Need help with ross compressor

Started by jason h, September 22, 2003, 08:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason h

Hello all-

I just finished my ross comp clone. I got the project from Tonepad (very cool to have people out there willing to help DIYers. Thanks)  I have never played with one before, so I don't know what it should sound like. I have a feeling mine might not be working right, but I'm not sure.

The sound is clean, not humming, buzzing, or anything. The gain control works well. I get lots of sound through it with the effect on or in bypass. No problem with the tone or anything. The part that concerns me is the sustain control. The sustain dosn't seem to kick in untill the pot is past 3/4 of a turn. At that point it sounds a little compressed but there is no real sustain. Just a progressive loss of volume and tone as I turn the sustain know to full.

Right now I have the trim pot set at about 1 o'clock. I can get more sustain out of it if I turn the pot more, but at that point the sustain trails off into quiet fuzzing.

Is this how the ross comp should work/sound?
Any help or suggestions would be a great help. Thank you in advance, and thank you again to Tonepad for the project info and pcb layout.

jason h :D