Source Audio Multiband Distortion

Started by aloupos, November 16, 2008, 09:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aloupos

I'm really surprised no-one is talking about these effects here, as these guys at source audio are doing some really cool things.  I just picked one of these up because I'm always wanting to bring some 7ths and 9ths into my bands stuff, but the pedals I use create mud if you try to go too far past 5ths.   This pedal splits the signal into 10 frequency bands, applies distortion independently, then re-combines them, resulting in a very clear distorted signal, almost hi-fi. 

On the downside, it imparts a strange feel when playing notes, but I see this as something I need to overcome as a player, and not something that would be perceived by an audience or listener of a recording. 

Anyway, what do you think?  Is this innovation ?

Check out this youtube demo ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IxPvMRWj40

Anthony

Boogdish

I didn't watch that demo, but given your description Craig Anderton's Quadrafuzz did the same thing, I believe.  It only split it into 4 channels and it was I think a rack mount unit.  The progress it seems is being able to fit so much more circuitry in a smaller space.

bwanasonic

I was lucky enough to work as an *audio consultant* on the multiband distortion, and spend some time with Source Audio's chief scientist Bob Chidlaw, known for his work at Kurzweil. This pedal goes far beyond the Quadra-Fuzz, but since it is DSP, does impart a slightly *synthetic* feel. At some settings the Multiband the gets some quite *synthy* sounds, and it took me a while to pry myself away from the stranger settings and dig into the more *normal* sounds. Overall I find the pedal quite musical, but it is not a garden variety distortion, and takes some time to get the most of it. I don't often use the motion-control ring with it, but it is pretty darn cool. Bod Chidlaw really knows his stuff, and has really good taste.

PS: I found this to be a more interesting demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmq0KkaJJOs&feature=related

alanlan

Quote from: bwanasonic on December 09, 2008, 06:08:42 PM
I was lucky enough to work as an *audio consultant* on the multiband distortion...
we can blame you for the crappy sounds then eh?

Pushtone

That don't sound right alanlan.

If I were bwanasonic I'd feel burned.

I'm keeping an

on you.  ;)

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

alanlan

obviously not accustomed to a northern sense of humour....

bwanasonic

Quote from: alanlan on December 09, 2008, 06:25:47 PM
I was lucky enough to work as an *audio consultant* on the multiband distortion...
we can blame you for the crappy sounds then eh?

I wish! No, the pedal was developed before I got involved. They valued my opinion for some reason?!  :icon_lol: Bob Chidlaw approached me after a gig and thought I might be interested in beta-testing some of their pedals. Amusingly enough, Bob became a Germanium Fuzz fanatic after hearing my homebrew FF! He previously thought the germanium thing was hype-mojo. Look for Source Audio to release a DSP Germanium fuzz if Bob ever gets around to it.  :icon_wink:

alanlan

Seriously though, it does sound interesting and pretty neat.  I wonder what happens to all that nice intermodulation and beat frequencies when you split up the frequency spectrum like that and combine linearly assuming that's how it's done.  I'm sure it's still there but different in some way.

snufkin

this is so cool  :D

i really think these more advanced implementations of "simple" effects are the way forward in pedal/effect design

i don't really like the hot hand (i have enough trouble playing normal guitar) but this could be a very interesting pedal
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

tommy.genes

Quote from: bwanasonic on December 09, 2008, 06:08:42 PM...since it is DSP, does impart a slightly *synthetic* feel...

I'm curious; in that demo video you linked, was I hearing a lot of that "synthetic" feel, or was that compression artifacts of the YouTube video?

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

cheeb

Man, I've had my heart set on one of these for nearly a year. I want one so bad I can't stand it. Must...pay...credit...card...bill...first!

ianmgull

PS: I found this to be a more interesting demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmq0KkaJJOs&feature=related

Wow. That first riff...what he called "normal" setting sounded amazing to me. I wonder if it "feels" as good as it sounds.

....Must...resist...urge... Can't admit to liking dsp.....   :icon_eek:

rnfr

i think it's a really cool idea, but after watching those two videos, i can't help but say that it sounds really raspy in the high end, and the high mids don't sound as harmonically rich as i would like.  although, that little chip is probably workin it's ass off!  i wonder how something like this would sound- 10 frequency multiband- if they did it all with SMD components.  they might be able to get the parts into stompbox form.  i know the quadrafuzz takes up a whole rack space and it's only 4 band. 

how many bands is enough anyway?

bwanasonic

Quote from: rnfr on December 10, 2008, 03:27:40 AM
i think it's a really cool idea, but after watching those two videos, i can't help but say that it sounds really raspy in the high end, and the high mids don't sound as harmonically rich as i would like.  although, that little chip is probably workin it's ass off!  i wonder how something like this would sound- 10 frequency multiband- if they did it all with SMD components.  they might be able to get the parts into stompbox form.  i know the quadrafuzz takes up a whole rack space and it's only 4 band. 

The Multiband is doing more than just splitting the signal and distorting it. There is both compression and noise-reduction circuitry as well as the fold-back and octave algorithms. Also, I wouldn't rely too much on youtube video to evaluate the finer points of any distortion effect. And keep in mind the Multiband is probably not going to work as your only distortion. I still keep my Nobels ODR1 and RAT2 on my board.