Clear coat question...any painters in the house?

Started by punkin, February 07, 2009, 05:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Hello all,

I'm trying to finish up my PepperShredder. I painted the enclosure a few days ago. This morning I put a couple light clear coats on it. Later this afternoon I noticed that it's got a bit of orange peel going on...not real bad but enough to drive me nuts. So, I broke out the 2000 grit and a little soap and water and started smoothing things out. It's pretty much cleared up and looks acceptable and of course at this point it has the expected haze to the finish. I'm wondering is it safe to put another coat of clear on it or do I just buff it out? I would like the clear finish to be bit thicker but not at the risk of really screwing it up.

If it's ok to reapply clear, do I have to worry that the haze will be trapped and show through?

Thanks!
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

John Lyons

The haze is just the abraded surface of your paint since you sanded it.
Any further coats will make that go away.
Spraying further light coats will be fine as long as the paint is fully dry each time
you recoat.
If you want to stay with the paint as is you can buff lightly with steel wool and a car
wax, then buff off with a cotton cloth, then buff with only the wax, then the clean cloth.
Repeat until your happy.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

punkin

Thanks John!

I'm gonna go with a couple more coats of clear. After all, it's a stompbox...I'd feel better if it had just a little more.

THANKS!

Steph
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

John Lyons

Ok, probably a good idea...
I should clarify though. You would want to use #0000 steel wool (wire wool) and
dip the stuff in the car wax to buff the finish.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

punkin

Again,...thanks a bunch!

Progress report...after having rubbed it out a bit with the 2000 grit, I applied one additional heavier coat of clear...smooth as glass  :icon_mrgreen: