EChucK: The smashed synthesizer

Started by Inventor, October 09, 2008, 02:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inventor

Hi, I'm writing to mention my new project and ask for comments and so forth.  It's a modular synthesizer that is built of many little circuit board modules wired together.  Each module has a dsPIC on it and you program it to be an oscillator, a delay line, a multiplier, or whatever.  You hook everything up with solid wire which adds mechanical strength, so that your circuit "sculpture" holds it's shape in three dimensions.  Plus you can interface it to computer, guitar / amp, or anything that you can connect to an 1/8" stereo jack with adapters. 

You can read about it on the web page that I made for it here: 

http://www.freedomodds.com/music/echuck/

Once I get some boards made, I'm hoping to sell them at a fair, low price.  I'm open to ideas and suggestions, so have at it, thanks! 

demonstar

Sounds good what you've got going on there! One day I may be able to do that but hat you saw mentioned by me in the other topic was more of a board for me to practise using PICs. As in multiplexing displays and using PWM. Maybe building one of those flashing cubes you see on youtube. Nothing as complex as using DSPs. I'm really new to PICs. All I have done so far is turn LEDs on and off and give simple user input via push buttons. Mine is more of a beginners learning resource that can grow into a more advanced board as I learn. I've never programmed anything before apart from those couple of simple programs in assembly. Well, I have dabbled in basic. C and C++ just totally freak me out!  :icon_eek: It may ultimately turn into something like your idea but that's a long way off. I'll be very keen to see your board develop because it seems very interesting!
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Inventor

Thank you demonstar, I hope for the best but I'm running up against cost constraints!  The board house wants $189 to make the circuit boards, and that would drive the price sky high!  I would be better off doing the whole thing on little protoboards, which I might just do.  Oh well, we will see how it goes!

sean k

Hey Inventor, I have no idea what your doing, in the sense of the electronics and how they all work, but I think I have an idea of what you're trying to acheive. To me it's all indicative of the way the worlds moving, or at least a sizable percentage of the world, but it's not really condusive to fitting it with the consumer model.

I say that in respect of the protectionism and stuff that normal commercial enterprises operate under. But thats not to say it isn't possible only that as the model of providing consumer goods changes the interplay between the old ways and the newer ways is an area that can be problematic.

I think you might want to look around for a company thats already underway and has gotten a certain stability and see whether or not you can't hitch up your wagon to their train. That company would empathise with the new ethical nature of future business practise and be able to help you expand your coverage while your thinking would help them move into the area in which your experience is.

Just something to think about.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Inventor

Quote from: sean k on October 10, 2008, 08:38:23 PM
Hey Inventor, I have no idea what your doing, in the sense of the electronics and how they all work, but I think I have an idea of what you're trying to acheive. To me it's all indicative of the way the worlds moving, or at least a sizable percentage of the world, but it's not really condusive to fitting it with the consumer model.

I say that in respect of the protectionism and stuff that normal commercial enterprises operate under. But thats not to say it isn't possible only that as the model of providing consumer goods changes the interplay between the old ways and the newer ways is an area that can be problematic.

I think you might want to look around for a company thats already underway and has gotten a certain stability and see whether or not you can't hitch up your wagon to their train. That company would empathise with the new ethical nature of future business practise and be able to help you expand your coverage while your thinking would help them move into the area in which your experience is.

Just something to think about.

sean,

You are so right.  I am trying to do just that.  I've got a company in England that is working with me on some of my designs, but we haven't' gotten to the point of sales and profit yet.  I am trying different things.  The latest one is this "open source" EChucK concept, which I'd like to grow as a hobbyist endeavor.  Then there are other, non-electronic things like the rainbow maker that I created, basically just a big prism put in just the right place.  I don't know where all of this is going, but I'm having a great time doing it.  Please let me know if you are aware of a company that I could "hitch my wagon onto", as that would be an excellent development.