Tufnel Distortion

Started by dano12, November 18, 2008, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

That looks cool!

I just finished an overdrive with a 386, based on the smash drive. It's kind of a cross between a Mozart and a Bach. Sort of a...."moch".

(Yeah, it comes off much better spoken than written.)

Maybe if it was done in "doubley"....
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

jayp5150

Quote from: Electron Tornado on November 19, 2008, 01:13:14 PM
That looks cool!

I just finished an overdrive with a 386, based on the smash drive. It's kind of a cross between a Mozart and a Bach. Sort of a...."moch".

(Yeah, it comes off much better spoken than written.)

Maybe if it was done in "doubley"....

So, the official name is "Lick My Love Pump: right? lol  :D

Man, I need to watch that one again soon.

Mark Hammer

And of course, there needs to be one unlabelled knob that you can't touch.  In fact don't even look at it.

BTW did anyone here ever manage to buy some of those Tufnel volume knobs that I think DiMarzio sold in the 80's that really DID go up to 11?  I wonder if they still make those.

dano12

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 19, 2008, 02:04:05 PM
And of course, there needs to be one unlabelled knob that you can't touch.  In fact don't even look at it.

BTW did anyone here ever manage to buy some of those Tufnel volume knobs that I think DiMarzio sold in the 80's that really DID go up to 11?  I wonder if they still make those.

LOL, that is a brilliant idea

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Speed-Knob-Replacement-111?sku=424662

anti-idiot

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 19, 2008, 02:04:05 PM

[Imitating Nigel's accent]

Exactly.
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

Mark Hammer

Ya gotta love the first customer review there: "I was looking for a knob that made my guitar louder, and I found it with this Dimarzio knob. When I need that little kick over the edge, I can just turn my guitar up to 11, one louder than 10. I love this knob. I also put it as my tone knobs to make the tone a little brighter. It changed my tone so much. It's 1 louder, and 1 brighter." :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Incidentally, as near as I can tell, the whole "11 thing" was a result of the first gliimerings of the vintage craze.  Tweed and similar amps used legending that went from 1-12, continuing the old tradition of referring to positions in terms of "o'clock" positions.  As interest in pre-1960 amps started to grow, there was a mystique developing about amps that "went to 12", in complete disregard of the fact that the 1-12 was simply paint on the chassis.  And of course, with 11 being in between 10 (the newer legending on the Fender knobs) and 12, you know it just HAD to be better somehow.

bassmasta17

makes you wonder...
do you think some one has made some kind of "extended range pot"?

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 19, 2008, 03:05:21 PM
Ya gotta love the first customer review there: "I was looking for a knob that made my guitar louder, and I found it with this Dimarzio knob. When I need that little kick over the edge, I can just turn my guitar up to 11, one louder than 10. I love this knob. I also put it as my tone knobs to make the tone a little brighter. It changed my tone so much. It's 1 louder, and 1 brighter." :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_lol: time to make knobs that go to 11!  :icon_lol:
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

Simon Owen

Why not just make 10 louder?

foxfire

i've got an old Earth head that goes to 12... i really do but, i'm not allowed to look at it so i'm not sure where it is.
rylan

Mark Hammer

Quote from: foxfire on November 19, 2008, 03:27:11 PM
i've got an old Earth head that goes to 12... i really do but, i'm not allowed to look at it so i'm not sure where it is.
rylan
I've got that problem licked on my two tweed amps; after 49 years, the numbers are pretty much rubbed off now.  For all I know, they might go to 13.

DougH

The big question is how does this Tufnel distortion sound if you use a violin bow, or kick the guitar?
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Quote from: dano12 on November 19, 2008, 09:22:10 AM
In the end, tone shaping seemed to be so not part of the Tufnel philosophy.

Another variation on this you could try would be the "Rip Glitter mod"- turn all the knobs all the way up and then break them off!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Sir H C

Just remember to make the 10 ohm resistors 2 watts or so, or you could have a smoking good time.   :icon_mrgreen:

Electron Tornado

When you paint the pedal are you going to use the original cover art from Smell the Glove, or the just black cover?  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

snap

Quote from: Sir H C on November 19, 2008, 04:56:27 PM
Just remember to make the 10 ohm resistors 2 watts or so, or you could have a smoking good time.   :icon_mrgreen:

check out the reactance of the seriescaps with those 10 ohmers! (3.4k at 10kHz).

Sir H C

I was thinking about that in the shower this morning, forgot that it was small cap in series.   :icon_redface:

foxfire

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 19, 2008, 04:08:31 PM
Quote from: foxfire on November 19, 2008, 03:27:11 PM
rylan
I've got that problem licked on my two tweed amps; after 49 years, the numbers are pretty much rubbed off now.  For all I know, they might go to 13.

NO WAY MAN! no amp can go to 13! that's like, IMPOSSIBLE!
rylan

bipedal

Too many 'Tap' quotes running through my mind right now.

Awesome looking project.

I'm afraid I already have a "Love Pump" in my pedal arsenal.  It was too perfect not to use as the name for my Tremulus Lune...  I'll leave it at that.   :icon_wink:

- Jay

"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

Mark Hammer

Quote from: foxfire on November 20, 2008, 09:49:53 AM
rylan
It's all in the biasing, baby! :icon_wink:  But just to be safe, I rubbed some thermal compound on the underside of my tubes, where they touch the sockets.  Just to make sure that when the amp actually hits 13, the heat doesn't destroy the tubes.  I figure I can use the chassis like a heat sink. :icon_mrgreen:

foxfire

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 20, 2008, 11:28:27 AM
Quote from: foxfire on November 20, 2008, 09:49:53 AM
rylan
It's all in the biasing, baby! :icon_wink:  But just to be safe, I rubbed some thermal compound on the underside of my tubes, where they touch the sockets.  Just to make sure that when the amp actually hits 13, the heat doesn't destroy the tubes.  I figure I can use the chassis like a heat sink. :icon_mrgreen:

forget playing bars and whatnot, only play meat lockers...
rylan