Finished a Big Muff...

Started by Thomas P., August 21, 2003, 06:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas P.

...after building several pedals. Since the Big Muff seems to be one of the first choices for the beginning DIY-builder I never wanted to do it. Now I had some time between two project and I thought, why not...

I used JD's schematic and included sockets for various parts such as transistors, diodes and some caps.  After not being able to get 2N5088's I used 2N3604's. All other values are at least approximately those shown in JD's schematic.

First test:  :shock: oh man, what a angry machine! I had good sounds playing higher notes, but way too much bass response playing lower notes. While playing two notes or chords it sounded like the it'll explode in a second. Then I realized that it is maybe too much for the shaka tube which I was driving since I use it as input stage for my SS-amp.

Second test: This time driving the amp directly the sound was still kind of angry but also sweet while playing single notes. A lot of bottom and very dynamic. And sustaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn :D

Since I never played an original, I can't really compare but mine is so low noise that I believe the stock BMP aren't this quiet.
It's not a GE-Fuzz but worth a build, I would say :wink:  (the most of you guys did already one, I believe :wink: )

Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

jsleep

Hi Tomboy,

The Big Muff used to be a hot topic a few years ago in the DIY forums.  Seems to be largely ignore now.  It is a very good distortion, most stock EH factory units don't do the circuit justice!!!

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Thomas P.

Hi JD!

I've seen some of the discussion about it. It seems that there's a huge gap between builders and buyers! If I look at ebay it seems the BMP is still up to date :shock:
But - as you said - it's a good distortion, though. And it can save you some trouble finding the magic GE-trannies :lol:

Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j

Gil

I built it a few months ago -
used 2N5089 and it sounds great. But it's actually sounds much more like a Fuzzface than like an original Big Muff. Strange. A friend who knows the Bigmuff said it sounded really great but "not like Bigmuff sounds"...

Strange. It doesn't have that "explosive bass" you talk about, but has wonderful harmonics at the highs.

Thomas P.

Quote from: GilBut it's actually sounds much more like a Fuzzface than like an original Big Muff.

As I said before I haven't played an original but I ever thought it should sound that way :?
I guess this is a common problem of DIY - building pedals whithout knowing how the 'original' is used to sound :lol:

Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j