Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe Pedal!!!

Started by sevenisthenumber, September 19, 2008, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWBH

So... messing with the LED solved the delay problem? Cool... How come?

Ripdivot

No, messing with the LED didn't solve the delay problem. If you look at picture 3, what you are doing is removing the pwr from the switch and jumpering it on permanently. That is what solves the delay problem. Then you are using the left over switch contacts for switching the LED which is getting its pwr from pin three of the speed pot. The LED has current limiting through a 2K2 resistor to ground on the PCB. Hope this helps.

DWBH

Oh yeah, got it. Didn't notice the power thing.

pott

I didn't get some of the instructions from the pic tutorial (sorry... :icon_redface:)
After picture 3 everything becomes a little blurry. Which wires are which...? Thanks...

Ripdivot

Quote from: Ripdivot on December 28, 2008, 05:53:23 PM
Here are my mods to the Cool Cat Vibe. Solves the delay and adds a flashing LED when pedal is on. I don't find the volume boost to be a problem so I left it alone.

There are two red wires that go to the switch board. Cut each of them in about the middle. This will leave two cut red wires coming from the switch board and two cut red wires coming from the main circuit board. Solder the two cut red wires from the main circuit board together (photo 3). Now solder one of the wires from the switch board to the LED anode. Then solder the remaining wire coming from the switch board to pin 3 of the speed pot (photo 5).

DougH

Thanks for the nice photo-essay, Ripdivot. :icon_wink: Nice job!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

QuoteOnly prob is, when the pedal is off the led still flashes.

Somehow you left the switch out of the circuit. Follow Ripdivot's photo-essay and it should fix you up.

Ben N

7, you got this for $40? I can only find it for $60, $55 on ebay.

Also, it doesn't look like one could kludge an extra speed pot in there, right? Or a fast/slow stomper instead of the toggle? (without a rehouse, that is).
  • SUPPORTER

pott

I can't pull the knobs out. Did you guys use pliers?

sevenisthenumber

pott

Dang... all I succeeded in doing so far is damage the knobs. Not a big deal but they're stubborn  :icon_evil: I honestly can't wait to get this one right though, once I do this and get rid of the volume issue it'll be used a lot more I think!

Ben N

Try slipping a flat head screwdriver (the wider the head the better) under the knob and gently leveraging the knob up. Once it loosens, it should be fine.
  • SUPPORTER

Ripdivot

I wedged the knobs up using a flat blade jewelers screw driver just as BEN N suggested. Also to get the LED anode out you will need to remove the LED, bend the anode out, tack a wire to the anode, then solder the cathode back where it came from.

I'm glad you guys liked the tutorial. I have an easyvibe and a neovibe, I use to have a real univibe and a chicken salad vibe ,and I have to say I really like the cool cat vibe. It sounds awesome!

sevenisthenumber

Quote from: Ben N on December 29, 2008, 11:54:35 AM

Also, it doesn't look like one could kludge an extra speed pot in there, right? Or a fast/slow stomper instead of the toggle? (without a rehouse, that is).

I got mine off eBay new for $40. They have went up since then I guess. I re-cased mine so I had room to add a volume knob and extra flashing LED. I love it!

pott

Ah yes figured out the screwdriver thing... off to work on it this early afternoon then! Thanks guys, I'll report back.

CRAP: the bolt nuts are of course totally recessed. Not got any sockets. No modding for me.

DougH

Quote from: Ben N on December 29, 2008, 11:54:35 AM

http://www.instrumentalley.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CV-1&click=35

They have them at my local Sam Ash for $58 as well, Ben. It sounded real good when I tried it out, but I don't remember if the LFO had the "wobble" or not.

Ben N

Thanks, Doug! They beat the best price I could find by $8 shipped. Now we'll see how fast their fulfillment is--and how good this vibe is. BTW, although I'm not looking to buy any overdrives (there are plenty to build), their's sounded quite good in the demo. If these pedals are as good as they seem, and Dano has licked its reliability issues, and they can actually make a profit at these prices, these could be giant-killers.
  • SUPPORTER

pott

WOOOT did it! Everything works great, there's no delay. The LED's a little blinding, I have to remember not to stare at it  :icon_lol: Thanks so much guys!

DougH

Quote from: Ben N on December 30, 2008, 11:30:45 AM
Thanks, Doug! They beat the best price I could find by $8 shipped. Now we'll see how fast their fulfillment is--and how good this vibe is. BTW, although I'm not looking to buy any overdrives (there are plenty to build), their's sounded quite good in the demo. If these pedals are as good as they seem, and Dano has licked its reliability issues, and they can actually make a profit at these prices, these could be giant-killers.

I tried it on the "dano" board with all the other dano pedals. It seems to be built very solid. The switch has a very satisfying "click" when you step on it and is very sturdy. Overall it seems like a very good buy, and most importantly it sounds great. I may get one in a few weeks. I tried one of their drives but I didn't like it. It could have been the guitar/amp I was using, etc. I didn't spend much time trying to dial it in. But the vibe sounds great.

pott

Those switches on the Dano feel VERY nice I think. I really dig it.

Has anyone figured out something for the volume boost?