"Crushed Glass" - Low voltage tube obsession gone too far?

Started by frequencycentral, September 20, 2008, 11:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: birt on September 20, 2008, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: petemoore on September 20, 2008, 05:13:47 PM
  Twin T as in sweepable bandpass as in Twin T wah ? As Paul, he will probably say wha not ?

yep, you can use a twin T circuit with an opamp or with a transistor. i think a tube gainstage will probably work too

Interesting. I drew up a schematic for a tube bandpass yesterday - I now find it's actually a twin T. I haven't breadboarded it yet, I will though - sometime this week.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

brad

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but what are some substitutes for 6111's?  Is there anything special about them, because I still have a few space charge triodes hanging around.
"If You Can't Open It, You Don't Own It"

davent

Quote from: brad on September 20, 2008, 10:20:59 PM
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but what are some substitutes for 6111's?  Is there anything special about them, because I still have a few space charge triodes hanging around.

You can get a 6111 datasheet from a link here. It also lists a couple possible subs.

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6111
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Ben N

How about feeding them both into a ring modulator (couple of rectifier tubes?), and control the whole thing with a joystick.
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

Quote from: brad on September 20, 2008, 10:20:59 PM

I hooked on to the 6111 from Dano12's Valvecaster thread, where he used a 6111 in place of a 12AU7 to make his Subcaster. I've breadboarded ideas using the 6111 and then built them using 12AU7. I used two 6111 in my Pepper Shredder build, though the designer recommended 12U7 or 12AU7. So I would say the two are pretty much interchangeable - you just have to change the pinout and power the heaters differently.

Quote from: Ben N on September 21, 2008, 02:22:33 AM
How about feeding them both into a ring modulator (couple of rectifier tubes?), and control the whole thing with a joystick.

Yes, yes, yes!! Yes sir, sounds like fun!

JFX09

Happiness is a effin' hot soldering iron

mth5044

Oh man I have a few joysticks. Hopefully someone comes up with a useful way to integrate them, because I will be all over that  :icon_mrgreen:

caress

Quote from: mth5044 on September 21, 2008, 01:03:57 PM

Oh man I have a few joysticks. Hopefully someone comes up with a useful way to integrate them, because I will be all over that  :icon_mrgreen:

just feed the two separate oscillator signals to the x and y of a ring mod - you can use a simple diode/transformer ring mod for that.
use your joystick x and y pots for the two frequency controls.

party time!

mth5044

What would this sound like? Anything close to it that I could compare it to?

Ben N

I have no idea what a ring mod with control over both frequencies--i.e. no identifiable carrier freq--would sound like, but it would have to be cool.
  • SUPPORTER

tranceracer

AWESOME!  It's funny 'cause I just before I played this clip I downloaded and installed an update to my Fedora media Palyer and thought it was f'd up!   :D

I was expecting to hear a guitar-ish clip and I was thinking to myself what the "F" is going on whileI reading thru the rest of the thread I noticed that this is a another cool Freq Central creation!  LOL!  :D

dano12

rick that is both awesome and ingenious. thanks much for posting the schemo and the clip. I need to get back into tubing someday :)

MikeH

Sounds like the audio from a sex-scene in a David Lynch movie!
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Ben N

All a matter of perspective--I was hearing Pink Floyd, circa DSOM-Animals-The Wall.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

I've been searching around and can't seem to find any of these ring mods you are talking about. Unless I'm totally missunderstanding and its just a regular ringmod. Maybe I should make a new thread... but it will be used withthe Crushed Glass  :icon_mrgreen:

Ben N

I wasn't refering to any specific ring mod design. Just that the heart of a ring modulator is a bridge rectifier (a ring of diodes), which is pretty easy to do with rectifier tubes, which are hollow state diodes. Normally, a ring mod uses an oscillator set to a constant "carrier" frequency, and an instrument input, and then takes the sum and difference of the two frequencies. With a dual oscillator, well, the possibilities seem intriguing.
Take a look at this:
http://www.wikio.co.uk/video/348895
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

So would you guys be interested in a tube ring mod to go with Crushed Glass?

caress

super simple ring mod here:  www.cgs.synth.net  -- a really great site from ken stone.

from the site:  "The schematic of Real Ring Modulator. Above is the standard diagram used for a ring modulator, if for no other reason than it is easier to work out what is going on by looking at it. Below the diode ring has been "unfolded" to make it clear that it is a diode ring, not a diode bridge."

Ben N

'Course, for maximum mojo it would have to be done in glass.
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

Quote from: Ben N on September 26, 2008, 01:35:32 AM
Normally, a ring mod uses an oscillator set to a constant "carrier" frequency, and an instrument input, and then takes the sum and difference of the two frequencies. With a dual oscillator, well, the possibilities seem intriguing.

That's how guitarists do it. I'm a modular synthesist too. I have a DIY EMS Synthia A, which includes a really nice ring mod and a joystick. I can confrim that applying the two axis of the joystick to two oscillators processed through a ring mod is noisy as hell. A very cool effect.

Quote from: Ben N on September 26, 2008, 12:42:01 PM
'Course, for maximum mojo it would have to be done in glass.

I have a couple of ideas for using tubes for ring modulation, or at least frequency modulation. Ring mods are kinda similar to VCAs in some ways, and it's easy to make a tube VCA. I also once made 'square wave only' ring mod from the four gates of a single CD4011, I think the topology used there could be applied to tubes. I'll experiment this weekend!