Silicon vs Germanium transistor comparison

Started by Branimir, December 17, 2008, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Quotewish I could find 2N2369A's that have gains around 120...

I wish I could find BC107's that have gains around 120 :D :D

If you have Ge NPN you could use one at Q2 and the 2369 (103) @ Q1. Since Q1 is Si it will be immune to temperature.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Branimir

Yeah I read somewhere on the forums, I think it was your post too hehe....

I found some old BC107 from some apparatus on my dad's basement, only one was 120hfe, rest of them were around 200...

Besides AC127, what other Ge transistors you recommend for Q2?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Branimir

Anyways, I've tried the before mentioned combo (Q1: 2N2369A hfe=70, Q2: BC107A hfe=122) on my hiwatt clone into 4x12", and was pleasantly suprised! The fuzz lost those "icepick" highs and the vol knob cleanup is almost as good as with a full ge FF. I'll try some npn germaniums in the Q2 position in the future, and we're recording some promo stuff (pre album) during the last week of the February so I'll post some clips of the guitar tracks after we record some...
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

mac

QuoteYeah I read somewhere on the forums, I think it was your post too hehe....
I found some old BC107 from some apparatus on my dad's basement, only one was 120hfe, rest of them were around 200...
Besides AC127, what other Ge transistors you recommend for Q2?

Besides AC187/176 you could try Sanyo 2SD72K or very dark Matsushita 2SD352. Both leak a lot but at Q2 there is no problem. But I doubt you can get some.
I have some Texas 2N388 and 2N1114 that sound very bright, close to a Si, some high roll off needed.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/biascalc
Play with Q2 by changing the gain, base emiter voltage drop and leakage and watch Q2 collector. It is the same as finger heating Q2 only, voltage drops just a little.

mac

Branimir

Here's some short audio clip, we are in the studio recording tracks, so I had time for this short hitoid riffage ;)

http://sonicdoomrecords.com/upload/gitara%20preview%20pizdarija.mp3

4 mikes:
421 and beyerdynamic m201 close to the grill (5 to 10cm), two oktava mk012 for room ambience... dunno how it is mixed together, i just normalized the left and right channel and I think there's too much room mike so it's bit boomy...

edwards LP goldtop /w p90 (C tuning) + axis fuzz (transistors from the previous posts) + hiwatt custom 100 copy + 4x12" (celest v30 & emi v12)
Umor

slideman82

Quote from: brett on December 17, 2008, 07:18:00 PM
Hi
try some higher power devices.
Like TIPs or MJE3055s.  Lower hFE => lower the input impedance => lower the cutoff frequency of the filter formed by the pickups and the input impedance of the fuzzface.
The 2N/PN 2369A is very popular for its effect on tone (hFE about 70).
cheers
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

slideman82

Damn! I don't know what I clicked on!

I like the 128's better, they gave me the most open sound, and the best fuzz, but, I never tried my low gain BC108 (65 to 95). That was a great idea, also try some BD139, they have about 120.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

aron

What ever happened to all the piggybacking??? Did people just give up on this?

mac

QuoteWhat ever happened to all the piggybacking??? Did people just give up on this?

I never tried piggybacking because I have some good 2n2369, mpsa42, 2n3440, bd139/237, etc.
Piggybacking bc108s might sound good...

mac