Uglyface with LFO --new vero-- (unverified)

Started by blanik, September 14, 2008, 09:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetterOffShred

There never was one, the perf board layout is the "schematic" according this thread,  started by it's creator.  Yeah I wasn't asking anyone to translate anything, that's just all the documentation there is for this device from my searches. 

Marcos - Munky

Actually, there's an schematic:

Also, the pcb/veroboard layout posted by BetterOffShred have a few errors. I don't remember exactly what was wrong, but I compared the layout and schematic once and I remember there's something wrong.

BetterOffShred

Sweet man  I never found this. Thanks.  I'll troubleshoot more. :)

Marcos - Munky

BetterOffShred

I built the strip layout, but something is definitely off.  I've gone over my build  numerous times and I'm not finding any errors.  Duck were you saying a 5516 for this build or just in general ? 

duck_arse

there you go, Shred, that is not the LFO circuit I was expecting. that's more a single opamp oscillator, with buffer, I was expecting schmitt trigger and integrator type.

so, yes, I'm saying 5516 for my uglyface built. mine didn't have lfo, tho. don't think it'd make much diff. as for your earlier questions - the C2 100uF on the lfo circuit is the timing cap. and if you feed the slow slow slow output thru a 2u2 cap, it will get bored and disinterested on the lowest speeds, and not allow as much modulation as you'd probably want. the 100uF stays harder longer, really gives its all. it matches the low freq to the following load better than 2u2 will. changing the "C3" cap to 100uF - dunno. 2u2 works, 100uF might be way too much and cause blocking/gulping, dunno. maybe for a dull led?

looking at that 22k across the freq pot, I'd say it is additional stopping at the high end, and maybe does nothing to the feel or taper of that pot. you could just replace the 470R w/ the 22k, I think. as for the 56k to 22k, go back to 22k should allow gating.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

BetterOffShred

Ok so I lifted the 22k paralleled with frequency 2 and 3, and put in a 250k frequency pot..  that's the jam right there.  It goes low as balls and up real high too.  Sounds great. 

Also I ended up using a GL5549 which is 10M dark and a water clear yellow, but I need to fool around with the trimmer in the dark to find the sweet spot between regular mode and LFO  mode.   The ramp switch works now as intended..  not sure what's happening there as it's a real basic circuit.. may have been not enough resistance on the LDR..

The rate pot is very unsatisfactory atm...  it has all of its useful range bunched up kind of in the middle .. I'll try the 1458 and 4558 again, but if that's the way it is, I'll just stick like a b100k between 2 resistors and it should be golden. 

I have yet to take the 56k out and put in the 22k, but I'll try that tomorrow and report back.   Almost there.   Love the effect.
-Brett

duck_arse

if yah want more lows, or to shift where the sweep affects, you can switch-add capacitance to the 100nF timing cap in the face section. and if yore oscillator rate pot is jinky, use a reverse log taper. or a linear (like B500k) and a tapering resistor (like 150k).
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

BetterOffShred

Yeah it calls for a C100k rate pot, which I'm using. I should have specified that it's useful between maybe 70-90%

BetterOffShred

So I pulled the 56k and put the 22k back in, and I think I prefer this config.  It seemed to changed the way the rate pot works too, so now it works all the way through the range.  I like this set up a lot. 

I found a little schematic where a dude implemented a blend that mixes between the straight 386 distortion, and the output of the 7555.. so I put that in as well, and it's really cool!  Particularly with the LFO on, throbbing away, blended in like 40%..  mmm mmm! Fantastic. 

So I'm just about done with this one, I may paint up the layout and post that in case anyone decides they wanted to make one, it's pretty sweet.  Thanks for the input guys :)

spectreman

BetterOffShred,

QuoteSo I'm just about done with this one, I may paint up the layout and post that in case anyone decides they wanted to make one, it's pretty sweet

Did you ever create a layout for your version of this?

Thanks!!

pinkjimiphoton

the one i used originally i can't find, can't get the "verified" one's sweep or lfo to work tho.
let someone borrow the original... miss it. they're long gone.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

got it.

i am sofa king stupid sometimes lol...
had the ldr of the vactrol off a row... of COURSE it couldn't work!!!
;)

works now, holy shit. sounds just like my original.

i added a shitty tone control thats lossy as hell, too, so ya can take off a little of the ear bleed frequencies....

in my case from the input of the vol pot, to the in of a b50k, output to 33n to ground. overkill, but handy. plenty of volume still. there are far better ways to do this!!!!! lol

ok...question... how do we add a resonance control to the filter part like on a synth? i think that may be a worthy addition.

also, don't remember if this has been mentioned and am sure it has, remember, if you use a dpdt on/off/on you get envelope modulation, nin the middle it kills the lfo AND the envelope follower so you can use it more as a ring mod, and finally lfo modulation.

if ya can handle a 7th knob, a fine control for the rate may be a worthy addition, something like say 5-10k i bet would be perfect for better control at the high end of the pot...especially if ya don't have a c-taper to use.

lastly, try tacking in a 4.7k trimmer instead of the 1k resistor or 2k trimpot, little more wiggle room to dial in the sweep.

and, now that i have it actually working, i can finally confirm without a doubt this is the original layout used in my stupid video all them years ago. i lost the original file several years/pc's ago, and was always wondering if , well, THIS was it. it for sure is.

anyways, happy soldering!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr