Silly question... pots and knobs?

Started by PoopLoops, January 25, 2009, 03:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopLoops

Trying to find some pots for my EQ pedal and knobs to go along with it.  Didn't think it would be this hard.  I'm browsing through Digi-Key and trying to find a combination of shafts and knobs that will actually fit is almost impossible.  Shaft diameter I know is important, as is whether or not it is smooth or has those gear-type things, but is length that important?  For example, the pots I'm looking at have a .53" long shaft.  The knobs I would like to use are anywhere from 0.59" to 0.65", and looking at the specs doesn't tell me how deep the actual shaft cavity is, just overall height. Is that a big deal, or even better, is there a better way to match these things?  Also, this is turning out to be more expensive than the actual electronics involved, hahaha.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yes, the hardware is far more expensive than the electronics, and much more difficult to source & work with.
That is why manufacturers try to give you buttons instead of knobs, even though EVERYONE would prefer knobs.
On the bright side, that is one of the major reasons for DIY stompboxing - being able to get the look & feel right!

PoopLoops

Yeah, and even then it's hard hahaha.  I had originally planned to have 3 rows, Level, Frequency, and Q, and within that have 4 separate columns, i.e. low, low mids, high mids, high.  So I'd have the top row one type of knob, 2nd a different one (but similar), and third another and each column would be a different color.  Looks like now I just have to go by color. =/

You know, it would help if Digi-Key (or Mouser) at least let you search by shaft length.  Oh!  And does it matter if it's linear or log?  Same price, and I know log follows the human ear closer, but is that important for EQ?  I am thinking that being able to visualize how much you've bumped your highs or whatever is easier when it's linear than vs logarithmic.  Most people don't even know what a logarithm is. :p

Ice-9

Quote from: PoopLoops on January 25, 2009, 03:06:25 AM
 Shaft diameter I know is important, as is whether or not it is smooth or has those gear-type things, but is length that important?  .

My girlfriend said YES all the above is very important

Sorry couldn't resist
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

PoopLoops

Yeah yeah, I was thinking of cracking a joke like that, too.  :icon_razz: