Where to buy Muriatic Acid in UK?

Started by Deano, November 28, 2008, 08:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deano

Does anyone know where you can buy Muriatic Acid for PCB etching in the uk?
Can you get it at places like B&Q?

GP

Muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid... particularly a dilute form. I don't know if you can buy it at B&Q but it's used as a brick cleaner after building work so maybe somewhere like Jewson's is a good bet?

GP

I suspect that's just their own brand version of the swarfega product... it has other things beside muriatic acid and also a "corrosion inhibitor" which might well be the sort of thing you don't want when you're actually intending to use the corrosion properties of the acid. I'd be inclined to say avoid using that because you don't know what the results of sticking copper into that stuff are.

I also had a quick google search about it and there was a suggestion you might be able to find it in "paint supply" stockists. A search on Jewson's site showed nothing for either "muriatic" or "brick cleaner" as a search criteria

Ronsonic

Here in the States we get it at large hardware stores that supply to the swimming pool trades and concrete and masonry workers. The only hard part is buying in quantities under two gallons. Not too bad because it's extremely inexpensive.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

ralley

Also look for it under the name "Spirits of salts", thats what it tends to be called when used as a brick/concrete cleaner.

Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon