A/DA Flanger retrofit with MN3007

Started by moosapotamus, November 19, 2008, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosapotamus

Still also need to swap the 1K and 14K resistors like OSA mentioned. So here...

Right?

Thanks
~Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

oldschoolanalog

Kind of rough on the eyes for midnight. A bit of a sadistic streak, have we Charlie?  :icon_lol:
However, between squints and blinks, it looks all good. Layout on the way?
Thanks (I think. :D)
Dave
PS: Is there something subliminal in there?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on December 05, 2008, 12:07:56 AM
PS: Is there something subliminal in there?

Yes. You must stare very closely for a very, very long time... And listen to Magical Mystery Tour backwards at the same time... Maybe have a couple of drinks, too. :D

So, anyway...

Yes, I fixed the layout (but you'll be the judge of that :D). Won't be able to post it until later tonight, tho.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

moosapotamus

OK, here's the latest round of corrections. The area in question now looks like this...

And the full layout is here...
http://moosapotamus.net/ADAflangerOVRmn3007.gif

To use the 3007 chip...
Do not install Q2. Jump the outside legs of Q2 together.
Do not install the 0.1uF capacitor located below C33.
Install jumpers from P to P1, R to R1 and T to T1.
Install the 1K and 14K resistors as shown.

To use a 3207 chip...
Install Q2.
Install the 0.1uF capacitor located below C33.
Install jumpers from P to P2, R to R2 and T to T2.
Install the 1K resistor where the 14K is shown.
Install the 14K where the 1K is shown.

Check it out please. 8)

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: moosapotamus on December 05, 2008, 08:23:45 AM
Yes. You must stare very closely for a very, very long time... And listen to Magical Mystery Tour backwards at the same time... Maybe have a couple of drinks, too :D
I tried what you said in vain. :icon_cry: Maybe this is more of a job for Laughing Sam's Dice... :icon_twisted:

Let the games begin.
The 3007 layout was correct the first time, and still is. Very  :icon_cool:.
After it took me a minute to realize how you went about it (Real nice work!); The 3207 layout is now "on the money". Very, very  :icon_cool:.
Thanx for your effort and patience. You rule!
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

Allright! 8) Thanks, Dave. I guess it's time to take this back to the For Sale/Trade forum. 8)

Thanks!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

oldschoolanalog

OK. As this seems to be getting wrapped up; I am going to organize as much of the BBD retrofit data I can find and start a new "The BBD Retrofit Thread" early next week. By popular demand  :D. Now it's time to get to work on all the questions and ideas that were mentioned earlier here. It'll be nice to have all this info in one place.
Stay tuned...
Dave

Rocket Roll

Does this mean we'll soon see a ready-to-print PCB layout here or on moosapotamus.net?
"Goin' down where Southern cross' the Dog"

oldschoolanalog

moosapotamus

Quote from: Rocket Roll on December 06, 2008, 07:41:28 PM
Does this mean we'll soon see a ready-to-print PCB layout here or on moosapotamus.net?

So that would be a big "yes"! 8)

Please chime in on that thread over in the For Sale/Trade forum so I can get a rough head count of how many folks are going to be up for building this. Would like to get a feel for the number of boards to have made up.

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Ry

Any plans to make up a daughter board for the older revision boards out there ;) 

Alternately, a set of plans for it would be appreciated.  I can't quite justify the cost of a whole new board, but I would very much like to compare the two.

moosapotamus

Quote from: Ry on December 07, 2008, 11:20:55 AM
Any plans to make up a daughter board for the older revision boards out there ;) 

It's really pretty simple. In addition to the BBD chip, six components and a trim pot... that's it. In fact, you could probably fit it into the open perfboard area in the lower left corner of the PCB and use a few flying leads to tie it in. 8)

Quote from: Ry on December 07, 2008, 11:20:55 AM
Alternately, a set of plans for it would be appreciated.  I can't quite justify the cost of a whole new board, but I would very much like to compare the two.

For starters, the schematic is at the top of this page. But I think some details on what connection to make where could definately be arranged. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Ry

A quick diagram would be great, although I'm sure I can figure it out if I spent a bit of time with it  :icon_redface:

Thanks!

carrejans

Sorry, if this is asked before.

Is it possible to use 3205 in this new version of the ADA?

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: carrejans on January 18, 2009, 04:18:12 AM
If you mean a 3207 look here. Click on the first link in the first post.  Read the building notes. ;)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73483.0
If you do mean a 3205, realize that: The 3207 is a 1024 stage BBD. The 3205 is a 4096 stage BBD. The 3207 has a standard 8 pin DIP footprint. The 3205 has 8pins, but has the footprint of a 14 pin chip.
Save them 3205's for long delays. The 3207 is inexpensive and readily available.
Dave

carrejans

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 18, 2009, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: carrejans on January 18, 2009, 04:18:12 AM
If you mean a 3207 look here. Click on the first link in the first post.  Read the building notes. ;)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73483.0
If you do mean a 3205, realize that: The 3207 is a 1024 stage BBD. The 3205 is a 4096 stage BBD. The 3207 has a standard 8 pin DIP footprint. The 3205 has 8pins, but has the footprint of a 14 pin chip.
Save them 3205's for long delays. The 3207 is inexpensive and readily available.
Dave

Yep, I did mean a 3205 (it is a clone from Coolaudio). I know it is a 4096 stage BBD; but was just wondering if the 3207 can be swapped with this one without any modifications. (besides the different footprint)

BTW, what are the differences soundwise between the 3207 and 3007?

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: carrejans on January 18, 2009, 10:10:00 AM
Yep, I did mean a 3205 (it is a clone from Coolaudio). I know it is a 4096 stage BBD; but was just wondering if the 3207 can be swapped with this one without any modifications. (besides the different footprint)
Probably could be made to work. However the minimum delay time would be very limited. I don't think you could clock a 4096 stage BBD high enough to get a real good flange sound. Chorus, maybe.
BTW, what are the differences soundwise between the 3207 and 3007?
Very little. You would have to compare them side by side to notice very subtle differences.
Dave

carrejans

Thanks for the answers.
And of course for the adapted design. I ordered one.  :icon_biggrin:

snap

Stratman

Hi guys :) Long time lurker...

This thread just reminded me I still have some parts to get for my SAD version of moose's board. I was wondering given all the animated pictures we have so far for alternate chip configurations for the new boards, whether or not instructions for using older boards with an MN3007 was still on the cards?

Regards,
Stratman ;)