2 sided copper boards

Started by Mike Nichting, September 22, 2003, 10:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

would there be an advantage to usoing a 2 sided board in guiytar effects??

Thanks
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Andy

I haven't used them but I hear they're a real pain in the double-sided cheeks if you know what I mean.
Andy

R.G.

There is a technical advantage, but it is about four or more times more difficult to actually make a double sided board at home. This doesn't apply to commercial built boards, where they're sometimes less than two times as expensive.

And we haven't even touched on how difficult laying out a double sided board *well* is.

In general, for home effects, I ditch the double sided stuff. I just threw some double sided stock out - I finally figured out that over the years, I've bought more single sided stock when I ran out rather than use the 2 sided stuff.

YMMV, of course.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

The Tone God

It is possible to do double sided boards at home but its a royal pain in a$$. I have some large sheets of double sided stock that I have had for over 10 years. I used some back when I was designing some microprocessor controlled stuff. I haven't touched it since. Way too painful for the stuff we're doing here.

Some poeple may suggest using the other side as a ground plane to keep noise down or you could use the other side where you would normally need a jumper. IMHO for what you may gain its not worth the trouble. Make your life easy, stick with single.

Andrew

Mike Nichting

Thanks all~!!!
I was looking at some 2oz. double sided military grade board. I will steer clear due to having a hard enough time with single sided boards ;-)

Be well,
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Andy

not to mention it would EAT your etchant up in a HURRY. To do what ToneGod suggests, you'd have to put resist over the other side and that would cost more and be even MORE of a pain.
Andy