Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe Pedal!!!

Started by sevenisthenumber, September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Quote from: obblitt on November 27, 2009, 01:30:01 PM
It's not so much adjusting the knobs I'm worried about, it's having to bend and twist my patch cables to make everything fit on my pedal board. If it weren't for those knobs being in the way, I wouldn't have a problem... maybe I'll post a picture  :icon_biggrin: to show y'all how bad it looks on my board.
True, dat, but I just live with it.
  • SUPPORTER

monkmiles

I'm about to get one of these vibes and rehouse it.

As a relative newbie, I'm reading through this thread for best ways to do it. I'd love to hear more about the best ways to:
1) Remove the pots from the PCB
2) Fix the volume boost
2a) I'd like to install the pot, but where do I wire the pot from/to?

I'm thinking of using a Hammond 1590BB enclosure and have the footswitch and oversized speed knob on the bottom half of the top of the pedal. And then the intensity, mix and hopefully volume knobs on the upper top half.

64fx

Ripdivot's post on page 2 is what I followed for the mods.  For the volume boost I just inserted a pot and left it inside the enclosure (didn't have a spot to drill a hole in the enclosure without it looking weird.)  I can't remember whose post I followed on where to install the pot, but it's somewhere in this thread.

Removing the pots is by far the hardest part to me.  If you're not going to reuse those pots you can just rip them off and then unsolder the pins (this is what I recommend).  If you're going to reuse the pots you have to unsolder each pin and carefully remove it (not so easy to do).  They use lead-free solder which was a pain for me to deal with.  I would just get replacement pots of the same values (the values are printed on the pots in the vibe) and wire them into the board.  You can just solder the wires into the holes where you pulled the original pots out.

One thing that I've seen that I wish I had done was to mount the speed pot on the side of the pedal where you can roll your foot over the top of it to adjust the speed.  It looks really cool and seems like it would be easier to adjust while playing live.  Just a thought.

Please post pictures when you finish your rehousing.

The Mr. G

I hope it's not to late to BUMP this thread, but I'm new to tearing stompboxes open (and electronics in general).  Shot in the dark , I'm hoping someone might have a pic or small schematic for installing this volume trim pot.  At my level of experience a picture IS worth 1000 words . . . Thanks.
Your mind is like a parachute . . . it doesn't work unless it's open . . .

Everywhere do I perceive a certain conspiracy of rich men seeking their own advantage under that name and pretext of the commonwealth . . .

The Mr. G

Oh well . . . figured it out . . . old fashioned trial and error.
Your mind is like a parachute . . . it doesn't work unless it's open . . .

Everywhere do I perceive a certain conspiracy of rich men seeking their own advantage under that name and pretext of the commonwealth . . .

johnnyguitar

Don't know if anyone is still here but I have a quick question.....I have done the trimpot mod on the fx out to fix the volume problem but it still has a big volume bump until the bulb kicks in. Soooo, I want to wire it so the power is always on the bulb. I don't care about a pulsating led, I never touch it live anyway.
Any help is appreciated,  thanks

Ben N

Since those wonderful folks at ROG posted the Tri-Vibe, I decided not to mod it--the better to sell it once I build me a Tri-Vibe.
  • SUPPORTER

DougH

Hmmm, the tri-vibe clip I heard sounded more like a "vibrato" than a "univibe" to my ears. It reminded me a little of the vibrato setting on my space chorus.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Ben N

Well, I certainly wont sell it until after building the Tri-Vibe. But in the meantime, I'm keeping it pristine.
  • SUPPORTER

triodeamplification

This pedal sounds pretty good. I did the listed mods above and it works great with no delay and witht he flasing bulb it helps to visualize the rate
Question: I there a cap or other part that can be changed put a little more shine or treble highs to this pedal?

PaulBass

I tried the pedal with a Strat and I noticed a high end rolloff when the effect is engaged. do any of the mods correct this?

DougH

Supposedly that is part of the "vintage vibe" sound.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Muziekschuur

Would it be hard to add a expressionpedal jack connection?

FlyingZ

Quote from: PaulBass on August 12, 2010, 07:08:53 PM
I tried the pedal with a Strat and I noticed a high end rolloff when the effect is engaged. do any of the mods correct this?
Funny... I added a .001uF to ground to cut out some of the suck. Perhaps mine has a factory defect.

nickrobinson

Just bought this and tried the mods. Kind of. Firstly the flashing led - I got the led to flash, but the sound disappeared - my wiring isn't *quite* the same as that in the (excellent) photos, so maybe I need to cut/connect different wires?

Secondly, the volume boost. Exactly where do you connect a resistor to? I tried it between the output pin of the f/s to earth, but I just got a squealing sound. A photo would be useful, if anyone is still reading this?

Here's a pic of the wiring I tried.

Muziekschuur

My light allready pulsates with the speed....  So do I have a revision one? I did open up mine.... Hmmm I'll check...maybe something is written on the inside...

alex frias

I'm pretty sure the people at Dano and other companies are watching us all the time...
Pagan and happy!

mrrain

I have a problem with this pedal. I didn't modded it yet but sometimes the light blinks, and the worst part, after 10 minutes of using it the sound almost disapear, I only get some fuzzy/awfull sound.
It never worked with batteries too.
Anyone can help?

jefe

Quote from: mrrain on January 03, 2011, 02:34:02 PM
I have a problem with this pedal. I didn't modded it yet but sometimes the light blinks, and the worst part, after 10 minutes of using it the sound almost disapear, I only get some fuzzy/awfull sound.
It never worked with batteries too.
Anyone can help?

What kind of power supply are you using?

Did you buy it new? It sounds like something is defective. Can you return it to whoever you bought it from?

nocentelli

Quote from: Muziekschuur on November 11, 2010, 07:36:17 PM
My light allready pulsates with the speed....  So do I have a revision one? I did open up mine.... Hmmm I'll check...maybe something is written on the inside...

Does it also have the volume boost removed? Got a newish one on the way...
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again