mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS_KoRn89

Ok, I cut the trace under R13 but I still haven't got it working.  Thats the trace that grounds pin 4 on the TL072?  I wanna make sure I cut the right one.

frequencycentral

Quote from: SS_KoRn89 on July 06, 2010, 05:24:41 PM
Ok, I cut the trace under R13 but I still haven't got it working.  Thats the trace that grounds pin 4 on the TL072?  I wanna make sure I cut the right one.

Have a look at the layout on page 12 again, I mended it and re-uploaded it the other day. On the old, incorrect layout, the right hand side of R13 had a trace to the vertical ground trace. Pin 4 on the TL072 should still be grounded. You should just cut the trace between the right leg of R13 and the ground trace. R13 should not be grounded.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

SS_KoRn89

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 06, 2010, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: SS_KoRn89 on July 06, 2010, 05:24:41 PM

Have a look at the layout on page 12 again, I mended it and re-uploaded it the other day. On the old, incorrect layout, the right hand side of R13 had a trace to the vertical ground trace. Pin 4 on the TL072 should still be grounded. You should just cut the trace between the right leg of R13 and the ground trace. R13 should not be grounded.

Ok.  I see it now.  I cut the wrong trace :-\.  I'll just soldering it back and cut the the one on R13 and see if it works.  Thanks.

SS_KoRn89

I'm still getting the LFO to work but for some reason the depth knob is controlling delay time and the delay knob is controlling depth.  I've checked it 100 times and the out board wiring is the same as the layout.  Could it be just labeled wrong?

frequencycentral

Hey! Your LFO is working - cool!

I just checked the wiring of the depth and delay against the schematic and it looks correct to me, they are not labelled wrong.  However, the nature of the circuit is such that the setting of the delay pot will also affect the depth, if you set the delay to the shortest setting the depth will have very little effect, slowing down the delay time will allow the env/lfo to have more effect. Maybe that is what you are experiencing? Maybe it takes a while to get your head around exactly what each knob does - I'm not trying to be rude here, just saying that this is one weird stompbox.

BTW, I'm still curious as to whether replacing the LFO/ENV source switch with a pot would allow you to mix continuously between the two........?

SS_KoRn89

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 07, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
Hey! Your LFO is working - cool!

I just checked the wiring of the depth and delay against the schematic and it looks correct to me, they are not labelled wrong.  However, the nature of the circuit is such that the setting of the delay pot will also affect the depth, if you set the delay to the shortest setting the depth will have very little effect, slowing down the delay time will allow the env/lfo to have more effect. Maybe that is what you are experiencing? Maybe it takes a while to get your head around exactly what each knob does - I'm not trying to be rude here, just saying that this is one weird stompbox.

BTW, I'm still curious as to whether replacing the LFO/ENV source switch with a pot would allow you to mix continuously between the two........?

Maybe there is nothing wrong with Delay and depth knob.  I bet I just didnt understand how it worked.  I'm still working on the LFO.  I bet there is just something small I over looked.  It's something on my end and NOT your layout.  Thanks again for all your help!

Lurco

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 07, 2010, 01:22:00 PM

Think of how would the synthpeople do this CV mixing?

SS_KoRn89

I got everything working.  Turns out my LED wasn't a super bright one.  Since there was a 100k resistor right before the LED, I needed a bright onw.  I popped one in and my LFO was visible.  Starting to box it up today.  KILLER PEDAL! 

jdub

Howdy-
Would anyone who has built the Clari Cubed mind posting voltages for the TL062, LM386 and, if possible, across the anode of the LED?  I built one using Rick's  PCB layout and I'm having trouble with the LED, in both LFO- and envelope-driven modes.  The rest of the circuit works well, and I can get effect from the LDR by covering and uncovering with my hand, but the LED just ain't gettin' enough juice, it seems.  I should mention that I did remove the erroneous trace to ground at R13...

Thanks!
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

frequencycentral

Quote from: jdub on July 12, 2010, 04:37:35 PM
.....but the LED just ain't gettin' enough juice, it seems.

Quote from: SS_KoRn89 on July 08, 2010, 06:51:46 PM
I got everything working.  Turns out my LED wasn't a super bright one.  Since there was a 100k resistor right before the LED, I needed a bright onw.  I popped one in and my LFO was visible.  Starting to box it up today.  KILLER PEDAL! 

Same problem maybe? Got a superbright LED in there?

jdub

Yup, it's a superbright- 5000mcd waterclear.  Seems I'm getting good voltage from the TL062 and the 358- in the neighborhood of 3.0 to 3.5 volts; but by the time it gets to the anode of the LED (through the 100k from the LFO or through the 10uF from the 358) it's down to 1.9-2.4 volts, which IIRC isn't enough forward voltage for a superbright.  And it worked so well on the breadboard... I just know I'm missing something simple- 'swhat I get for not perfing it... ::)

jdub

DC9V

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 01, 2009, 01:44:25 PMThere is definately another effect waiting to be born here: an envelope controlled PT2399 with good filtering and attack/release controls. I'd ditch the 386 (and fuzz) and use a dual opamp for input and output stages, maybe look at Rebote 2 for these and the filtering. The envelope element could be sniped from a pre-existing envelope fliter effect, anything that gives some contour control, attack and release. Maybe throw the Cubed LFO in there too. That would be one hell of an insane effect - should I design it do you think?

Well, Rick, have you given this some more thought?
You do realize that now that you've got our mouths watering with this prospect you can't back up, right? :icon_mrgreen:

frequencycentral

Quote from: DC9V on August 07, 2010, 03:29:16 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral on December 01, 2009, 01:44:25 PMThere is definately another effect waiting to be born here.......
Well, Rick, have you given this some more thought?
You do realize that now that you've got our mouths watering with this prospect you can't back up, right? :icon_mrgreen:

Well, as it happens, just yesterday I breadboarded a mini chorus using a PT2399 and a dual opamp, referencing to Rebote for it's input buffer, the Clari for it's output section, and the Echo Base for it's modulation of delay time. A few things to iron out before I can say 'done', but encouraging results so far. The challlenge is getting the delay time as short as possible while still allowing the LFO enough room to wiggle. The next logical step would be to develop it further by adding envelope control.................

wintery

Hi Rick     Thx for all your work on the Clari Cubed. It's now my fav pedal when I can borrow it back from my friends. :+)
John Lyons made me a couple of sweet clari3 boards and I'd like to send you one. Plz get me an address and I'll put it in the mails.
(winterymoon at gmail dot com)

dave

frequencycentral

Quote from: wintery on August 10, 2010, 06:59:24 AM

Hi Rick     Thx for all your work on the Clari Cubed. It's now my fav pedal when I can borrow it back from my friends. :+)
John Lyons made me a couple of sweet clari3 boards and I'd like to send you one. Plz get me an address and I'll put it in the mails.
(winterymoon at gmail dot com)

dave

Sweet! Thank you! Just emailed you. Did you have the boards made from the layout on page 12 of this thread? If so, is everything working as expected? And can we call it verified?

wintery

Sorry 'bout the verification ... I'm way too newbie to put my seal of approval on anything. Board's on it's way!

DC9V

John Lyons

Warning, board spamming in progress.

If anyone wants a board for the Clarinot Cubed I can make them for $13 shipped US.
For overseas $14. basicaudiowv AT yahoo dot com
Rick, I assume this is ok with you. If not then lemme know.  ;)

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

deadastronaut

Quote from: wintery on August 10, 2010, 08:03:25 AM

Sorry 'bout the verification ... I'm way too newbie to put my seal of approval on anything.

is it working ok then?.. :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//