quick diode question

Started by skibum1999, September 21, 2008, 02:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skibum1999

while building an OCD clone, i lost my 1n34a diode (that thing is tiny) and am wondering what diodes i can use to replace them. I know its germanium, but im looking for something which is hopefully sold at radio shack

comfortably_numb

1n400x and 1n4148 should both work in the clipping section just fine and are readily available, although they will have a higher threshold than the germanium and this produce less distortion.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The other Ge diode that was - at least once - sold by RadioShack is the 1N914.
You never know your luck.

newfish

I've just checked Rapid Online - they have OA91 for 45 pence (80 cents maybe?) - Germanium Signal Diodes.

I'm thinking my next 'batch order' will inculde some of these little beasts.

Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

kurtlives

My local radio shack sells 1N34a ???
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

petemoore

Otherwise 'useless' Ge transistor B/E junction = Ge diode.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on September 22, 2008, 08:07:43 AM
The other Ge diode that was - at least once - sold by RadioShack is the 1N914.
You never know your luck.
Paul, do you realize what you're saying, or did you pop off this post whilst eating dinner? 

The Canadian Radio Shack (I won't bore you with the details of the name change) sells packages of 1N34A diodes still, though who knows for how much longer.  I imagine the US Radio Shack also sells them since it is the same packaging.

jacobyjd

I know stock varies by store, but I just picked up 1n914s at my local RS. I've never seen 1n34a diodes sold there though.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

cathexis

If you can find an AA118, it'll get you real close...

LARS

bipedal

Doesn't OCD use mosfet transistors (the diode within) as clippers?

skibum1999, are you making some mods by using other diodes for clipping?  Or maybe I'm out of date in my OCD knowledge?  Just curious...

- Jay

"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

kurtlives

Quote from: bipedal on September 22, 2008, 05:10:33 PM
Doesn't OCD use mosfet transistors (the diode within) as clippers?

skibum1999, are you making some mods by using other diodes for clipping?  Or maybe I'm out of date in my OCD knowledge?  Just curious...

- Jay

V3 and V4 throw a 1n34a into the mix with one of the mosfets for some asymmetrical goodness. Still clips mad hard.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 22, 2008, 01:21:59 PM
Paul, do you realize what you're saying, or did you pop off this post whilst eating dinner?

Ooops, my bad.
Of course, the 1N914 is silicon.
I don't know what came over me.. I did check, but certainly not in the right place.
I didn't post during dinner, but it WAS after dinner - and in my defence, I made vegetable soup, using a mystery bag of dried Chinese herb "soup mix", which I found today was some kind of "spleen medicine". :icon_eek: :icon_mad:  :icon_confused: