Dunlop Fuzz Face JD-F2 too much bass

Started by freshmex18, January 22, 2009, 12:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshmex18

I have recently changed the transistors in a Dunlop Fuzz Face JD-F2 to a pair of germanium ones that I got from smallbear.  They sound totally amazing in there, the fuzz sound is warm and amazing, but the mids and highs are lost in the deepness of the new sound.  Are there any mods I can do to the circuit to increase the trebles and mids and/or reduce the lows?  Here is the schematic:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/ff99.gif

I must admit that I do not understand circuits that well.  I understand what the different components are and I can swap them out, but I do not understand the science behind why the new components make the sound better.  So please talk to me like I am 8 years old so that I understand your suggestions.  LOL.

Thanks

alex frias

I think it loos like more like a Si FF, not a Ge one...
Pagan and happy!

freshmex18

It had the Dunlop made germanium NKTs in it before.  They are poorly made and not matched properly.  Adding a well made matched pair made it sound way better.

Caferacernoc

Reduce the size of the 2.2uf input cap right next to the "in" on the schematic. The smaller it is the less bass it will pass.

freshmex18

Any recommended values for the replacement input cap?

alex frias

470nF?

The 6n8F cap is realy necessary with Ge's?
Pagan and happy!

Gus

see that word at the top of the page "links"?   Check out plate to plate.

If you are asking questions like in this thread , how do you know the Dunlop NKTs were poorly made and not matched properly?

The linked schematic looks like it was designed to work with the transistors used.  Now if you are using SB supplied transistors you might want to use a more "standard" FF circuit.

google and the search here might help you.

FFs are sensitive to transistors and peoples taste.

Solidhex

Yo

If you like the way it sounds now but want the low end a little tighter just replace the .1 output cap with a .01

--Brad

freshmex18

I just switched out the .1 for a .01 and the magic left the pedal.  The warm amazing tone was gone.  TOO much of the bass got taken out.  Is .47  the answer or is reducing the input capacitor the right choice?

petemoore

You can try the output capacitor as well.
  Trimming the input LF's takes away, the amount of low frequencies passivly removed easily becomes enough to make the circuit sound thin.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Solidhex

Quote from: freshmex18 on January 22, 2009, 09:41:54 PM
I just switched out the .1 for a .01 and the magic left the pedal.  The warm amazing tone was gone.  TOO much of the bass got taken out.  Is .47  the answer or is reducing the input capacitor the right choice?

Yo, you mean a .047. try it. If you want to get crazy you can try a cap blend on the output too.

--Brad

freshmex18

You are correct.  I meant .047.  English teachers aren't too good with decimals.  I will try it after work and see what happens.

freshmex18

I decided to change the 220 input cap to a 100 that I pulled out of my unused Boss SD-1 and the sound is markedly improved.  Not sure if it is exactly that sound I want yet.  I might change they output cap to .047 and see if I like that, too.  But I do really like what I hear so far.  Still neeed to adjust the amp, too, and see if I can hit that magic tone with the 100.  The bass is less but the sound is still full and the fuzz did not go down dramatically.  Still good but yet to see if it is perfect.