One thing that bugged me about 1590a builds...

Started by elshiftos, December 26, 2008, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elshiftos

Was the need for external power - so I came up with this!
A Gus fuzz running off of a mini 12v battery. I couldn't come up with a battery holder so it's wrapped in tape for now, with the leads soldered in place!
Could this be the start of a new series? ;)

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Nitefly182

Impressive for the sake of impressive. Thats an awesome feat to have it totally self-contained but the battery issue in tiny pedals never bugged me. I always hate seeing those DC jacks with the nut on the outside in those builds.

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

PerroGrande

Very good thinking!  A few volts of extra headroom is always a good thing, too!

drewl

Hey, that's what I use!
I used to work on mini remote controls at one job, so aside from getting dozens of 9v batteries, I used to get a bunch of those mini 12v and have used them in some builds where a 9v won't fit!
Since I have a 4yr old, alot of his toys come with these little disposable battery pack things so the toys can be demo'd while still in the package at the store, you know they say "Try ME!" on the package.
Well I've got a bunch of those i've been using for experimenting, try it, you'll like it!

elshiftos

Quote from: Nitefly182 on December 26, 2008, 04:34:41 PM
Impressive for the sake of impressive. Thats an awesome feat to have it totally self-contained but the battery issue in tiny pedals never bugged me. I always hate seeing those DC jacks with the nut on the outside in those builds.

Yeah, after buying a few of those power jacks and designing cases around them, I can say I am no longer a fan!
A couple have had the break contact fail, and they also connect the outer to the case, which means non-standard center pin positive wiring  >:(

Ronsonic

The part I resent in small builds are the jacks. Flying leads would more than double the effective space inside these things.
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

Nitefly182

Quote from: Ronsonic on December 28, 2008, 02:20:53 AM

The part I resent in small builds are the jacks. Flying leads would more than double the effective space inside these things.

You can always go with 1/8" jacks but then you need special adapter cables.

earthtonesaudio

A pedalboard full of tiny pedals with 1/8" jacks would be stupid... but so awesome.

Ronsonic

It would be, wouldn't it. It's such a fine line between stupid and awesome.

Seriously you could stuff some parts in one of those puppies or one of the little square 2" x 2.5" boxes if you didn't need big jacks.

http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

drewl

"It's a fine line between clever and stupid" - Nigel Tufnel ;)