im making a stompbox tonight

Started by bassmasta17, November 14, 2008, 05:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You'll have space in the rack, and you'll only need one power supply feeding two effects. Otherwise, mine fits into a Hammond 1590b (approx 111x60x32mm) enclosure with room to spare. I reckon you could fit it into a 1590a enclosure with a bit of planning.

bassmasta17

thanks i also couldn't find the two 680K resistors but i got some 220k that i could wire up in a row to make a 470k right?
i would wire it like this?
220k-220k-220k-10k-10k
also they are all 1/2 watt with 5% tolerance. will that work?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

GREEN FUZ

Wired in series - end to end that is - the values you`ve given actually yield a 700k resistance. Wired in parallel - side by side, all wires connected to each other - amounts to 4.7k. Either way, not what you want and not very pretty. Can`t you find the correct value?

Quotealso they are all 1/2 watt with 5% tolerance. will that work?

No problem.

oskar

The two 680k resistors forma are hooked up as a divider, a voltage reference.
They don't sink a lot of current.
Just substitute the 680k for 220k since that is what you've got.

bassmasta17

ok i see what you are saying. so if you where making this would you use 4, 220k in a series or just use one 220k resitor?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

also what ground do i connect to the battery and what ground do i connect to the sleve?

or in this picture (below) are the two grounds the same point?
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/
thanks alot today is finnaly a day that i can build it. Thanks for all your help.
i have decided to wire it with out a led status. I will be using a swicth to swicth between diodes. Thanks a lot for all of your help!
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

petemoore

I count 7 grounds [if you see another, hook it up too !].
  A cap-, two resitsors, two jack sleeves, an opamp, a volume control lug.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bassmasta17

ok i connect the ground from the battery to the ring. i connect the grounds from the board to the sleeve on the input and output.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 04, 2008, 05:49:52 PM
thanks i also couldn't find the two 680K resistors but i got some 220k that i could wire up in a row ...
...i would wire it like this?
220k-220k-220k-10k-10k

Correct.

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on December 05, 2008, 01:43:58 PM
Wired in series - end to end that is - the values you`ve given actually yield a 700k...

Incorrect.

No wonder I failed Math(s) at school. Surprised no-one pointed it out.

Quote from: bassmasta17 on December 06, 2008, 09:07:04 AM
ok i see what you are saying. so if you where making this would you use 4, 220k in a series or just use one 220k resitor?

I believe Oskar is suggesting that you don`t need to sweat the value of those particular components too much, as they are not critical. Just replace both 680k`s with 220k`s.

bassmasta17

any advice im building it now and eating lunch and looking here for anything that comes up. thanks
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

GREEN FUZ

General advice: Take your time. Work methodically.

bassmasta17

thanks i will have some questions in like 10-30 mins thanks.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

ok decided to go against the swicthes between GE and SI. might add later...
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

ok pcb question

in that pic their are 2 grounds on the board are those the same points?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

GREEN FUZ

Yes - the grounds should all connect together, in one way or another.

bassmasta17

thank for all the help will test it soon!!
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

ok its done but when i turn it on i have to turn up the amp past half way for it to make any sound. Also the battery does nothing. It makes the same amount of sound with or with out. But everything is wired and soldered together right. I think it might be the voltage in the opamp. Any sugestions?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

ok checked the conections again for 30 mins. they are good. I know its a power problem now. im giving up for tonight. tomarow i will try again. I was not suprized when it didnt work.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

bassmasta17

i read some where on here that taltaum caps are polar. would that make a sound diffrence?
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

ItZaLLgOOd

Quotei read some where on here that taltaum caps are polar. would that make a sound diffrence?

Make sure that you have it oriented correctly and you be fine.  Which value did you get tant. for?
Lifes to short for cheap beer