FET-2B Bass Preamp, my first "design"

Started by Ripthorn, January 03, 2009, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcelomd

Quote from: POTL on May 27, 2022, 03:05:12 PM
Try replacing the j201 with a 2n7000, I tried it a couple of years ago and I liked the sound, it was much better than the j201. but you need to properly bias the transistors and decouple the tone stack, volume, and gain from ground, using a virtual ground instead.

How about the noise?

BubbaFet

Quote from: Fancy Lime on May 24, 2022, 02:23:04 PM
Funny that this thread pops up again just now. I've been tinkering with a bass preamp design recently and decided to go with the tone stack from my trusty old Trace Elliott Commando combo, which, unbeknownst to me until stumbling across this here thread, is also just the same old Blackface three band stack plus a mid shift and a deep (=mid cut) switch. Sounds fantastic and is also a pure FET preamp. The same thing in tube, or shall I say valve, was used in the V-Type series. Among the best sounding all-tube bass amps I ever heard. Schematics to both preamps can be found here:
https://www.schematicsunlimited.com/t/trace-elliot

Cheers,
Andy

Hmmm.... Trace Elliott .... J112s.....preamp.... I wonder if member @jonny.reckless might have designed this?

POTL

Quote from: marcelomd on May 27, 2022, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: POTL on May 27, 2022, 03:05:12 PM
Try replacing the j201 with a 2n7000, I tried it a couple of years ago and I liked the sound, it was much better than the j201. but you need to properly bias the transistors and decouple the tone stack, volume, and gain from ground, using a virtual ground instead.

How about the noise?

To be honest I don't remember since it's been a few years. It shouldn't be higher than jfet as 2 stages won't give too much gain.

marcelomd

Quote from: POTL on June 08, 2022, 12:45:01 PM
To be honest I don't remember since it's been a few years. It shouldn't be higher than jfet as 2 stages won't give too much gain.

Hmmm I'd like to set it slightly dirty. Thanks!