Finished the new BYOC analog delay (demo included)

Started by Nitefly182, December 11, 2008, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Got a couple of these in the mail the other day and I finally finished the trim pot adjustment (needed to build an audio probe) this afternoon. Got it all set up and it sounds pretty cool. Its a little dirty and decayed but it sounds wonderfully analog. Here is a youtube demo link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeWlJNUlTQ

jacobyjd

That sounds lovely...if I ever come up with the cash, I might finally have to check out a BYOC project :)

That looks like the only thing I've built so far that I couldn't otherwise do on perf...maybe  :icon_biggrin:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

WLTerry

That sounds wonderfull Nitefly! and the schematic is in the PDF instructons. That gives me lots of ideas to improve my failed analog delay project.

Thanks for posting your report.
Will

dano12

Nice job dave-o

My board is still only half done (cursed Holidays!)

BDuguay

dano12

Quote from: BDuguay on December 12, 2008, 09:30:02 AM
Is it wrong to admire others soldering?
B.

You'll notice, of course, that I didn't show the solder side. :)

petemoore

Sweet !
  Gotta love YouTube Clips like this, thanks Nitefly !
  Really nice 'echo-play' playing !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SonicVI

Quote from: dano12 on December 12, 2008, 09:10:42 AM
Nice job dave-o

Why didn't you put the resistors in first? Just curious.

Nitefly182

Quote from: SonicVI on December 12, 2008, 10:38:30 AM
Quote from: dano12 on December 12, 2008, 09:10:42 AM
Nice job dave-o

The resistors stand on end so it doesn't really matter when you put them in. As long as they go in before the electros youll be fine.

jimbob

I really like the playing. Pedal sounds fantastic.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

SonicVI

Is the enclosure a 1590BB or a 1790?  Looks like a 1590 but I can't tell for sure.

Nitefly182

Quote from: SonicVI on December 12, 2008, 04:00:25 PM
Is the enclosure a 1590BB or a 1790?  Looks like a 1590 but I can't tell for sure.

The enclosure is a 1590BB. Its jam packed though. I admire the work it took to get it into that box but it was a little tricky to actually cram everything in there.

kurtlives

Though I really dislike BYOC that is pretty cool.

Nice work
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Nitefly182

Quote from: kurtlives on December 12, 2008, 05:24:22 PM
Though I really dislike BYOC that is pretty cool.

Nice work

Why do you dislike BYOC. They make some of the best kits for beginners and everything they use is pretty high quality. I think the paint by numbers approach may stunt some growth because the kits are a little too easy but I dont really see that as a reason to dislike them at all.

dano12

+1 on BYOC. Keith puts a substantial amount of work into creating great kits. Lots of mod options (many times included with the kit) and great documentation. The latest 1 second analog delay represented a lot of R&D and the fact that it could be put into kit form takes a bit of commitment. I would imagine the number or people that started in DIY through BYOC to be in the many of thousands. Just my 2 cents.

kurtlives

QuoteWhy do you dislike BYOC. They make some of the best kits for beginners and everything they use is pretty high quality. I think the paint by numbers approach may stunt some growth because the kits are a little too easy but I dont really see that as a reason to dislike them at all.

Actually its more the forum I dislike, should have been more specific.

I think the idea of kits is great, especially for the beginner. It seems though you don't learn anything but how to read instructions though. Check out their forums its a laugh, so much wrong info is given (mods and all). It's terrible to see a new builder post and have wrong info given by some longtime respected member. Its more that I see all these members who have built tons of stompboxes and have no idea what happening inside them. Then when someone needs help and no one can answer they sneak over here for a quick minute. I guess if you just want to build a pedal an don't give a fack how it works then BYOC is the place to go.

That's what I like about DIYstomp, one can learn how to build a box but they can actually learn some theory behind it.

I do think the ideas and designs are neat!

Anyways just my opinion...
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

blanik

dano12

Quote from: SonicVI on December 12, 2008, 10:38:30 AM

Not enough board space for laying them flat:

Tight squeeze on some parts for sure.

drewl

Sounds very good, I gotta get around to doing a delay.
Was that on long or short setting (the L/S switch on your box?) and what's the max delay?

Nitefly182

Quote from: drewl on December 12, 2008, 08:59:44 PM
Sounds very good, I gotta get around to doing a delay.
Was that on long or short setting (the L/S switch on your box?) and what's the max delay?

The video was all on the long setting. The short is cleaner but it only gets up to about 200ms. The max delay time on mine is about 850ms or so.