Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe Pedal!!!

Started by sevenisthenumber, September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

So.....   Im a univibe pheen and had to try it for the money. As you know it runs about $40, has true bypass and solid metal construction and jacks!

I hooked it up and it sounds crazy good. One of the best vibes ive ever heard.... seriously.... Great controls and feel. It honestly sounds as good as my Deja Vibe! Sorry fulltone fans.

One thing that i dont like is the volume boost when engaged. Does anyone know how i can fix this. What resistor do i need to change?
Does anyone know if this actually uses ldr's and a bulb?

Thanks!!

Crawf

Quote from: sevenisthenumber on September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Does anyone know if this actually uses ldr's and a bulb?

Thanks!!

According to the review it uses a bulb,suppose you would need to look to be sure but it sounds pretty good. I've just etched a Neovibe board but for RRP £50 in UK I probably would be cheaper buying one of these but just my tuppenceworth,cheers Crawford.

http://www.coolcattone.com/pdf/G&B_CoolCat08.pdf

sevenisthenumber

DWBH

Quote from: sevenisthenumber on September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM
One thing that i dont like is the volume boost when engaged. Does anyone know how i can fix this.
Bump

bossa

I just got a Coolcat Vibe and love it too. Yeah it does have the volume boost, seems to only be a problem if its first . Would be interested if there is a way doing something about it. Read somewhere that the second version this will be sorted.
There is a Youtube video of Coolcat pedals and the rep says it uses a bulb.I havent had a look yet  ;D

DWBH

sevenisthenumber

Theres got to be a simple way to adjust the volume?????

DougH

If nothing else, it should be fairly easy to add an internal volume control trim to the input or output of it, inside the bypass loop. Then you could just set it and forget it.

Keep in mind- "should be fairly easy" are famous last words, YMMV, etc.. It's worth looking into though if it's a problem.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Ripdivot

You could add a volume pot to the output of the effect before the bypass switch.

DWBH

Bossa, why don't you take a look inside? (a take some pics while you're at it  ;D)

bossa

Quote from: DWBH on September 27, 2008, 06:15:20 PM
Bossa, why don't you take a look inside? (a take some pics while you're at it  ;D)

Will try and borrow a camera and take a gut shot. From what I can see it's pretty much all surface mount stuff in there.
Scary for me, Man I don't want to break it I just got it  :icon_redface: ;D

DWBH

Damn. Wonder if the light bulb is also SMD  ;D ;D

sevenisthenumber

I probably uses that black encased photo bulb  like the tuna melt and chicken salad.

bossa

snoof

just FYI, your link doesn't work because that site is censored here :icon_rolleyes:

solderman

Why not try to build the Easy Vibe from geofex. Then you can fit in a Volume knob, not that it is necessary but it is easy.

http://www.geofex.com./PCB_layouts/Layouts/easyvibe.pdf

It sounds just grate and is easy to build. You don't have to worry about getting the real mojo light bulb cause the light comes from 4 LED:s still it sound fantastic.

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

kurtlives

Just bought one of these...

Cant wait for it to get here and try it.

So what is this delay issue I am hearing about?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bossa

Quote from: snoof on October 06, 2008, 04:00:46 PM
just FYI, your link doesn't work because that site is censored here :icon_rolleyes:

Oops ! Sorry I did not know about that 

asfastasdark

Is this volume boost in the entire signal when engaged, like every single part of the sound is boosted? Volume control trimmer, then, I say. Should be simple enough.

sevenisthenumber

The volume boost is the overall volume when the effect is engaged. Mine doesnt have a delay issue???  I dont know what people are talking about.