitar forum on their classified section here in the Philippines for almost 65 US Dollar.

Compared it with Stm design with time alignment stage has a very slight difference specially when I changed the HI pot into B100k and I would say 90-95% rate. It's also a hardwired bypass using 3PDT and assembled in China. Well, it would cost me less even when ordering box, knob and bypass switch and do my own pcb but this is it, I own it and I'm happy to have one  :D
Great job Stm, it's sure is a workalike  :icon_razz:

Thanks,
Roger

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on September 29, 2008, 12:23:07 AM
Guys,
Look at this Datasheet :
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/N/J/M/2/NJM2150AD.shtml

It's what on the IC marked as BBE 2150AD      JRC A5041C on the stomp version.

BBE2150AD
JRCA5041C

Marked on 20 pins IC

The other one 8 pin IC is just a TL072

Roger

Mark Hammer

Picked up a BBE 402 rackmount unit for $50 this past Friday and hooked it up to the meagre "home theatre" setup we have (a 27" TV, a cheap DVD player, a stereo amp and two speaker cabs).  Made a nice improvement in terms of the definition.  Not sure how it would work or impact on a 5.1 (or higher) setup, but in our case I found that the details in the film soundtrack (Across the Universe) came across really well.  Looking forward to trying it out with some recorded acoustic music.

DougH

Sounds cool, Mark! I'll have to try that with my tv.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 27, 2008, 11:51:53 AM
Picked up a BBE 402 rackmount unit for $50 this past Friday and hooked it up to the meagre "home theatre" setup we have (a 27" TV, a cheap DVD player, a stereo amp and two speaker cabs).  Made a nice improvement in terms of the definition.  Not sure how it would work or impact on a 5.1 (or higher) setup, but in our case I found that the details in the film soundtrack (Across the Universe) came across really well.  Looking forward to trying it out with some recorded acoustic music.
Man, for just $50? mine it cost me $65 and mono  >:(

km-r

hey where did you buy that mr roger?

our local guitar stores dont have them.
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

rogeryu_ph

Quote from: km-r on October 28, 2008, 03:01:14 AM
hey where did you buy that mr roger?

our local guitar stores dont have them.

Philmusic member @ Nuno he ordered it from bossing boss daw..  I score it 3K pesos.

snap

darwin_deathcat

Anyone know if this $20.00 unit is similar to the BBE sonic maximiser? http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/22U016/87/High-Definition-Audio-Processor The description says that is a "high definition music processor", and that it "recreates the 'live' phenomena" all things that you are all saying the BBE does, and what I've heard elsewhere it does. If it actually works with live sound (guitar, harmonica, bass, etc.) it could be a great low-cost alternative! I'm quoting the product description below for those who don;t want to follow the link.

This High Definition Audio (HDA) Processor. Includes manual, cable, and power supply. What this unit does... Live sound is a transient phenomenon. HDA is a technology that recreates the "live" experience. It has a quality and feeling that you can't compare to anything else. This processor adds an increased "liveliness" and "spatial" feel to music. You can adjust the amount of processing the unit does, or bypass it completely. Being audio enthusiasts, we here at Alltronics were eager to put it to the test and hear the unit for ourselves. We immediately noticed the difference. It gives a "concert hall" sound. Our "old-timer" says it reminds him of the reverb units that were popular back in the 70's. This unit is especially suited to enhancing digitally recorded music, like on CD or DAT, which can sometime seem to lack a certain high-end "sparkle". Similar features to the Sonic Maximizer. Large quantity available, inquire about discounts on lots of 100 or more. Includes wallwart.

Another customer reported: First of all , this unit is much more useful than those old 'reverb' units that were touted as doing the same thing, i.e. improving the audio 'space'... The effect this unit gives is much more subtle, the bass and treble are enhanced, and the stereo sounds, are, well, more 'stereo'. As a bit of an Audiophile, I probably wouldn't use this regularly with a CD player, turntable, or reel-to-reel, but I found it enhances a PC's sound immensely, very, very impressive. (Mind you, I run my PC's sound through this unit, and into my stereo system, not the cheap amplified PC speakers...) Only caveat, if your stereo is prone to distortion at higher volumes, take care, as this unit does increase output. Overall, awesome...

__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------