News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Midi presets

Started by Dimitree, January 13, 2009, 10:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

Hi guys,
I got a Boss DD20 delay pedal, this unit has 4 presets + manual preset, you can change them with a press-button on the unit the scroll the presets.. I'm wondering..it is possible to add a Midi control over these presets? just like the one on the Whammy.. Once I read that someone did that to the Line6 DM4, so I think it should be possible to do..

iaresee

You can add an external footswitch to the DD-20 that you can assign to switch presets. This could be used to MIDI-ify the pedal: you'd use a MIDI -> non-latching relay and plug the relay output in the f/s input on the back of the DD-20. You could do the MIDI controller on something like an Arduino -- there's an Arduino MIDI -> CV project here.

Dimitree

thanks,
but sorry, I didn't understand everythingh (my english is poor  :icon_frown: ).. So what it would do? switch the preset, or could I assign a preset to a channel for the use with a midi pedalboard?

iaresee

Quote from: Dimitree on January 13, 2009, 02:47:58 PM
but sorry, I didn't understand everythingh (my english is poor  :icon_frown: ).. So what it would do? switch the preset, or could I assign a preset to a channel for the use with a midi pedalboard?

You can use this approach to control any function on the DD-20 that can be assigned to that expression pedal. If you look in the DD-20 manual (p. 20) it says:

CTL PEDAL Jack
Connect an external control pedal (the optional Boss FS-5L/FS-5U) to this jack.
You can use the external control pedal to turn the effect on and off, to input the delay time with Tap Input, and to switch memories.
See "Setting the External Pedal Function" (p. 31)

So instead of an FS-5U footswitch you'll use a MIDI-controlled relay and you'll plug the relay into the CTL PEDAL jack on the back on the DD-20. Does that make sense?

Dimitree

ok..now I understand..thanks, and sorry  :)
in this way can I assign presets just like on the whammy? for example, when I change song preset on my midi pedalboard, the DD20 goes to preset 2, then for the next song it goes to preset 4..etc..

iaresee

Quote from: Dimitree on January 13, 2009, 04:48:11 PM
ok..now I understand..thanks, and sorry  :)
in this way can I assign presets just like on the whammy? for example, when I change song preset on my midi pedalboard, the DD20 goes to preset 2, then for the next song it goes to preset 4..etc..
Yes, it would be possible to do this. You'd need your MIDI->relay box to know what patch you're currently on when you start up, but once it knows that you can send CC or SysEx messages to your box that indicate a patch to change to and the box can figure out how many times to latch the relay to move you to that preset # on the DD-20.

For example, if you start out on preset 1 and the MIDI message comes through to change to preset 4 the box logic has to know to latch the relay 3 times (1->2, 2->3, 2->4) to get to preset 4. If the next change is to preset 2 it needs to latch the relay 2 times (4->1, 1->2) and so on.

Dimitree

wow..that's awesome! really thanks Jarese!!
now I'll investigate how to do that.. :D the idea is perfect..thanks again!
Dimitri

Processaurus

I've had half a mind lately to try and build midi control into unlikely lo-fi suspects like fuzz pedals, I just found this place (first thing that pops up when you google "midi kits")

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/decoder.html

Processaurus

Quote from: Dimitree on January 13, 2009, 10:04:48 AM
Once I read that someone did that to the Line6 DM4,

Do you remember where, by any chance?

Dimitree

yes, once I've read (huge racks inc) that this guy on this site did that: http://clark2000.free.fr/
but strange, it doesn't list this mod, maybe you can try contact him..

iaresee

Quote from: Processaurus on January 15, 2009, 06:18:17 AM
I've had half a mind lately to try and build midi control into unlikely lo-fi suspects like fuzz pedals, I just found this place (first thing that pops up when you google "midi kits")

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/decoder.html

Cool site. And very cool kits. For ~$100 you're 90% of the way to making your own GigRig or Musicom or Voodoo Labs switching system with these:

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/msa-r/

All you need is some logic that changes momentary taps -> MIDI messages. My mind is spinning now at the possibilities...