Yet another Neutron power question – Run on 12V?

Started by chi_boy, February 16, 2009, 08:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chi_boy

Sorry if this has been asked, but if it has, I didn't see it in my searching.

I actually have several power related questions as this seems to bee the most common problem people have. 

First, I understand that the Max1044 is the common fix for most, but that whine can still be a problem.  To explore other options, is using the Bi-Polar supply from GGG also an option?

The page I'm looking at is here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=26

I would think that this was an option that could be wired directly to the -9v, 0v, +9V positions on the board.  I think this would work and would use if it would assure whine free operation.  The down side is that a 12V supply would be needed.

This leads to the second question:  Would it be possible to run the Nuetron on 12 Volts?

The reason I ask is that my board already has 18volt on it and the 12volt bi-polar needs 15-18volts.  I checked the individual components and it looks like the ratings would be fine as long as the right voltage caps are used.  It doesn't look like anything would blow up, but I'm wondering if it would function properly.

Any thoughts?  Am I out in left field again?

Thanks for the help.

George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

R.G.

Quote from: chi_boy on February 16, 2009, 08:25:26 PM
First, I understand that the Max1044 is the common fix for most, but that whine can still be a problem.  To explore other options, is using the Bi-Polar supply from GGG also an option?
I don't know of anyone who's had whining with the MAX1044 and the connection between 1 an 8. Maybe I just missed that. Can you point me to where that's been noted? I know people with problems and a 7660, but then we knew that would be an issue.

The page I'm looking at...
I would think that this was an option that could be wired directly to the -9v, 0v, +9V positions on the board.  I think this would work and would use if it would assure whine free operation.
It would be whine free. No whining frequencies there. But there IS 60Hz (not 120Hz; it's half wave rectified, as it's taken from my bipolar power supply article) ripple on the caps, so hum could be a problem unless the filtering caps are big enough and the regulators take all the ripple out. Should work.
The down side is that a 12V supply would be needed.
Why is that? Just for the raw voltage before the regulators?

This leads to the second question:  Would it be possible to run the Nuetron on 12 Volts?
Just 12V? Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.
Or did you mean +/-12V, a bipolar 12V supply? Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.

The reason I ask is that my board already has 18volt on it and the 12volt bi-polar needs 15-18volts.  I checked the individual components and it looks like the ratings would be fine as long as the right voltage caps are used.  It doesn't look like anything would blow up, but I'm wondering if it would function properly.
Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

chi_boy

Quote from: R.G. on February 17, 2009, 12:29:27 PM
Quote from: chi_boy on February 16, 2009, 08:25:26 PM
I don't know of anyone who's had whining with the MAX1044 and the connection between 1 an 8. Maybe I just missed that. Can you point me to where that's been noted? I know people with problems and a 7660, but then we knew that would be an issue.

I read that some had whining with the Max1044 amd that some fixed it with pins 1 & 8, but I must have missed that the solution to all of them was the connection between 1 & 8.  If that is the solution then I missed it in my reading.

The page I'm looking at...
I would think that this was an option that could be wired directly to the -9v, 0v, +9V positions on the board.  I think this would work and would use if it would assure whine free operation.
It would be whine free. No whining frequencies there. But there IS 60Hz (not 120Hz; it's half wave rectified, as it's taken from my bipolar power supply article) ripple on the caps, so hum could be a problem unless the filtering caps are big enough and the regulators take all the ripple out. Should work.

OK, so that is an option too.

The down side is that a 12V supply would be needed.
Why is that? Just for the raw voltage before the regulators?

Yes.  I would need an additional wall wart at 12v and couldn't use my existing supply because it does not have a 12v out.  Not a problem, just inconvenient.

Just 12V? Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.
Or did you mean +/-12V, a bipolar 12V supply? Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.

No, I meant +/-12 Bi polar.  So the +/-bi-polar supply would be fed by the 18v out on my current power supply.  I thought there may be a problem, but would have no way to really know.  Thanks for the info.  I'll stick with a +/-9v system.

Maybe. It would take some reworking of the up/down switch circuits. Those depend on 9V as it sits.

R.G. you've narrowed down the options. It looks like the Max1044 is the best way to go.  Now off to research how to get it in.  Thanks for the insight!

Cheers,
George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page