Tufnel Distortion

Started by dano12, November 18, 2008, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

Sound very nice...thx a lot!

MKULTRA

FiveseveN

What it says on the tin: Four Knob Rat prototype number 2.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

MKULTRA

Quote from: FiveseveN on November 28, 2008, 08:43:30 AM
What it says on the tin: Four Knob Rat prototype number 2.
Oh, how completely stupid of me. If  knew that FKR was an abreviation for Four Knob Rat I would not have asked. Show a little courtesy and answer an innocent question in a less condescending manner.

bassmasta17

hey hey hey now lets not start anything. lets keep it clean.

and proper

something i found today i thought was funny. delete this if you thinks a waste of space.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

dano12

Quote from: MKULTRA on November 26, 2008, 06:34:17 PM
Quote from: DWBH on November 26, 2008, 06:10:23 PM
Go with these knobs

What is this beast ?

Hey MK, it was one of the FKR (Four Knob Rat) prototypes I built. There is more info here:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/FKR/

dano12

Quote from: runmikeyrun on November 27, 2008, 07:33:37 PM
I just made a sound sample at www.myspace.com/dissoluteideas1.  Turn your speakers down some, this thing really does go to 11.

The clip begins w/ both gains at min, then the 1st gain only at max, then the second gain only at max, then both gains at max.  Watch out, it gets VERY loud at the end because there is some sort of oscillation/hum going on when i'm not playing.  If anyone has any ideas on that i'd appreciate some help!  I wonder if it's because put both chips right next to each other... it's the worst when both gains are all the way up.

It also sounds like i have a ground issue, there's a constant hum that gets louder as the gains are turned up.  I've checked all my grounds 3 times and even changed the filter cap because it motorboats when on full gain and there's only a small amount of signal coming in.  That also might be due to my chip placement.  Any ideas on getting rid of motorboating?

If i can get this oscillation issue figured out i might put in a clean boost section so i can use a blend pot for bass guitar.  Some clipping diodes might be an option too, it would definitely help contain the output which as previously stated is REALLY LOUD!

Thanks for the clip! It sounds *way* different then mine. I'll post a clip of what mine sounds like as soon as get back to the beavis labs. Been on the road forever.....

B Tremblay

Quote from: dano12 on November 29, 2008, 08:22:22 AM
Hey MK, it was one of the FKR (Four Knob Rat) prototypes I built. There is more info here:

I was on the phone with Mark at OLCircuits.com and he mentioned the circuit, simply calling it "the f*cker."  I said "Wha?!?" and then he explained it was Dan's FKR.  As low-brow as I can be, I had never read it as anything other than "eff kay arr."
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Paul Marossy

Very interesting sounding circuit. Definitely has a unique flavor to it.

Nitefly182

Quote from: B Tremblay on November 29, 2008, 08:59:00 AM

I was on the phone with Mark at OLCircuits.com and he mentioned the circuit, simply calling it "the f*cker."  I said "Wha?!?" and then he explained it was Dan's FKR.  As low-brow as I can be, I had never read it as anything other than "eff kay arr."

n00b.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

dano12

Quote from: B Tremblay on November 29, 2008, 08:59:00 AM

LOL. I finally gave up on the pretense of the eff kay arr and simply call it the f*ker now. So much easier.

dano12

Done!

What I learned:

1. Slamming one 386 into another is certainly over the top, and the two gain controls are fun, but it is still to raw. I think that a buffer at the input leading to a volume control before the first 386 would yield a more useful effect.
2. The output is just too hot for practical use. Drive any other pedal and it will clip the signal. I tried various voltage divider arrangements at the output but no real luck.
3. The output signal overpowers the "tone" control. Need to rethink that.
4. Epoxying metal letters on a box requires more patience than I have :)
5. This circuit really needs some type of high-pass filter at the front. Amplifying the full range of bass makes it muddy.
6. Having the "World's Loudest Stompbox" is certainly cool, until you realize that you can never turn it up past three.

Here's a vid so you can hear what it sounds like.

http://vimeo.com/2421886

bassmasta17

just got an idea dano...
devolt wah pedal.
would let you control the sound coming out of that analog delay pedal.
just mount the guts in a old crybaby and replace the 1/4 jacks with the power cable.

call it the Volt Masta  :icon_lol:  :P :icon_lol:
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

DWBH

Cool pedal, but the sounds didn't really do it for me.

DougH

It would benefit from some low pass filtering.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

dano12

Quote from: DougH on December 04, 2008, 09:33:34 AM
It would benefit from some low pass filtering.

That's the least of its troubles.

:)

DougH

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Btw, I like your noize video. Sounds like you were having fun. :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

Whoa, those are some cool knobs (referring to your completed Tufnel). Where did you get those?

dano12

Quote from: Paul Marossy on December 04, 2008, 04:58:23 PM
Whoa, those are some cool knobs (referring to your completed Tufnel). Where did you get those?

don't recall for sure but they should be on my knobapalooza page:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Knobs/knobs.htm