Finished the new BYOC analog delay (demo included)

Started by Nitefly182, December 11, 2008, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnfr

so the resistors are supposed to stand up?  it seems that the holes are rather far apart.  but they don't fit horizontal huh? that's kinda weird. 
don't get me wrong beavis, i'm not saying you are wrong here, i'm just saying that if they were meant to stand up they could've put the holes a lot closer together and probably could've saved a bunch of space that way.  just my 2 cents.

Nitefly182

Quote from: rnfr on December 12, 2008, 09:27:47 PM
so the resistors are supposed to stand up?  it seems that the holes are rather far apart.  but they don't fit horizontal huh? that's kinda weird. 
don't get me wrong beavis, i'm not saying you are wrong here, i'm just saying that if they were meant to stand up they could've put the holes a lot closer together and probably could've saved a bunch of space that way.  just my 2 cents.

According to the directions on the byoc website the resistors are meant to stand up.

drewl

Usually they mount them at a 45 degree angle so you don't have all that exposed surface acting like an antenna.
Or you could bend the leads under the resistor and lay it flat.

Nitefly182

Quote from: drewl on December 12, 2008, 10:39:22 PM
Usually they mount them at a 45 degree angle so you don't have all that exposed surface acting like an antenna.
Or you could bend the leads under the resistor and lay it flat.

I just bent mine and stuck em in:

chi_boy

Quote from: dano12 on December 12, 2008, 05:49:21 PM
I would imagine the number or people that started in DIY through BYOC to be in the many of thousands. Just my 2 cents.

A+ for BYOC.  I think they make a nice kit.  A little pricey, but nice.  They were my first.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

beatnik

very nice analog delay!

any source for MN3205s?

smallbear has them at 15$, a cheaper one???

BDuguay

Quote from: kurtlives on December 12, 2008, 05:52:24 PM
QuoteWhy do you dislike BYOC. They make some of the best kits for beginners and everything they use is pretty high quality. I think the paint by numbers approach may stunt some growth because the kits are a little too easy but I dont really see that as a reason to dislike them at all.

Actually its more the forum I dislike, should have been more specific.

I think the idea of kits is great, especially for the beginner. It seems though you don't learn anything but how to read instructions though. Check out their forums its a laugh, so much wrong info is given (mods and all). It's terrible to see a new builder post and have wrong info given by some longtime respected member. Its more that I see all these members who have built tons of stompboxes and have no idea what happening inside them. Then when someone needs help and no one can answer they sneak over here for a quick minute. I guess if you just want to build a pedal an don't give a fack how it works then BYOC is the place to go.

That's what I like about DIYstomp, one can learn how to build a box but they can actually learn some theory behind it.

I do think the ideas and designs are neat!

Anyways just my opinion...

Yeah, there was a danger of that happening and it looks like it did. I'll be the first to admit, and I've done it many times, I know next to squat about how a lot of guitar effects work electronically but, I'm learning.
As a result, I only post suggestions when I'm 100% confident I understand what I'm talking about. And you can see I haven't many posts there.
B.

snap

Quote from: beatnik on December 13, 2008, 04:06:24 AM
very nice analog delay!

any source for MN3205s?

smallbear has them at 15$, a cheaper one???

it`s not MN, it`s V like in "Vehringer" or "Vool Audio"! http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=53215.0

ForcedFire

You can get some 1/8 Watt resistors if you want them to sit flat on the board.

mth5044

Quote from: Nitefly182 on December 12, 2008, 11:09:48 PM

I just bent mine and stuck em in:

Woah. That is a really tight fit. Just enough room for the little IC next to the power jack  :)

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

R.G.

NINE trimpots?  :icon_lol:

Resistors do not cleanly lie down or stand up?  :icon_lol:

Open spaces on the PCB but still an extension bustle?  :icon_lol:

And minimal or no customer support?  :icon_lol:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Nitefly182

Quote from: R.G. on December 13, 2008, 07:53:47 PM

Resistors do not cleanly lie down or stand up?  :icon_lol:

Open spaces on the PCB but still an extension bustle?  :icon_lol:

And minimal or no customer support?  :icon_lol:

Tell us how you really feel.

The resistors standing on end aren't a huge issue. The customer support for this pedal has been fine. Several people have reported little issues with their builds on the BYOC forum and Keith is helping them sort the issues out.

Im not sure how you would go about eliminating the trim pots as they all control important parts of the circuit such as the clock, BBD bias, clock cancel, and regen.

snap

looking at the blurry schematic on the last of 32pages: http://buildyourownclone.com/analogdelayinstructions.pdf it shows a serious design flaw! (compare with H. Davis circuits).  :icon_rolleyes:

Nitefly182

Quote from: snap on December 14, 2008, 03:04:09 AM
looking at the blurry schematic on the last of 32pages: http://buildyourownclone.com/analogdelayinstructions.pdf it shows a serious design flaw! (compare with H. Davis circuits).  :icon_rolleyes:

Care to clarify? Maybe explain this design flaw?

ForcedFire

Hey Nitefly, I responded to your post on the other site. Can you measure the voltage at the base of Q2, Q3, and Q4. I think the headroom problem might be at Q3 and Q4. Not sure where they are on the board though (and I don't have one... :icon_smile:).

Nitefly182

Quote from: ForcedFire on December 14, 2008, 11:05:24 AM
Hey Nitefly, I responded to your post on the other site. Can you measure the voltage at the base of Q2, Q3, and Q4. I think the headroom problem might be at Q3 and Q4. Not sure where they are on the board though (and I don't have one... :icon_smile:).

They are the topmost three transistors according to the schem and comparing it to the board but the schem is blurry as crap so Im not positive. This is the thing I hate about board mount pots. In order to take those three readings Im going to have to COMPLETELY disassemble the pedal. @#$%.

ForcedFire

I think you can just touch your DMM to the base of the transistor in the socket (or soldered to the board if it isn't totally jammed down there). All you have to do it pull off the back cover. Might as well check the base pin on every transistor, then we'll know what bias they all have.

ForcedFire

Actually I think there's a Vb and Vref, didn't see that at first. So Vb should be pretty high ~4.5 V meaning Q3 and Q4 should be biased properly.