mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Is that photo cell suitable for this project?!
Should I use a super bright led or a standard one? Which Color? Would a bright white fit?
Scruffie, Josh, where are your vero layouts?!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

jacobyjd

Quote from: Renegadrian on August 06, 2009, 05:39:02 PM
Should I use a super bright led or a standard one? Which Color? Would a bright white fit?

Haha, like I said, mine is hand-drawn in my notebook, and I haven't had a chance to even get close to building one from it, so it's unverified anyway. I can try to take a picture of it and post, but someone will probably have to make corrections--I don't really have time to dig into it ATM :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

frequencycentral

That LDR should be fine. It's the minimum resistance that matters, because as the LDR is in parallel with a 100K pot in the circuit it's maximum resistance can only ever be ~50K. I seem to recall that a super bright LED is called for, though not an ultra bright. I think you'd get good results with a standard LED too though. I did start a vero layout a while back, got about halfway but got frustrated with it - vero not being my thing really.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

Thx, I think this will be my next project...Now off to bed and tomorrow I'll go shopping - Banzai, I'm coming!  :icon_biggrin:
PS I really liked your sound sample, Rick!  :icon_wink:

kristoffereide

I used a 1,2-500k LDR and a white superbright and it woked fine, all bought from Banzai
Quote from: biggy boy on April 12, 2009, 06:22:33 PM
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

Renegadrian

right, I'll do the same then!  :icon_wink:

frequencycentral

Quote from: Renegadrian on August 06, 2009, 08:06:13 PM
PS I really liked your sound sample, Rick!  :icon_wink:

Thanks Adriano - Ah, you want to do the Cubed version, cool! I don't think a vero layout exists for that yet. Though someone should make a version that incorporates the LFO and fuzz lift into the stock Clari, so modulation could be switchable between the LFO or the envelope. that would be pretty versatile!

kristoffereide

Could someone (who fully understands it) post an OBW diagram for the board with the separate LFO-board? Did NOT understand how to wire it...
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

frequencycentral

Quote from: kristoffereide on August 07, 2009, 06:22:05 AM
Could someone (who fully understands it) post an OBW diagram for the board with the separate LFO-board? Did NOT understand how to wire it...

Isn't that clear from my Cubed layout on page 5?

kristoffereide

oooh! Now I see. Thanks! I guess I'll built another one, since my graphics say track at the track-pot. Thanks again, you must be a genius or something

Renegadrian

Yeah, here's a rare pic of Rick the mad genius in his lab... :icon_eek:

frequencycentral

thereverend

i've started on this project going by the perf layout in this thread, then i noticed something... rick, you use really small (size-wise) caps. where do you get them? i had to adjust the perf layout to fit the caps i got because i just couldnt fit them that close together without it looking like a godforsaken mess lol!

another question... obviously a dual vactrol will work with this (that much i dont doubt) but would i use the center and one of the outside pins on the ldr side of the vactrol or the 2 outside pins on the ldr side? i'm assuming it's just the center pin and one of the outside pins since i'm guessing the 2 outside pins would amount to 2 ldrs in series, right? and is there anything useful or interesting i could do with the pin that wont be used on the vactrol? probably not but i figure it wouldnt hurt to ask.
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...

frequencycentral

Quote from: thereverend on August 07, 2009, 03:15:13 PM
i've started on this project going by the perf layout in this thread, then i noticed something... rick, you use really small (size-wise) caps. where do you get them? i had to adjust the perf layout to fit the caps i got because i just couldnt fit them that close together without it looking like a godforsaken mess lol!

Ooops! Sorry for my small cap based layouts! I guess I do layouts for me first and the rest of the World second. Sorry World, you'll just have to get the caps I use. I get mine for Rapid and Maplin in the UK, though similar are available here if you're in the US: http://futurlec.com/CapCerMono.shtml

kristoffereide

I used regular size caps. Solder them with good "feet-length"insulate them with wire-insulation-leftovers and bend them out of the way (don't know if feet is the right word in english)

thereverend

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 07, 2009, 03:29:30 PM
Quote from: thereverend on August 07, 2009, 03:15:13 PM

Ooops! Sorry for my small cap based layouts! I guess I do layouts for me first and the rest of the World second. Sorry World, you'll just have to get the caps I use. I get mine for Rapid and Maplin in the UK, though similar are available here if you're in the US: http://futurlec.com/CapCerMono.shtml

no need to be sorry for your small cap-based layouts. they're great and it's no big deal for me to adapt and change the layout to fit my caps. i was just curious on what kind you were using. thanks for the link!

Scruffie

I gave up, it kept ending up being huge... i'l have to give it another go.

thereverend

alright, so i dont have a 27k pot for the blend but i do have a 20k pot and a 50k pot. would the 20k pot work okay? if not i understand that a 50k pot with 22k resistor across lugs 1 and 3 would give me a 27k pot but when it comes to it's function as a blend knob i get slightly confused as to if the resistor would get soldered to lugs 1 and 3 of if it'd be 2 resistors with one across lugs 1 and 2 and the other across 2 and 3.

thereverend

disregard that last post of mine. i did what i shoulda done in the first place and used google to learn a thing or two.

thereverend

finally finished my build. doesnt work though. it passes sound but theres no delay, it just sounds like a fuzz. when i turn the blend it becomes a richer sounding fuzz with a bit more high end. the led doesnt light up and again, no delay, no nothing. just fuzz. i'll take measurements tomorrow but if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could potentially be (besides human error, obviously) or what would be a good part of the circuit to start checking for problems it'd be appreciated.