mosfet mu-amp

Started by ~arph, December 17, 2008, 05:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Just a little question to see if I interpret this right.

Last night I built a mu-amp and subbed the JFet's with Mosfets (bs170's). To see what this will do to the sound. This works fine, but you get a crackling sound whenever notes or chords go through it. Not just on the attack or on a certain volume level.

Am I correct to assume this is because of the constantly changing bias voltage on the bottom mosfet?

earthtonesaudio

The bottom transistor of the "stock" mu-amp circuit has its drain fixed at 1/2 supply by the voltage follower action of the top transistor.  The gate of the bottom transistor is "self-biased" if it's a JFET by that single resistor to ground.  MOSFETs don't self-bias, so you'd need a separate bias voltage for the gate of the bottom transistor.  Or, just tap off the existing voltage divider and bias the bottom gate that way.

~arph

Yes, that makes sense, but does that explain the crackling I get?  I will give your suggestion a try and see what happens.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: ~arph on December 17, 2008, 07:17:36 AM
Yes, that makes sense, but does that explain the crackling I get?  I will give your suggestion a try and see what happens.

I have no clue about the crackling.  Post your results, maybe we all can learn something from it.

slacker

This sort of arrangement might work better for mosfets than the minibooster style http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=52011.0

brett

Hi
what's probably happening with the crackling is that on larger voltage excursions on the gate the MOSFET is turning on (about +2.5V wrt the source).  With the JFET it is on all of the time due to the self-biasing.  For a less crackly sound, I'd replace the pull-down resistor on the gate with a red LED (or two), forward biased (negative towards ground, positive towards the gate), in series with a large value resistor (e.g. 100k to 470k).  Or check out the gate biasing on any mosfet booster.  That way, the MOSFET will be "on".

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)