How well does the Unibit work?

Started by Craig V, September 18, 2003, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig V

I'm looking to buy one, and have only seen them in pictures online.  I'm looking at

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0739465659.1063890193@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjeadcjgkfffkecehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=SEARS&bidsite=&pid=03481440000

To me, it doesn't look like it's gonna cut anything; there are no sharp edges or anything.

Do they work?

Thanks

Jim Jones

The single greatest metal-working purchase I've ever made!!!  It's nice to have holes actually be perfectly round.  :)

Jim

Doug H

The one I have works great. I have the bigger one (drills up to 1" diameter) for installing tube sockets. I got it from Sears too and it cuts right through aluminum. Just double-check which step you want to stop at and don't drill any farther. Works like a champ.

Doug

sirkut

I was skeptical but I gave the Unibit a try. Needless to say, that was the single best investment I ever put down besides my digital multimeter. Cuts metal EASILY. Works wonders if you have a drill press too! I love it, you will too.

Peter Snowberg

I've never known an electrician that didn't have one close by at all times.

I love 'em ! :)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

RDV

It should probably be mentioned that while they do work wonderfully, they only work on soft metals.

Regards

RDV

SoundTech

Although it's difficult to see the cutting edge in that pic, it is there.  And, these things are wonderful!  One of the best investments ever.  Cuts through aluminum boxes like butter.  I've done some steel work, too, with no problem.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Ed Rembold

I wish to point out that unibits DO work great in steel too!
I fab my boxes from 1/8 steel,  and I use unibits in my drill press.
Unibits are great, like a hot knife through butter drilling aluminum.
Ed R.

drew

Good lord, I was just at the hardware store and thought the same thing: "What the hell? How is that going to work?!" :)

mattburnside

They work very well. Mine has a tendency to "walk" (the hole doesn't wind up precisely where it started), but I suspect that's due to the fact that I don't have a full-size drill press.

(updates shopping list)
Tonepad -- DIY FX and amp stuff
The Gobos -- Half the talent and twice the beer of those other bands.

aron

They work great for me. Use a punch to center the bit.

JohnM

Or try a small 1/16-ish pilot hole.

Craig V

Thats a good enough recommendation from everyone.  I'm going to pick one up tonight.

Thanks a pant load everyone!!!

MarkB

use a punch to pilot the hole - usually good enough.. and a drop of machine oil (the cheap 3-in-1 stuff works fine) and it will go through the metal easily and you'll end up with a CLEAN hole.

I don't even use a drill press.. just a cheap cordless handheld drill -and it still works great.
"-)

Paul Marossy

I use mine with a variable speed hand drill, too. Works great. I usually center punch the center points of the holes I am going to drill. They get very close to the intended location that way. If I don't center punch first, the bit tends to move around a little bit.

Jered

and any time you are drilling metal, use slow speed so you don't dull your bit.  Jered

Craig V

I got mine today for $30.  Not too bad, might be better deals out there.

It cuts great.  I already drilled 2 boxes with it.  Thank you to everyone who recommended it. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Ammscray

I simply cannot believe that I didn't know about this incredible piece of ingenuity...this thing cuts through Hammond boxes so smooth you could hold the box in one hand while you cut it (but don't do that!)

Thanks for the heads-up on that one, as far as I'm concerned it was the tip of the year...:) ALWAYS drill pilot holes...

I got mine for $16.00 at OSH hardware and Sears was the next best price...

Anyone know how long these things will last, I'm only doing hammomd boxes...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"