Modifying non-MIDI FX and make them MIDI

Started by grjeff, October 06, 2008, 03:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grjeff

I want to know if it is possible to modify some of the compact multi effects pedals such as Zoom, Boss or Digitech to control them with MIDI. Is there a way to map out addresses for each patch? I'm wondering if this info could be used to somehow tap into each patch programs' identity or address from the microcontroller itself with a type of breakout connection or cable and then to a MIDI computer. Then have the ability to change any of the programs at any time with a master foot controller.
     It seems such a shame with as good as these units sound you cannot incorporate them into a MIDI system networked together. So far, the only way I know is to put them in a loop and switch them in or out of the signal chain. Yet a Zoom 506IIB or a Digitech RP-80 has 36 to 80 programs. However, in a loop, you can only get just one program unless you do a tap dance stomping on several switches, then that defeats the beauty of MIDI performance.
    The bottom line to me is if it has more than one program and memory to store it then it should or must have MIDI capability!!!
         I'm not well schooled in digital theory, nor am I a seasoned pro in electronics. I have much to learn but I'm willing. My crude interpretation of what a micro controller sees may be something like:
   Address = 0000 = A-1   Address = 0006 = B-1
   Address = 0001 = A-2   Address = 0007 = B-2
   Address = 0002 = A-3   Address = 0008 = B-3
   Address = 0003 = A-4
   Address = 0004 = A-5   Address = 0035 = F-6
   Address = 0005 = A-6
Etc...
    If anyone knows how this is allocated by digital addresses and how this could be used by somehow tapping into each patch programs' identity then it should be possible to modify any of these effects such as zoom, boss or digitech. I don't see this being too costly with the average PIC microcontrollers going for $10 to 40 dollars. I'm looking for ideas on how to modify such things in this way. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff