Understanding vero Layout for Bass Fuzz....

Started by bassplaya12, December 27, 2008, 08:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassplaya12

How do these pedals sound that are made with the vero board?  Any reason why i shouldnt eventually have a pedal board full of homemade pedals made with vero board?

oskar

Quote from: bassplaya12 on December 29, 2008, 02:08:19 PM
How do these pedals sound that are made with the vero board?
Like any other. No difference.

Any reason why i shouldnt eventually have a pedal board full of homemade pedals made with vero board?
Floorspace?

bassplaya12

Quote from: oskar on December 29, 2008, 02:22:34 PM
Quote from: bassplaya12 on December 29, 2008, 02:08:19 PM
How do these pedals sound that are made with the vero board?
Like any other. No difference.

Any reason why i shouldnt eventually have a pedal board full of homemade pedals made with vero board?
Floorspace?

Floorspace doesnt bother me  ;D

bassplaya12

Where can I find other pedal schematics laid out for use on a vero board?

bassplaya12

Anybody know where i can find additional schematics laid out on vero board?  Preferably bass friendly pedals but really just any pedals.  Also when looking at radioshack i couldnt find all the necessary values of resistors and such to build the Bass Fuzz.  Where should i order parts from?  Smallbear?

PerroGrande

Smallbear is always a good source for parts. 

You could also order up a resistor assortment pack from Futurlec.  While I've always had excellent luck with receiving items from Futurlec in a timely manner (knock on wood), others have experienced issues with orders arriving slowly.  Another source would be Mouser electronics.

Barcode80

click the layout gallery button at the top of the board, lots of people's galleries have vero layouts.

Dr.Pain

Quote from: bassplaya12 on December 29, 2008, 02:04:04 PM
Im a noob but i dont see a reason why active basses wouldnt work.  Something with the boosted signal?
That is what I would assume, but like yourself I have a very limited understanding of all of this stuff. So can anybody confirm this perhaps?

bassplaya12

Thanks guys.  I should be getting some parts very soon.  Im sure ill be back with more questions  ;D

Joe Viau

I recently purchased stuff from here and Small Bear as well.  All of the stuff is first rate, and the stripboard that I got from here is nicer than I expected.  I've never done stripboard before and I'm looking forward to doing some projects with it.

Also, take the time to match up the schematic to the stripboard layout.  It's worth it to verify the layout and, more importantly, you'll probably get some good ideas on how to layout pieces of the schematic on stripboard.

Did I mention that the stripboard from here is very nice?   :icon_mrgreen:

bassplaya12

Thats good to know! And also good advice.  I will double check some stuff.  Would you recommend getting the resistor kits with numerous values?  Same with caps?

bassplaya12

Does the wattage of the resistors really make much of a difference?

Barcode80

Quote from: bassplaya12 on January 02, 2009, 05:08:36 PM
????
generally, in a basic stompbox using a standard 9v supply, the answer would be no. however, in some cases (such s amps or particular pedals), you need a higher wattage rating due to higher wattage at certain points in the circuit. it works similarly to what you have probably seen about capacitors: as long as the rating is higher than what is needed, you are fine.

bassplaya12

So if the wattage is too high its not a concern?  But if its too low it will be?  So 1/4 watt should be good?

Barcode80

Quote from: bassplaya12 on January 03, 2009, 10:52:50 AM
So if the wattage is too high its not a concern?  But if its too low it will be?  So 1/4 watt should be good?
the wattage of the resistors being too high is not a problem, correct. 1/4 watt is fine for most stompbox applications. think of the resistor as a pipe carrying water. too much water (or wattage) through a pipe (resistor) that is too small (too low wattage rating) will cause it to burst (literally, i've seen some fried resistors). as long as the wattage rating is higher than the wattage going through it (do some research on wattage and voltage for more on this) you are fine.

bassplaya12

That makes sense to me. ;D  Thanks for the help