mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr.benway

Thanks again Rick,

I used the separate LFO module. I'm sure it's correct.
tried subbing a 100k trimpot for the R8, no dice.
something's probably wrong with my circuit. I'm putting it aside for a few days.

edd101

hi,
I breadboarded clari(not) and it sounds SUPER. It really melted my brain :icon_mrgreen: But I've noticed one thing, when I rotate the 78L05 it has no effect on the sound! Is it meant to be so or I made something wrong :icon_question: :icon_question: :icon_question:

Doug, Rick thnx for the schematic and perf layout!!! I will definitely upgrade my clari(not) to cubed version :icon_cool:

Ed
...it is always funny until someone gets hurt!!!

Barcode80

Quote from: edd101 on June 01, 2009, 03:20:56 AM
hi,
I breadboarded clari(not) and it sounds SUPER. It really melted my brain :icon_mrgreen: But I've noticed one thing, when I rotate the 78L05 it has no effect on the sound! Is it meant to be so or I made something wrong :icon_question: :icon_question: :icon_question:

Doug, Rick thnx for the schematic and perf layout!!! I will definitely upgrade my clari(not) to cubed version :icon_cool:

Ed

the pt2399 runs off 9 volts... for a while. turn that regulator the wrong way and everything will still work probably for a while, but you are going to send 9 volts to a chip that is designed for no more than 5 volts so it's going to die quickly.

edd101

Quote from: Barcode80 on June 01, 2009, 11:03:42 AM
hi,

Ed

the pt2399 runs off 9 volts... for a while. turn that regulator the wrong way and everything will still work probably for a while, but you are going to send 9 volts to a chip that is designed for no more than 5 volts so it's going to die quickly.

thank you!!!now it's clear to me ;)

rousejeremy

My Clari(not) was working perfectly for about a week, now when I turn the blend knob to the effected signal there's a bunch of noise, but the delayed signal is still there. Could this be the result of what you just mentioned?

hi,

Ed

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Barcode80

possibly, could also be a short somewhere once you got it boxed up. does the noise sound like a woosh?

rousejeremy

Quote from: Barcode80 on June 02, 2009, 12:46:25 PM
possibly, could also be a short somewhere once you got it boxed up. does the noise sound like a woosh?

It's just alot of background noise with the delayed signal. I changed nothing, it just started happening.

Does a dying PT2399 whoosh?

Barcode80

edd101

Quote from: rousejeremy on June 02, 2009, 12:16:08 PM
My Clari(not) was working perfectly for about a week, now when I turn the blend knob to the effected signal there's a bunch of noise, but the delayed signal is still there. Could this be the result of what you just mentioned?

hi,

Ed

when i  breadboarded mine i've put a 5v reg (The 78L05 I used is TO-92) as it is shown in Rick's layout and when the delay pot was set more than 12 o'clock  it started to osscillate and made a lot of strange noise! then I rotated the 78L05 and all the osscillation and strange noise was gone and the overall sound became better!!! the only thing that bothers me now is a hiss in the repeats. I know that it is the nature of pt2933 :'( In my rebote2 the repeats are MUCH better sounding and almost clean :icon_exclaim:

Does your clari(not) have the hiss/dirt in the repeats or is it normal ???

Ed

rousejeremy

Quote from: edd101 on June 03, 2009, 03:47:33 AM
Quote from: rousejeremy on June 02, 2009, 12:16:08 PM

hi,

Ed

when i  breadboarded mine i've put a 5v reg (The 78L05 I used is TO-92) as it is shown in Rick's layout and when the delay pot was set more than 12 o'clock  it started to osscillate and made a lot of strange noise! then I rotated the 78L05 and all the osscillation and strange noise was gone and the overall sound became better!!! the only thing that bothers me now is a hiss in the repeats. I know that it is the nature of pt2933 :'( In my rebote2 the repeats are MUCH better sounding and almost clean :icon_exclaim:

Does your clari(not) have the hiss/dirt in the repeats or is it normal ???

Ed

Yup, the reapeats are noisy, but the fuzz sounds fine.

~arph

Well if you compare the filter section of the clarinot with eg. any of the other pt2399 delays (echo base, rebote or magnus) you'll quickly see that filtering was not considered here. This thing is meant to be noisy  ;D

frequencycentral

Quote from: ~arph on June 03, 2009, 08:41:26 AM
Well if you compare the filter section of the clarinot with eg. any of the other pt2399 delays (echo base, rebote or magnus) you'll quickly see that filtering was not considered here. This thing is meant to be noisy  ;D

Yeah the fuzz hides the hiss. On my modded version with fuzz-lift the hiss is more noticable at slower delay times. I prefer to think of it as a 'bonus' white noise generator and phase it for whooshy coolness.  :icon_eek:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Barcode80

anyone know what effect a higher value pot in place of the 1k would yield? I have no 1k, smallest on hand right now is 10k i believe...

edd101

hi everyone!
for the past weekend i can't get to sleep at night :icon_frown: I've upgreaded my breadboarded working clari(not) to cubed version using the Ricks layout and can't get it working :( :( :( for two days i've been tracing shorts and  checking my build but with no result!!! no sound comes out and the LED doen't blink!!! has anyone built the cubed version using the layout??? plzz guys help me out!!!!

ED

frequencycentral

Quote from: edd101 on June 07, 2009, 07:53:40 AM
hi everyone!
for the past weekend i can't get to sleep at night :icon_frown: I've upgreaded my breadboarded working clari(not) to cubed version using the Ricks layout and can't get it working :( :( :( for two days i've been tracing shorts and  checking my build but with no result!!! no sound comes out and the LED doen't blink!!! has anyone built the cubed version using the layout??? plzz guys help me out!!!!

ED

I don't understand how you have breadboarded my layout, as my layout is for perf.....?

No sound coming out is a little worrying, my mods really don't affect the audio path. The key to getting the LFO LED running is to have the correct value for R8 on my perf layout. I used a 100K here as my LED was ultra bright. With other LEDs this value needs to be much smaller. See the note on the LFO schematic I posted, try using a trimmer and tweaking it in.

edd101

I don't understand how you have breadboarded my layout, as my layout is for perf.....?
sorry, my mistake i misprinted  :icon_redface:

i also used super  bright LED! maybe when i upgreaded the existing clari(not) i've made some silly mistake that i can't spot :-\. i'll check everything again :icon_mrgreen:

thnx Rick

dr.benway

i used the separate lfo module.
i just realized my super brite was dead for some unknown reason. subbed in a standard red led, removed the R8 resistor and finally saw the led light up.
only problem now is i'm not getting any modulation when i adjust the speed pot. it should blink as i turn the pot shouldn't it ?
any ideas what might be the cause ?

frequencycentral

Quote from: dr.benway on June 08, 2009, 12:55:24 PM
i used the separate lfo module.
i just realized my super brite was dead for some unknown reason. subbed in a standard red led, removed the R8 resistor and finally saw the led light up.
only problem now is i'm not getting any modulation when i adjust the speed pot. it should blink as i turn the pot shouldn't it ?
any ideas what might be the cause ?

Yeah, there's something wrong there, the LED should be flashing. Check your LFO build against the schematic. 10uf cap oriented correctly?

dr.benway

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/frequencycentral/ClariLFOperf.jpg

yeah, 10uF oriented correctly. the + does go to R5 right ? could R8 alone be responsible for the problem ? I tried no resistor, a few different values under a 100k and a 220k pot to tweak cause I had nothing else lying around but always a steady red glow. I'll have to check for a bad connection somewhere maybe.

frequencycentral

Quote from: dr.benway on June 09, 2009, 06:04:17 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/frequencycentral/ClariLFOperf.jpg

Pins 1 and 2 are connected on that layout, not very obvious, but clear if you cross reference to the schematic.

Quote from: dr.benway on June 09, 2009, 06:04:17 PM
the + does go to R5 right ?

Do you mean + volts? No. Or the + non inverting input of the opamp? Yes.

With a standard red LED R4 on that LFO layout could be a really small value, maybe 1K?

Here's a 'reveal' view of that LFO layout: