Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe Pedal!!!

Started by sevenisthenumber, September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWBH

Well, the one I tried out, besides having that volume boost, had a "delay" when engaged. After stomping the switch, the sound wasn't effected right away. I mean, the vibe sound didn't start right after you stomped, but a moment later.
Like:
a) Playing -> b) stomp the Vibe -> c) the sound is still clean (dry) -> d) the sound is now wet (a there's also a volume boost). There's a delay between b and d.                                        |
                                                                         |
                                                                        \/
                                      this happens for a short period of time (like half a second)

kurtlives

Regarding the volume boost...

Since the switch is wired in our ever so familiar 3PDT fashion. Why not connect a 100K pot to the OUT of the effect have another lug going to ground and the wiper where the OUT used to be on the switch? Just a simple standard volume control that are very common.

Find what is unity gain, measure the resistance. Add a resistor from OUT to ground, ya some other stuff would need to be done but that's basically it I would think.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

DWBH

Yeah, I think the biggest issue is really the delay thing.

kurtlives

Has no one reversed engineered this and got a schem?

The whole true bypass/mechanical switch yet there is a delay confuses me. Yet some say there is no delay.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

DWBH

Maybe the newer pedals have that problem fixed.

kurtlives

I thought these were brand new pedals...? Already a rev 1.1?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

sevenisthenumber

They just came out in like July. There are no updates yet.

kurtlives

Haven't got my pedal yet (expecting it this week!) but I have figured out a few things.

Regarding the delay when engaged....The bypass is wired in such a way so that the switch turns on the B+ for the circuit.

Why would they do this?

On other vibe units like the Neovibe you'll notice it isn't battery powered. One cause it would use two batteries in series and two it draws major current with that bulb and other active components. The same can be said with Dano's last vibe effect the Chicken Salad. Ya it could (and was) be battery powered but the battery sure did not last long. It draws around 75mA of current when off I believe, which is quite large for an analog pedal. Also because the lamp is incandescent (I believe) power switching would make more sense to save the life of the bulb. I would imagine it would be a real pain to change the bulb.

O right so with the power switching the light takes a second or so to warm up then the vibe effect starts. Kinda like the filaments of a vacuum tube.

So the solution I would think is to wire the switch for audio switching and leave power switching out of it.

So it seems a 9V wall wart is the key for the pedal for really the best tone. Also make sure it's regulated as these circuits really pick up on the noise generated by the power supply.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

sevenisthenumber

i just recased mine and im selling my deja vibe. this really is a really great vibe with more control than any ive tried.
thanks to kurtlives i did the volume fix and its great!!!!

sevenisthenumber

Anyone know how to make the LED flash with the Speed knob?

DougH

I don't know how the LED is wired in this pedal, but when I did my Phase 90 I connected the LED to the third pole of the 3pdt, through a series resistor, to the LFO output (which was on the speed control). It was pretty simple in that case.

BTW, I tried out the Cool Cat Vibe today at Sam Ash and it was very impressive. :icon_wink: I can understand the annoyance with the volume bump, but that should be fixable with a 100k trimmer. It really has a good vibe sound, low noise, and is a very solid build. For $58 it makes me wonder if I should even bother with that Easy Vibe PCB I have... :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: DougH on December 27, 2008, 04:40:57 PM
I don't know how the LED is wired in this pedal, but when I did my Phase 90 I connected the LED to the third pole of the 3pdt, through a series resistor, to the LFO output (which was on the speed control). It was pretty simple in that case.

The LED is wired off the switch just like a normal 3pdt arrangement.

DougH

You might try disconnecting the LED from its power connection and connect it to the speed pot. Make sure there's some series resistance in the LED circuit somewhere to limit the current so you don't burn it up.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: DougH on December 27, 2008, 06:04:23 PM
You might try disconnecting the LED from its power connection and connect it to the speed pot. Make sure there's some series resistance in the LED circuit somewhere to limit the current so you don't burn it up.

Your my hero!!!  It worked!  Only prob is, when the pedal is off the led still flashes. I left the stock as is and hooked up anew one with the +leg to lug 3 and the -leg to ground with a 1k resistor. Awesome Mod!!!!

Does this work on any time based pedal? I have the cool cat trem and that would be great on it.

pott

So adding a speed-LED is as simple as connecting to lug 3 of the pot and ground (through a 1K resistor)? Cause THAT would be a great mod...
I may try the trimmer to wire a resistor and get rid of that volume bump. I don't mind it in front of an overdriven amp/pedal as it adds gain just a little gain but in front of a clean channel it bumps the volume quite a lot.

sevenisthenumber

easy as 1,2,3.

Could the delay in the pedal comming on be from the bulb taking time to warm up? Is there possible a faster bulb?

pott

I had a similar delay with the EH Small Stone phaser (Russian). Not sure what caused it.

solderman

Quote from: sevenisthenumber on December 27, 2008, 06:37:35 PM
Quote from: DougH on December 27, 2008, 06:04:23 PM

Your my hero!!!  It worked!  Only prob is, when the pedal is off the led still flashes. I left the stock as is and hooked up anew one with the +leg to lug 3 and the -leg to ground with a 1k resistor. Awesome Mod!!!!

Does this work on any time based pedal? I have the cool cat trem and that would be great on it.

Hi.
I don't see that as a problem. If is flashes when the pedal if off you can see the LFO speed in the dark on the stage befor you hit the switch. This way you know that you have the correct speed you anticipate for the tone you are about to use it in. If you use a two color LED (Eg red and green) with common catode you can use it as a status led (red=off green =on) I have wired some of my effect builds like this. among those the MXR Phase 90, two tremolos and the easy Vibe. Not all LFO:s can handle the "to speed pot" connection. I tyred it on my  MXR 45 build but that interfered too much with the LFO and the sound.

The delay might be a bigger cap that needs to be charged trough a resistor some where. I have a seen this in a tweaked EA Tremolo that lets the cap charge via the LED if the led is switched of the tremolo takes 1-2 sec to "warm up" before working.
//Solderman     
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Ripdivot

Here are my mods to the Cool Cat Vibe. Solves the delay and adds a flashing LED when pedal is on. I don't find the volume boost to be a problem so I left it alone.

kurtlives

Nice, great pics.

Did you try my suggestions for the volume drop and delay?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com