A/DA Flanger retrofit with MN3007

Started by moosapotamus, November 19, 2008, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

The SAD1024 version will run at 9v, you just need to adjust the bias.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Zben3129

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 24, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

True, but 15v provides more headroom. The problem is that mn3207 has a limit of 9v and cannot be run on 15v no matter what, so 9v is the ceiling.

Zach

snap

Auke Haarsma

is more always better? Do we really need 15V for a guitar-signal? I'd say it can be run perfectly on 9V, signal-wise.

Gila_Crisis

nice tread!
it would be nice if someone can make a tutorial how to change the SAD1024 with the MN3007, if the basis is always the same for every SAD1024 based FX.
this would be great, 'cause SAd1024 are becoming almost impossible to find nowadays!

StephenGiles

Quote from: Zben3129 on November 24, 2008, 05:20:44 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on November 24, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

True, but 15v provides more headroom. The problem is that mn3207 has a limit of 9v and cannot be run on 15v no matter what, so 9v is the ceiling.

Zach

Yes, and the additional headroom would also allow multitrack recorder processing.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Ever seen a clock + buffer using LM339 + CMOS4069? This seems to use 3 gates in parallel to drive 2 x MN 3005.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/KINTEKKT24.pdf

StephenGiles

Michael Allen

All you need to do is reverse the power connections.

So now, GND goes to MN3207 pin 1 and V+ goes to pin 5. The circuitry connected to MN3007 pin 1 in your circuit should still be connected to MN3207 to filter the + power supply but the trimmer coming from MN3207 pin 7/8 should now be referenced to ground instead. Pin 4 doesn't matter whether it's referenced to ground or power if I recall...

Compare the schematics for the FL9 and the FL301, and you can see it's only the power rails and output resistor that need to be rewired.
http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=52
http://www.mojotronics.com/images/FL9.pdf

If you were going to insert header pins on the PCB that could allow for jumpering, that would allow for one PCB to accommodate both chips. Excellent idea!

moosapotamus

So, to show how the 3207 would work in the schematic, you would just simply relabel pin 1 as pin 5, and relabel pin 5 as pin 1... swap them? And, of course, include a +9V regulator for the 3207.

If that's right, it would be pretty easy to do the layout with a couple of jumpers so that either chip could be used. Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

StephenGiles

moosapotamus

and then... "The Universal ADA Layout"... well, maybe not right now. ;)

I'll just work on the 3007/3207 hybrid layout for now. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Auke Haarsma

do you by any chance have the schematic available as an eagle-file?

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

cathexis

Thanks for posting this schem, Charlie. I've been putting off flangers for a long time, mainly due to lack of SAD1024 chips. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the pain involved in veroing this circuit over christmas!   :D ;D :D ;D

StephenGiles

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

Quote from: Michael Allen on November 25, 2008, 05:07:50 PM
All you need to do is reverse the power connections.

So now, GND goes to MN3207 pin 1 and V+ goes to pin 5. The circuitry connected to MN3007 pin 1 in your circuit should still be connected to MN3207 to filter the + power supply but the trimmer coming from MN3207 pin 7/8 should now be referenced to ground instead. Pin 4 doesn't matter whether it's referenced to ground or power if I recall...

Compare the schematics for the FL9 and the FL301, and you can see it's only the power rails and output resistor that need to be rewired.
http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=52
http://www.mojotronics.com/images/FL9.pdf

If you were going to insert header pins on the PCB that could allow for jumpering, that would allow for one PCB to accommodate both chips. Excellent idea!

OK. Just to be clear, here is my interpretation. Someone please set me straight if something isn't right, or give me a thumbs-up if it all looks good.

MN3007 setup...

MN3207 setup

Aside from adding a 9V regulator on the +V rail for the MN3207, does that look correct?

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

oldschoolanalog

The 1k & 14k resistors need to be switched around so Vgg=14/15Vdd.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

moosapotamus

Thanks, Dave. I'm kinda tied up today, but should be able to post the new ADA layout, updated to use either 3007 or 3207, within the next couple of days. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net