X Wing Stomp Switch For Output Level Boost In Fuzzface

Started by Easywider, December 20, 2008, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easywider

Was Building Another Fuzzface & Wanted To Be Able To Switch Between 470ohm To 1k Output Resistor By Using A X Wing Stompswitch . Is This Possible , & If So , Can Someone Tell Me How It Would Be Done !

Thanks ,

Chris

Ronsonic

I would leave the 1K in place and wire around it with another 1K in series with the switch. Step on the switch and both resistors will be in parallel for 500R which is entirely close enough and quieterer than other possible switching schemes.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

reverbie

I have done exactly what Ronsonic suggests with other pedals with much success.
My tender heart bleeds for you, idiot.

Easywider

Thanks For The Replys , But I'am Confused ? :icon_redface: Can Someone Explain How I Would Do This , Still Learning ! :icon_redface:

Thanks ,

Chris

petemoore

Start by understanding the switch.
  DMM and paper/pen...or lookup switching schemes and study that.
  DPDT is what 'X-Wing' depicts, I believe.
  All you need for the wiring suggested is SPST.
  Say you have the 1k in there, now add a wire to one side...it'll go...
  Wire>Switch>1k>back to other side of resistor that's in there.
  When switch is in position B, a 1k reisistor is connected in parallel with the 1k resistor on the board [=500ohms]. In position A, the switch lifts one end of the 1k resistor so the resistor on the board is 'default' ... [1k].
  meaning either one, or two 1k resistors are in parallel between the relevant nodes of the circuit.
  ,,,side note, you can mess around with the values also.
the switch simply adds a parallel path.
  Based on the idea that two = value resistors in parallel divide in 1/2 the value compared to 1 resistor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smallbearelec

You will only be using two contacts out of the six on that switch. Hold it so that the contacts look like this:

\    /
-   -
/   \

One wire goes to one of the - (Hyphen) contacts, and the other wire goes to the contact either above or below it; it doesn't matter which. If you have a meter, set it to test continuity, and connect it to the wires. Click the switch, and you will see that the contacts go from open to closed and latch in that state until you click the switch again.  This is what you want--like a vacuum cleaner switch.

Now connect one of the wires to a 1 K resistor. The other side of the resistor goes to either side of the 1K resistor on the board, and the free wire from the switch goes to the other side of the resistor on the board.

Easywider

Thanks To All That Replied . Think I Know How To Do This . Had Another Question , Is There A Front Or Back To The Switch , Don't Want To Put It In Backwards !

Thanks ,

Chris

Easywider

Bumping This Up , Need Help Badly...LoL !

Thanks ,

Chris

Nitefly182

In Steve (smallbearelec's) diagram, just use the top left contact and the middle left contact. As long as the switch is oriented like that diagram it will work.

chi_boy

Quote from: Easywider on December 20, 2008, 09:42:13 AM
Was Building Another Fuzzface & Wanted To Be Able To Switch Between 470ohm To 1k Output Resistor By Using A X Wing Stompswitch . Is This Possible , & If So , Can Someone Tell Me How It Would Be Done !

Thanks ,

Chris

Just out of curiosity, what does this do?  (Still learning too.)
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Nitefly182

Quote from: chi_boy on January 03, 2009, 06:27:05 PM
Quote from: Easywider on December 20, 2008, 09:42:13 AM

Thanks ,

Chris

Just out of curiosity, what does this do?  (Still learning too.)

The 470ohm resistor sets the max output volume for the circuit. changing that value alters the max volume.