Barber Electronics says happy holidays with a circuit!

Started by David Barber, December 18, 2008, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arma61

Hi m8s, I've searched but I've found no answer, what LTD stand for ?

Thx
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

mattpas

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Zen

arma61

ok I take there's no real meaning for LTD, I though it could be something like Low Tube Drive, as I think, it could "drive" a tube amp almost everywhere, isn't it?

Cheers and have a nice week.
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Mark Hammer

LTD has been used as an abbreviation and "brand" for things that were issued in a limited edition.  In cases like the Ford LTD, the idea was to create the impression that only select individuals would have one, although realistically they would have been happy to crank out as many as customers asked for.

captntasty

I just wanted to thank Mr. Barber for his design and bean for his layout - excellent...  I have finally found the overdrive I've been looking for.  I did try the gain mod posted by Ben N earlier in this thread - went with 4.7K in place of 13.3K and .1uf in place of .027uf - If I read the mod correctly these are the ones to change - I may even go with the 1K and .22uf for more gain, you can always dial it back with the external control.  I recommend this build to anyone searching for a versatile overdrive.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

flo

I simulated the RIAA like tone section of the second opamp and found its transfer interesting.
I'll try it in an overdrive for sure but then with a "Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control" lowpass tone control instead of a Big Muff Pi mid-scooped tone control.

Picts of the RIAA like tone section of the second opamp:

Bass [0,100], Mid 0

Bass 0, Mid [0,100]

Bass [0,100], Mid [0,100]

Bass [0,100], Mid [100, 0]

Schematic:

gutsofgold

slacker

Serge

Can someone explain me how the presence control functions?  I understand the very basics of high pass and low pass filters, but don't really get how it works in this setup.

I have a TS clone which has a 0,22n cap and 1K resistor to V.R and would like to add this feature, but with the possibility to keep the original sound (or to dial it in with the presence control).  With these starting values, can I simply add the 470 resistor, 10K pot and 0,01 cap or should I change these values (and if so, how?)?  How can I then dial in the "original" sound I have right now?  Just by turning the control fully up or down, or do I have to "find" it somewhere along the travel of the pot?

Serge

svstee

Wow, what a great circuit! Thanks for sharing this. After going through 20+ overdrive/light distortion units I think I have finally found my sound.
One question, I found the Bass and Mids controls very useful and want to replace the trimmers with full out pots. Is a linear taper ideal here? It seemed that the taper was not very smooth with the trimmers, but I could be wrong.

flo

Only if you feel that the useful settings are bunched up at the anti-clockwise beginning of the pot, a log taper can help.
If the useful settings are bunched up at the clockwise end of the pot, a reverse log taper can help.

svstee

Well I have already boxed this up with linear pots, and I can't stop playing it. Not only is it great as a stand alone on a clean channel, it does beautiful things pushing a high gain amp as well. Best metal tone I have.

ayayay!

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

svstee

Quote from: ayayay! on May 22, 2009, 08:57:34 AM
Que?
Not the pedal itself, the pedal in front of the Gain channel of my Randall Pro-Tube 2000. Beautiful harmonics, dynamic response, controllable feedback and the perfect amount of gain. A Bit like early Metallica, with a hair more gain.

snoof

Thanks for the schematic!  just built it, sounds fantastic I must say. ;D  I brought the bass control out to the front.