question about energy consumption

Started by drk, September 28, 2008, 01:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drk

Hi, im thinking about building a preamp in my guitar with some gain stages using or a 741opamp, or a couple of npn transistors(or jfets).
and i was wondering, is there much difference in the energy used between a circuit with transistors, or one with opamp? as this preamp would be powered with a battery, should i have any concern about that?

thanks

solderman

Hi
No, I don think you have to worry at all. I use one 200 mA BOSS wallvart to drive my effects  (12 pc at the moment) and II haven't passed 100 mA yet)
When I messure the effects they are rearly over ten, mots between 3-7 mA if they are dist and a bit more for Chorus and such..
Here You have a page as a reference.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/list.htm

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

R.G.

The biggest difference in power is usually whether or not LEDs are used. An LED in a pedal often eats as much power as the whole rest of the circuit put together.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

drk

Steben

Preamp discrete (transistors, BJT, FETs...) are easy to design with low power. The "Mini-booster" (J Orman) is a very gainy stage with very little current consumption. ( <<<1mA )
One Opamp stage usually uses a couple of mAmps on its own - 9V battery will die easily after +/- 100 hours - although there are low power opamps (TL06xxxx series, 2252 series, ...).
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them