New Amplifier Design - "Murder One" - Submini Pentode, Low Voltage

Started by frequencycentral, January 05, 2009, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigyas

Well, whine is just a faster hum, its mostly kind of the same.  I got the number off my o'scope.  So, its good to know that I can still hear up that high, but it gets pretty aggravating.  Maybe I just need to listen to my music really loud for the next couple of weeks, haha.  I am actually using the TC1044, and I do have the boost implemented, verified with the 'scope.  So, I probably need to just sit down with the 'scope and check EVERYTHING, but it was easier to ask you guys first.  I'll let you all know what I find.
Thanks for the welcome.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

therecordingart

Awesome! I appreciate  the work you've put into this, and making it available. Thank you!

frequencycentral

Quote from: therecordingart on February 19, 2010, 01:31:10 PM
Awesome! I appreciate  the work you've put into this, and making it available. Thank you!

Nice that people are enjoying them! stereovoid, who I built the first silver one for, has just commissioned me to make an uber Murder One which will include a switchable SHO boost, Vibracaster style tremolo, BM tonestack, pre out, and a dummy load on the speaker socket.

Here's my last couple:

therecordingart

Awesome! I need to find a source for those "U" shaped bars in the United States. Any ideas?

fancydirt

They're available relatively cheap through Home Depot.  Ships FREE with $249.00 Order! 

therecordingart

gigyas

Hi again. I said I would follow up when I figured out where the whine was coming from.
Turns out it comes from biasing the grid of the 5672 using pin 5 of the MAX1044 (although I am using the Microchip TC1044).
So, switching the biasing over to the 1M resistor to ground gets rid of the whine (I initially built mine without the biasing switching option).
Anyway, here are a couple pictures of my unfinished build, still need to decide on how to finish the box.

And the gut shot:

Thanks for the great design Rick, I really like it.

therecordingart

I'm looking at the newest schematic revision and the PCB layout that was for a prior revision, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the big differences. What is different in the newest schem (other than selectable bias)?

PedroTejada

I'm definitely in love with this project!  :icon_eek:

Is the latest Schem 100% trustable?

I have a 1x12 cab around my basement, it should be perfect. I have to build something to leave in my office for the next month, and this project seems to be perfect. Also a warm up for my SLO project (I have all parts except the transformers for about 3 years, but didn't started it yet  :o)

I'm going to try to route something this afternoon on Eagle!

Thanks for all the info posted here :D
Brazilian Weekend Builder :D

frequencycentral

Quote from: PedroTejada on March 06, 2010, 12:40:45 PM
Is the latest Schem 100% trustable?

Yep, I've built many. I just spent the afternoon drilling and sanding enclosures and applying decals for the next half dozen.  ;D

PedroTejada

Cool! And thanks for the fast reply!

I couldn't find those tubes on Eagle lbrs around the net, so I'm going to solder the sockets off board... To be honest I don't really like on board tubes...

I hope to post something tonight!!!
Brazilian Weekend Builder :D

max30

tube sockets for subminis are hard to find and not needed in practice, use IC sockets instead you have this in eagle, mirror them to soldering side and you have a nice layout.

I did something simmilar with other great Rick's submini desing "superfly", didnt finish the board yet, since I need to add SMPS on the same board and get them made. There is a really good already available SMPS with eagle files available here: http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/NixiePSU.html

I hope that I will be able to finish it soon.

criszou

Hi, I go to my local store looking for sub tube 6111, but the store only have JAN-6111W. Is this tube 6111W is same as 6111? I ask to store's owner, but he doesn't know.

frequencycentral

Quote from: criszou on March 27, 2010, 11:36:49 AM
Hi, I go to my local store looking for sub tube 6111, but the store only have JAN-6111W. Is this tube 6111W is same as 6111? I ask to store's owner, but he doesn't know.

Wow, you can get 6111 at your local store - lucky you! I have to get my 6111 shipped across the Atlantic!

JAN-6111W is just fine. In fact better. JAN = Joint Army Navy, higher quality.

Plan B

Hey Rick, thanks for making this available to us!

I'm still very new to all this, but I am going to give your amp a shot--love the tone, love the look, love it.  Parts are starting to arrive.

I was hoping you could point me to a diagram or site that would show how to do the offboard wiring for this.  Google turned up nothing, and didn't see anything on wiring the jacks and such within the thread.

Also, how hard would it be to implement a headphone out?  And, although this might sound dumb, would that negate the need to hook the amp up to a cab?  I've always just used combos.

Thanks!

phector2004

that would indeed let you use it without a cab. In terms of implementing it, i'm guessing you'd need to have a different transformer and a separate output or a switch to change between speaker out and headphone out modes... but don't listen to me i'm still pretty clueless when it comes to amps!!

What I do know is it won't sound remotely as good through headphones as it would a small cab. you could also salvage some old computer speakers and use those in place of an ordinary guitar speaker, but don't expect them to spew out any magic and unicorns.  ;)

frequencycentral

There isn't a wiring diagram anywhere, I kinda assumed that pedal builders would know where everything goes. I'll see what I can do though.

I have run switchable mono/stereo headphones (in mono mode) direct from the Murder One's speaker out socket with no modifications, sure I mentioned it before, it does clean up considerably driving headphones. And no need to hook up a cab.

Plan B

Quote from: frequencycentral on April 02, 2010, 06:09:46 AM
There isn't a wiring diagram anywhere, I kinda assumed that pedal builders would know where everything goes. I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks!  If it is the same method of wiring as wiring a box as true-bypass, I got that....wired....so to speak.  But the lack of footswitch, addition of a transformer and it's different taps, uncertainty of whether the jacks are mono or stereo (or one of each), etc has me scratching my head a bit.  Again, still very new to pedal building, let alone building an amp as well.

Quote from: frequencycentral on April 02, 2010, 06:09:46 AM
I have run switchable mono/stereo headphones (in mono mode) direct from the Murder One's speaker out socket with no modifications, sure I mentioned it before, it does clean up considerably driving headphones. And no need to hook up a cab.

I thought you said something about it, but I've read each page on this thread a couple times and couldn't find it again, so thought it might just be my imagination.  Thanks for clarifying!  Did you get any results while they were in stereo-mode, or is that just a no-go?