Anyone interested in yet another Tube Tremolo ?

Started by frequencycentral, September 28, 2008, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Ok, so you have a few choices so far. There's The Tone God's Bullitt, there's my Vibracaster and also my Bipolar Disorder.

I'm getting into 5672 tubes at the moment. I like them because the filament only consumes 50ma, that's a third of what a 12AU7 consumes. That makes 5672 perfect for pedalboards without sucking the juice too much.

I've just done a little experiment to see how a 5672 would work as a tremolo, and it went well, just needs a bit of tweaking.

The thing is, I've already got two trems, a Bipolar Disorder and a Vibracaster........I don't need another trem - but does the world need another trem, that's the question?

So, should I develop this circuit for the common good of mankind, or just move on?

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

hday

The smaller the tubes, the smaller the enclosure. Pretty soon you'll be into 1590As. And the 50ma draw is a great improvement.

And it can never hurt to provide the world with more options. Hell, there are hundreds of fuzzes, why not another tube trem. I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

mth5044

You're a @#$%in nut, man.  :icon_mrgreen:

Whats the worst thing that could happen if you made another one? You'd have another awesome tremolo? You might learn more?  It could sound better then the other ones?

Holy shit man, never stop.

frequencycentral

Good so far - but I'm looking for TEN votes before I unleash it on an unsuspecting world........

birt

http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

nordine

bfore asking for another low volt tube trem, i'd like to ask... is there any samples from the ones you made?

cause:

-i'm curious
-and, maybe the new one could implement things the first hasn't... new waveform (most likely), filtering, modes, etc

frequencycentral

Quote from: birt on September 28, 2008, 03:47:58 PM
make it a phase shift vibrato like the in the magnatone amps ;)

I'm working on that too - but that's another project!

Quote from: nordine on September 28, 2008, 03:54:47 PM
bfore asking for another low volt tube trem, i'd like to ask... is there any samples from the ones you made?

If you click on 'Builds' in my signature there's a clip of the Vibracaster.

-and, maybe the new one could implement things the first hasn't... new waveform (most likely), filtering, modes, etc

Waveforms sounds interesting. Filtering - tell me more. What modes would you want?

mth5044

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 28, 2008, 03:57:40 PM

Waveforms sounds interesting. Filtering - tell me more. What modes would you want?

All of the modes, and lots of different filtering. Make it a unit to put ontop of an amp, like the re201. Except your only challenge would be to find the right enclosure. That would be awesome.

nordine

[/quote]

filtering, like tremoloing only bass content and leaving a clean treble on top, or the opposite

modes - smooth or chopped, or stutter tremolo... stutter more than square wave, i mean, total on - off

heard the sample, the wave does the job pretty much nicely, sounds cool, it surprised me
what got me thinking whats the somewhat 'contrived' quality of the sound

i know its a bias tremolo, but it goes to far i think... i figure the difference between tremolo ON-OFF, in terms of volume and openness of the sound is very noticeable
before launching on esoteric modes, as a suggestion, i'd figure out how to get a round and strong temolo sound, pairing up with the clean signal (i'm thinking on live stuff and getting lost in the mix)

edit: also you have different tremolo design options, you alrady tried bias, then there is opto, shunting to ground trem, and the kind that uses the tube as a variable series resistor

Darkness, Darkness

Does the world need another Tremolo ? why not !!!! Not to mentioned all the other ideas that will comes in your mind  ;) go Go GO, you've got another vote !  :)

Renegadrian

Shall I write that you have to count another vote?!  :icon_wink:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

frequencycentral

Quote from: nordine on September 28, 2008, 04:27:23 PM
filtering, like tremoloing only bass content and leaving a clean treble on top, or the opposite

modes - smooth or chopped, or stutter tremolo... stutter more than square wave, i mean, total on - off

heard the sample, the wave does the job pretty much nicely, sounds cool, it surprised me

i know its a bias tremolo, but it goes to far i think... i figure the difference between tremolo ON-OFF, in terms of volume and openness of the sound is very noticeable
before launching on esoteric modes, as a suggestion, i'd figure out how to get a round and strong temolo sound, pairing up with the clean signal (i'm thinking on live stuff and getting lost in the mix)

edit: also you have different tremolo design options, you alrady tried bias, then there is opto, shunting to ground trem, and the kind that uses the tube as a variable series resistor

The very significant difference I have found with 5672 pentodes vs 12AU7/6111 triodes is that with the triodes I'm modulating the cathode bias, and the tube's gain is at maximum with the cathodes grounded. Whereas with 5672 pentodes I'm modulating the screen grid and the tube's gain is at maximum at about 6 volts ( I'm using a 12 volt power supply), minimum when grounded. So the 5672 is acting a lot more like an OTA such as CA3080 or LM13700. Familiar territory for me, and very 'synthy'......I think I'll be able to do a lot with these submini pentodes which has so far eluded me with triodes - square wave modulation, S/H, stereo panning and doppler etc. It makes the whole business of applying a phase split LFO to two tube stages easier too.

nordine

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 28, 2008, 08:32:46 PM
Quote from: nordine on September 28, 2008, 04:27:23 PM

The very significant difference I have found with 5672 pentodes vs 12AU7/6111 triodes is that with the triodes I'm modulating the cathode bias, and the tube's gain is at maximum with the cathodes grounded. Whereas with 5672 pentodes I'm modulating the screen grid and the tube's gain is at maximum at about 6 volts ( I'm using a 12 volt power supply), minimum when grounded. So the 5672 is acting a lot more like an OTA such as CA3080 or LM13700. Familiar territory for me, and very 'synthy'......I think I'll be able to do a lot with these submini pentodes which has so far eluded me with triodes - square wave modulation, S/H, stereo panning and doppler etc. It makes the whole business of applying a phase split LFO to two tube stages easier too.

sounds exciting  :icon_mrgreen:
please keeps us informed of these findings, the pentode thing really seems the way to go, thats what i was talking about

an all tube S&H strikes me as real raunchy sounding device, well what im really thinking off is an aliaser... don't have the time to experiment with those, but would help beta testing ideas any day, if you want some help

Br4d13y

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

~arph

sweetwilly

Yes please!!!  As you know I have a glut of 5672s at present! 

Salvatore

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 28, 2008, 08:32:46 PMFamiliar territory for me, and very 'synthy'......I think I'll be able to do a lot with these submini pentodes which has so far eluded me with triodes - square wave modulation, S/H, stereo panning and doppler etc. It makes the whole business of applying a phase split LFO to two tube stages easier too.

As a chorus of enthusiastic voices seamed to rise in my head, can my vote count for 10 ? :icon_mrgreen:

(And don't forget the up ore down sawtooth..)

earthtonesaudio

Another vote, and my suggestion for the "more waveform control" would be dual LFOs, for weird syncopation and fun.

I'd like to see an All-Tube Tremulous Lune that fits in a 1590A.   :icon_twisted:

seibertdr

Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
Guitar>Bad Horsie wah>FullDrive 2>Boss OD-2>EHX POG2>Ernie Ball Volume>Amp
M9 in loop