Hand Painted Enclosures...Lets see 'em !

Started by Captainobvious99, February 05, 2009, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.adambeck

knealebrown

Quote from: mr.adambeck on June 14, 2009, 12:20:18 PM
Has anyone used enamel paints for handpainting?  From poking around on the Zvex site (specifically: http://zvex.com/artists.html), it's clear that they use testors enamel paints http://www.testors.com/category/136643/Enamel_Paint_Sets...  I have a friend who's going to handpaint one of my boxes http://www.dethpsun.com as a favor for me, but I want to be sure I'm having him doing it in the most durable way possible...  So I'm trying to figure out exactly what the best way to do it is...

Thanks

take a look at my strat-o-blasta a few posts back, thats done with ennamel paint (the kind of stuff you use for afix models) was pretty easy, just paint and let dry lol
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

nosamiam

First time doing one this way.

1) Appliance enamel for the white base coat.

2) Laid out stencil using plain computer paper. I'm sort of into graffiti and went for that feel but didn't cop it too well. Need practice.

3) Cut out stencil with x-acto knife.

4) Laid stencil in place.

5) Shot with orange (don't remember what kind) from can.

6) Outlined in black paint marker.

7) Hand lettered with paint marker.

Things I learned:

1) Make sure x-acto knife is very sharp.

2) Make sure blast from spray can won't lift stencil. I got some overspray (underspray?) when I sprayed the orange.

3) Stencilwork is probably better sprayed with an airbrush.

Next one will come out better. I think I'm gonna stick with this method for a while till I get it down.

wicker

I "paint" with ink, so it is a little different looking. The  first one is a rubber stamp for the graphic, the background is by hand.

BYOC Analog Delay

Fulltone 69 Clone
Everything on this is done by hand

Here is a BYOC Phaser, again using inks instead of paint

Here is a TS Clone

xshredx

Quote from: Derringer on June 14, 2009, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: xshredx on February 05, 2009, 05:43:26 PM

one of my absolute favorite albums, "THE" definitive thrash album imo.

what circuit is inside?

This pedal integrates an amp footswitch + a dual looper.
It serves as the footswitch for a Laboga Mr. Hector amplifier, and has two loops. These 2 loops work together with the channel selection and the master volume selection of the amp. Loop 1 (comp, chorus, ...) switches on when the amp is on the clean channel, loop 2 (delay) switches on when the amp is on the solo master volume. The guts are quite simple, it's basically some relays.

I made it for a friend who is obviously a big Megadeth fan...

Derringer

awesome

I was really hoping though that it was a distortion that emulated the R.I.P. tone! :icon_mrgreen:

ParlorCitySound

Quote from: wicker on June 14, 2009, 01:28:07 PM
I "paint" with ink, so it is a little different looking. The  first one is a rubber stamp for the graphic, the background is by hand.

BYOC Analog Delay

I really like that. Beautiful work.

ode2no1

you guys are crazy. man, i really wish i was patient enough to actually paint a box. once i get it in my head that i'm building something though i just go for it and get it all boxed up in a day or two. i couldn't sit there and wait a couple of days just to let the box dry. actually i think the problem is that i usually order all the parts i need, including the enclosure, all at once so it all get's here the same day and i get going right away. i think i need to order some extra enclosures so that while i wait for whatever else i need i can get the box drilled and painted. or maybe i should just calm the hell down and breathe a bit and take a little more time while making pedals so that i can have some non grey enclosures haha. anyway...very impressive stuff guys.

wicker

Quote from: ode2no1 on June 16, 2009, 11:19:28 AM
you guys are crazy. man, i really wish i was patient enough to actually paint a box. once i get it in my head that i'm building something though i just go for it and get it all boxed up in a day or two. i couldn't sit there and wait a couple of days just to let the box dry. actually i think the problem is that i usually order all the parts i need, including the enclosure, all at once so it all get's here the same day and i get going right away. i think i need to order some extra enclosures so that while i wait for whatever else i need i can get the box drilled and painted. or maybe i should just calm the hell down and breathe a bit and take a little more time while making pedals so that i can have some non grey enclosures haha. anyway...very impressive stuff guys.

I always do that before I finish mine. I build it and play with it first. Then after the honneymoon. I pull the guts out and finish the enclosure.

ode2no1

yeah i guess i could do that with the pedals that aren't already on my board. i usually build stuff that i don't really need anyway but think is cool so there's quite a few things that i could paint. how long does the process usually take?

nosamiam

Quote from: ode2no1 on June 16, 2009, 01:16:25 PM
yeah i guess i could do that with the pedals that aren't already on my board. i usually build stuff that i don't really need anyway but think is cool so there's quite a few things that i could paint. how long does the process usually take?

If you're gonna paint enclosures first and use them later for projects, be SURE you cover them with paper taped down or with masking tape BEFORE you drill!! No matter how careful you are, if you try to drill an unprotected painted box you're gonna screw it up. The shavings from drilling the hole spin at high speed as you're drilling and scratch up the paint. I learned this one the hard way.

Processaurus

Quote from: mr.adambeck on June 14, 2009, 12:22:04 PM
also, has anyone seen http://zvex.com/customs.html???  Some great looking stuff!

That makes me want to start a sweatshop with all my artsy friends churnin out one of a kind paintjobs!  I really like some of those, painting on pedals is like painting on cars, or tattoos, what looks good on a wall might end up looking terrible on a machine or a person...

Strategy

Quote from: ParlorCitySound on June 15, 2009, 12:24:15 AM

BYOC Analog Delay

That is incredibly beautiful. May I ask some technical questions?
- what type of ink?
- what is the base/prime coat, or did you paint directly onto the metal?
- what are you using for clear finish?

Thanks for sharing that!
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Paul Marossy

Strategy

-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

jrod

BYOC Analog Delay

Fulltone 69 Clone
Everything on this is done by hand

Here is a BYOC Phaser, again using inks instead of paint

Here is a TS Clone

Hey Wicker! These are very nice boxes! Would you mind suggesting and ink that works with rubber stamps on metal. I have been considering trying this for a while. Thanks!

polifemo

A ROG Omega Booster with a bit of a "BJF-look" to it:

mr.adambeck

okay, another question
If buying a powdercoated enclosure to paint on, do you need to make sure it's not glossy first?  Also, if so, where do you guys order yours from?

Thanks

mr.adambeck

Okay, so this is a modified Colorsound One Knob Fuzz.  I hand-painted it with Testor's enamel on a Pedal Parts Plus Anodized Blue (which isn't glossy).  I wasn't very happy with the way enamel flows, but I think with some practice I can get things to look exactly how I'd like.

And Winston modeling it for me  ::)