Tufnel Distortion

Started by dano12, November 18, 2008, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfish

...What? No umlauts?

You know it'll need at least one...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

DougH

Something else you might consider is adding a few extra LEDs on it to help you find the stage.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

BDuguay

Quote from: DougH on November 21, 2008, 07:38:57 AM
Something else you might consider is adding a few extra LEDs on it to help you find the stage.

Especially for those Cleveland gigs.
'Rock'n'Roll!!!
B.

That's just nit-picking innit...

On a serious note, I've been asked about an over the top distortion type-thing, so I'm quite interested in building this. Any chance of a soundclip ??

raulgrell

I'd also be interested in hearing some sound samples, I've been getting really into insane distortions  ;D

bassmasta17

Quote from: BDuguay on November 21, 2008, 07:54:08 AM

Especially for those Cleveland gigs.
'Rock'n'Roll!!!
B.

did someone say Cleveland gigs??
haha. i have had a cupple of those. but i think you are using somekind of slang i havent heard of yet.
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

CodeMonk

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 19, 2008, 09:13:31 AM
I hasten to remind you that the zone where the gain is applied in the 386 can be determined simply by sticking a cap in series with the 1k gain pot.  Normally, we are used to the pin 1-8 path being bridged by either a pot, or a fixed resistor, or a pot and large value cap (10uf).  replace that cap with a smaller value (e.g., .047uf or .01uf) and the gain is applied only in the mids or upper frequencies.  It works a bit like emitter caps.

Another thought here...
How about the .01uf on one of the gain sections and say a .2uf on the other gain section?

And hey, I've got 4 386 chips with nothing to use them for, how about using all 4 ? :) (my nearest neighbor is about a 1/4 mile away). Then I could go up to 22 instead of just 11 :)

ilponiz

Quote from: dano12 on November 18, 2008, 08:25:31 PM
In a recent quest to make the loudest rudest distortion as simply as possible I came back to my favorite chip ever: the 386.

Here are two of them cascaded. No silly tone knob because Nigel would have just sneered at that. Two gain controls, on volume knob, and loads of sustain.

And yes, it does go to 11.

:)

you're the man, mate!
i'll build one and use it with an amp like this:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

have a glorious day, dano

poniz

dano12

For the last few nights I've been meaning to take the tufnel off the breadboard to move onto other more pressing projects. But I just kept thinking about it and the few remaining tweaks that would make it really nice.

The first problem is that the V1 circuit really is overly bright. I tweaked C4 from 47n to 4n7 and it seem to tame a bit of the shrillness. Second was a lack of a filter control. Even thought the spirit of the design was for unadulterated raunchy distortion, it seemed a lot less useful on the pedalboard without a filter. So I added a simple filter at the end--these are the new VR3 and C11 parts. It is an effective, if crude, tone control.

So here is v1.1 of the tufnel, a bit more useful and still tons of fun.

Paul Marossy

Huh, very interesting circuit. I thought that the Smash Drive was intense enough, I can't imagine this one. Do any soundclips exist for this thing yet?

dano12

Quote from: 1878 on November 21, 2008, 01:06:29 PM
On a serious note, I've been asked about an over the top distortion type-thing, so I'm quite interested in building this. Any chance of a soundclip ??

On the breadboard, the high-gain nature of the circuit (doh) causes real extreme noise and oscillation.

I'm committing it to protoboard tonight, so hopefully that will solve some of the noise issues and I'll do a vid soon.

raulgrell

Ummmm... slightly nooby question... but what's that thing on your board wrapped in copper wire?

dano12

Quote from: raulgrell on November 24, 2008, 08:32:06 PM
Ummmm... slightly nooby question... but what's that thing on your board wrapped in copper wire?

ninja part. first person who guesses its function wins. Prize = adulation.

Nitefly182

Quote from: dano12 on November 24, 2008, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: raulgrell on November 24, 2008, 08:32:06 PM

ninja part. first person who guesses its function wins. Prize = adulation.

Ninja parts are the new mojo parts.

John Lyons

Inductor/Choke I would guess.
Although there was talk of a resistor with a lot of current so maybe a homespun wire wound 10ohm?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Marossy

I also thought it was an antenna. I've seen antennas like that in transistor radios when I was a kid in the 70s...

doug deeper

its an antenna, to simulate the scene at the military base when tufnels wireless picks up radio signals!

dano12

Quote from: doug deeper on November 25, 2008, 09:53:18 AM
its an antenna, to simulate the scene at the military base when tufnels wireless picks up radio signals!

Lol! The great Band Breakup Scene!

it is not an antenna.

Here's a clue: what is 12 minus 12?

frequencycentral

Quote from: dano12 on November 25, 2008, 10:00:01 AM
Quote from: doug deeper on November 25, 2008, 09:53:18 AM

Lol! The great Band Breakup Scene!

it is not an antenna.

Here's a clue: what is 12 minus 12?

It's a very cool ninja/mojo jumper/0 ohm resistor?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!