zener diode continuity check

Started by rhdwave, November 23, 2008, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhdwave

Just finished soldering a phase 45 on a stripboard and was checking all the usual spots for continuity when i ran into a spot that had a trace cut between but still showed continuity.  I finally figured out it was the zener diode that was causing this 'short circuit'.  My question is, i'm obviously checking continuity w/ no power attached...once a battery or dc connection is hooked up will the diode prevent continuity where there is now?

Much thanks for any responses... :)

R.G.

There is no substitute for knowing the details.

When your meter says "Continuity = Yes" what does that really mean?

In most meters it means that the voltage read between the two probes when forcing X current through them is at least Y volts. X and Y vary from meter to meter, but it's unusual when Y is not big enough to forward bias a silicon diode. Mine does, at least. I'm guessing that is what your meter is doing.

A very few meters use sensing voltages under +/- 0.4V to avoid turning on diodes. Even fewer force a small current through and let you trace the current with a pickup coil.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

rhdwave