New Hammond Enclosure Offerings?

Started by liquids, December 31, 2009, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquids

While I'm equally a fan of bud econoboxes when I order from Mouser, and of course the NS series, if I'm already doing an order with Smallbear, and typically paint boxes myself, I still use the Hammond 1590 webpage as a reference point for enclosure sizes, and use their prices on mouser a my price reference point.

Not sure how new this is, but just now when I went here http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

I saw there is a new 1550 series http://www.hammondmfg.com/1550.htm

And there is also a 'new' ofshoot of the 1590 series with a few painted colors beyond the black.  To me what is notable is that they are listed as "stombox" series, and says "...smooth gloss polyester powder paint for a lasting finish, even after machining....allows for easy adhesion of labels and/or silk screens."

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm

And I wonder if the NS painted series (or whatever it is that smallbear is carrying) and if what we do around here,and what small production pedal companies in general (and elsewhere) are doing is enough of a market to influence hammonds product offerings?   That is a cool thought!
Breadboard it!

craigmillard

Very Interesting! :)

Hopefully they will apear in farnells uk catalog soon!

jkokura

If these 1550's are designed for Pedal builders, why didn't they have any heights I want? I like the 125B cause it's tall enought I can get two jacks and the DC on the short end, with the jacks being low enough they don't bother the pots! Those 1550's I can't do that in, unless I want a box that 2" tall and that's getting to be too big!

Jacob

liquids

I don't think the 1550 are designed for pedal builders.   Only the new 1590 painted mention anything about stompboxes.  Those are just 1590BBs with paint.

But Why is 2 inches too deep?  I don't get that. 

Actually, I fail to understand the love for the 1590BB, because I want my pedalboard as close to having all jacks on top as I can get it.  Even with small plugs, even two 125B with plugs sticking out of them take up more space left to right than two 1590C/1690s right next to each other, with jacks on top.

Likwise,  putting the jacks on top with most other pedals allows nothing else in that area.  With a 1590C (or anything 2 inches deep) I can put the jacks 'on top' and also have space to put knobs/pots near the top of the face of the box. 

If it's 'too tall' than just sink the stompswitch to not stick out the face of the box so much.   

The 125Bs are minimum height for me, so the 1550D is perfect as it's about the same size but 2 inches deep. 

More than trying to convince you, I mean to say, YMMV.  Not everyone has the same priorities.

Breadboard it!

liquids

Either way, I hope you are familiar with the 1590S, which is only slightly taller than the 125B (1.57 inches or 40mm) but is otherwise between the 125B and the 1590BB in size, without being as tall as the 1590C/1690NS.
Breadboard it!

jkokura

Quote from: liquids on December 31, 2009, 11:05:10 AM
I don't think the 1550 are designed for pedal builders.   Only the new 1590 painted mention anything about stompboxes.  Those are just 1590BBs with paint.

But Why is 2 inches too deep?  I don't get that. 

Actually, I fail to understand the love for the 1590BB, because I want my pedalboard as close to having all jacks on top as I can get it.  Even with small plugs, even two 125B with plugs sticking out of them take up more space left to right than two 1590C/1690s right next to each other, with jacks on top.

Likwise,  putting the jacks on top with most other pedals allows nothing else in that area.  With a 1590C (or anything 2 inches deep) I can put the jacks 'on top' and also have space to put knobs/pots near the top of the face of the box. 

If it's 'too tall' than just sink the stompswitch to not stick out the face of the box so much.   

The 125Bs are minimum height for me, so the 1550D is perfect as it's about the same size but 2 inches deep. 

More than trying to convince you, I mean to say, YMMV.  Not everyone has the same priorities.

I don't much like the 1590B. Like you, I like my jacks on top of my boxes so I can put them directly side by side. I do like the 1590BB though, I use it so that it's taller and not as wide (4.5" vertically, 3.5 horizontally) and I can easily get my jacks on the top of that. I can get four jacks and a DC plug if I had to, but that's pretty rare. I also like the 1590DD for multiple effects in one box.

But for smaller boxes, the 1590B is great it you like side jacks and top DC, but I don't. the 125B is much better. I use that and the 1790NS as well - the 1790 is great for a two effect box, or for something like the fooldrive which has a PCB that won't get into a BB easy.

But as for the 2" depth, that's a 1/2" taller box than the 125B, 1790NS and 2/3" taller than a BB. Usuable? Yes. However, if boxes like that are below boxes that are shorter on my pedal board, I'm more likely to hit their knobs. Not to mention, I don't need the extra room at all, the boxes I like to use are just fine as far as height is concerned ;)

was thinking about using 1590A's for a few things, but after getting an AB box into one, I realized that the boxes are just tooo small. I might use a 1590B for things like a A/B or A/B/Y box, or even to do something like a buffer without a knob cause then I don't have to worry about the jacks getting in the way of my knobs.

Jacob

jdub

I, for one, would dig a box like a 1590BB but the same depth as a 125B.  Is there such a beast?
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

jkokura

liquids

Snippets from my enclosure worksheet, everything is in mm.. (6mm = ~1/4 inch)

Box:            H      W      D
125B          121    66    35      
1550D        115    64    51        
CU-479       111    60    50        
1590S         111    82    40  
CU-471       110    82    44
1590BB       119    94    30
1550C        115    90    51    
1590C        121    94    53        
CU-234       120    93    52      

Quote from: jkokura on December 31, 2009, 09:16:11 PM
Isn't that the Hammond 1590S?

Yeah, the hammond S is a good choice as mentioned before.  However, as you can see above, it's a quarter inch shorter and half an inch thinner L-R...so it's considerably 'smaller' than the BB though deeper.   The only thing the same size with more depth is the 'C' type, which adds 3/4 of an inch of depth....

There is this option which is 1.7" deep or so, which is cool, but allegedly doesn't do well with paint.

http://www.roadrageprogear.com/en1004.html
Breadboard it!