Author Topic: Building my first Pedal  (Read 11525 times)

CrankitUP

Building my first Pedal
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
Hi,

I'm going to build my first pedal and wanted it to be an overdrive pedal. (if I can find some easy ones but what I've found out up to now, they seem to be good for a start)
Now, what I still need, is some schematics and some help on how to build it once i got all parts.

I can solder, but I haven't done it too much up to now, just a little, for repairing some lamp-contacts and so on, would i have to extend my soldering skills, too?

cheers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:04:49 AM by CrankitUP »

aron

Re: Building my first Pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »

CrankitUP

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
well, you know, I already found this page, but which one of the topics shall I choose?
I think theres 10,000 or more in there...

If id look them all up, id be dead before beginning my pedal^^

GREEN FUZ

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
I believe you were being pointed in the direction of the IC based overdrive. Here`s a more direct link.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=57827.0

Like most things, it`s best to start at the beginning  ;).

This should be a good step by step guide but if you get lost you can always ask questions. Good luck.

aron

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »
hehehe yeah, the IC based overdrive project. Not the entire forum! :-)

aron

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »
The beginner project will overdrive if you crank it up too.

suprleed

• Great Contributor!
  • Adam P. from Cygnus X-1
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:18:48 PM »
The IC overdrive and the beginner boost recommended above are good places to start.  I may be a little biased here, but I would recommend the Tweak-O from Small Bear Electronics.  You can order it as a kit so there's no headaches in ordering parts and Steve has a complete build tutorial on his site.  This was my first project and I learned a ton going thru the tutorial and building the Tweak-O.  It's a single transistor overdrive/distortion.  Socket the transistor, diodes and input/output caps and you can mod to your hearts content.

Click here http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/TweakO/TweakO.htm

Good luck!
"That's the way I play" ~EC

CrankitUP

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »
thanks for all answers...
ill try my best with the two links youve given, if i have questions, ill come back

@suprleed:
does the website you offered also ship to germanyx, and how much would it cost then???

suprleed

• Great Contributor!
  • Adam P. from Cygnus X-1
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
thanks for all answers...
ill try my best with the two links youve given, if i have questions, ill come back

@suprleed:
does the website you offered also ship to germanyx, and how much would it cost then???

I believe Small Bear ships international but I'm not 100% sure on that.  You could probably email them to get more info.
"That's the way I play" ~EC

CrankitUP

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:17:58 AM »
now I'm about to get all parts from my local electronics dealer and I see, that they offer several resistor wattages.
Which ones shall I take, so they wont get too hot, nor too expensive???

by the way: I'm going to build the booster first, to get into the stuff

GREEN FUZ

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 05:35:52 AM »
It`s not too critical with effects pedals. I`d just go with 1/4 watt.

As you live in Germany you should check out these sites for pedal related components.

http://www.banzaieffects.com/home.php
http://www.musikding.de/index.php/language/en

Captainobvious99

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
Once you tackle a beginner project like the one on the site here, I would highly recommend doing a Shaka Braddah 5. It gives an excellent overdrive/distortion sound, responds very well to volume/tone controls on the guitar and has a good range of adjustability. We seem to be using it more than the Ibanez TS9 now.  ;)
While I agree that the Beginner clean boost sounds great, it doesnt give much overdrive. I've tried with several different transistors and have gotten just a smidge with the volume maxed. Its excellent at what it does, but if you want a real overdrive, I suggest a different design.

I started off a month or two by doing the beginner clean boost and then working from there. If I can do it, you surely can. Also, there is info on the forum about etching your own boards when you decide to move up from perf board. You can also have boards PCB boards made for you if you provide a layout, by several members here. I'd recommend PM'ing JohnLyons if you plan to do that as I've gotten a few from him and they always arrive quickly and are excellent quality. Dont get me wrong, doing a perf board is ok too, its just alot messier and much easier to make mistakes with...not to mention they take up more space.

CrankitUP

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:24:09 AM »
okay, thaanks to you captain, ive tried doing the beginner project and i got lost at the point where i should solder the transistor...
maybe someone could post a picture of how the leads are placed on a 2n2222a transistor and where the base is at

cheers

aron

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »
type in "2n2222 datasheet" into google and you get this:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/PN/PN2222A.pdf

Then simply insert the transistor onto the socket oriented like this:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/beginner/schem.gif

Captainobvious99

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
Sorry for the late response. I've been a bit busy lately.  :P

If your holding the 2N2222A with the flat side facing you, from left to right the leads are E-B-C Emitter-Base-Collector.
In the NPN Boost beginner project, with the board face up, the flat side is positioned facing to the left. Below is a pic of the board I did for reference.
Did you install a socket for the transistor or are you soldering it directly to the board? I would definitely recommend using a socket as you'll be less likely to damage the transistor from overexposure to heat from the soldering gun, and you also will have the ability to quickly and easily swap transistors to find the one that sounds best to you.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:08:37 AM by Captainobvious99 »

CrankitUP

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
thanks very much, as i have a round one, your picture didnt help me too much, but i found some data sheets on google, so i know how to do it now i guess...

if it doesnt work ill come back ;)

CrankitUP

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »
so here i am again, but with a different question, where do i put the ground wire, i mean, where to connect it to?
just anything metallic???

and another question is, would i also be able to use a DPDT switch instead of a 3PDT one because i kind of cant get it anywhere around...

jefe

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
so here i am again, but with a different question, where do i put the ground wire, i mean, where to connect it to?
just anything metallic???

The ground wire from the board is usually connected to the ground of the input jack... er, that's where I usually connect it.

edit: are you using a metal enclosure, or plastic?

and another question is, would i also be able to use a DPDT switch instead of a 3PDT one because i kind of cant get it anywhere around...
Yes, you can use a DPDT as your bypass switch. The 3PDT is only needed if you want true bypass AND an led on/off indicator light.

Here is one way to wire up the box (there are others out there as well, but this diagram is nice and easy to understand):
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

CrankitUP

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
ok, i tried it the first time today, and i think i burned up the transistor...

ill go, get all parts one more time and try it once more

i think i made some experience now so it'll work this time