MN3007 ADA Flanger Clone Questions

Started by Paul Marossy, February 19, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolanalog

My feeling is it's always best to use a good power supply of the proper voltage.
Quote from: StephenGiles on December 21, 2009, 11:28:52 AMGet a decent power supply.
+1
This way you can power a bunch of pedals without much hassle.
BTW; Nitefly182 has reported using a charge pump in this circuit without any issues. He has built "one or two" ;) of these and has a very good idea of what works.
Maybe the man from Montgomery Appliances :icon_cool: could chime in here?
Please?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

quarara

To build a psu it's on my plans for my near future, I have bought a transformer too. I think I can build a 18v psu too, maybe with a smaller transformer. Unfortunately in my area it's nearly impossible to find a non-switching power supply in the stores.
Anyway I'd like to investigate a little bit more about charge pumps, if it works it'd be useful to have a single power supply on board. I sent a pm to Nitefly (so, he is Montgomery App? I wasn't aware of that! His videos of his clone of the A/DA are maybe the main reason I've decided to build one! :P).

Thanks for you support :)

puretube

Charge-pumps & similar SMPS are fun things as long as they don`t cause heterodynous whining
against any internal or outboarded HF-clocked circuits...  :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

quarara

Quote from: puretube on December 21, 2009, 05:27:56 PM
Charge-pumps & similar SMPS are fun things as long as they don`t cause heterodynous whining
against any internal or outboarded HF-clocked circuits...  :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
yes, I'm experiencing that :)

quarara

Hi,
I've done a sample with a couple of random setting with my a/da. Could you listen to it and say me if does sound normal to you? I don't have terms of comparison (i.e. another a/da to compare with) and I would like to know what do you think. Sorry for my crappy playing.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7149414849acb252/

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: quarara on January 22, 2010, 03:46:21 AM
Hi,
I've done a sample with a couple of random setting with my a/da. Could you listen to it and say me if does sound normal to you? I don't have terms of comparison (i.e. another a/da to compare with) and I would like to know what do you think. Sorry for my crappy playing.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/7149414849acb252/
Sounds "normal" to me. I think you did good Luigi. :icon_cool:
For a good sonic comparison:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/Veroboard+Layouts/ADA+Flanger/
Right under your nose all this time!
Did you vero this one?
All the Best,
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

quarara

Hi dave, thanks for your assurances.
Yes, I've listened to Lars' samples, but I am too un-neutral about my builds that I must oblige friends to listen to them to assure me it's alright :P
And yes, I veroed it  :icon_cool: (I will never thanks cathexis enough for that layout!)

solderman

HI
Anybody who ha a link to a singel sided PCB transfer layout för the 3007 layout?

moosapotamus has made a grate DD sided but if there are a singel sided out there it would be simpler :-)
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

solderman

Hi

Just read this thread through  and thanks all who have made this build so much more easy to tweek and debug.

A (Presumably stupid) question but

QuoteTest point = 69.6KHz to 2.6MHz
This will give you:
At the BBD = 34.8KHz to 1.3MHz
Hope this clears things up.

Witch pin do i test on the 3007 BBD?

www.soldersound.com

solderman

www.soldersound.com

Thomeeque

Quote from: solderman on February 23, 2010, 04:12:22 PM
A (Presumably stupid) question but

QuoteTest point = 69.6KHz to 2.6MHz
This will give you:
At the BBD = 34.8KHz to 1.3MHz
Hope this clears things up.

Witch pin do i test on the 3007 BBD?

Four out of five witches recommend pin 9  :icon_wink:
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

oldschoolanalog

Which witch is this?
This *itch recommends the "read & learn" (before picking up a soldering iron) method.
The necessary tools:
http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2003/mn3007.pdf
http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADA_MN3007/ADAflanger_MN3007.html
Read the entire PDF. But everyone has done that.
Right? ::)

Dave

solderman

Yes
I have read all that true before putting out the question. As I expected my question was really too dumb to get an answer since it probably is obvious for all but not for me. Everywhere I look there is a reference to where to test at IC6 (4047) but nowhere where to test at the BBD (IC10) at least that I have found.

The reason I want to know is that Bajaman (I think) mentioned that the frequencies would be more stabile and easier to get there.

But with only 8 pins and 2 obvious NOT, there is only 6 left. So what can go wrong? ;D

www.soldersound.com

Thomeeque

OK, sorry, buddy ;)

You want to test at BBD's Clock Pulse inputs CP1 (pin 2) and CP2 (pin 6).

Good luck, T. :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

solderman

Quote from: Thomeeque on February 24, 2010, 03:32:55 AM
OK, sorry, buddy ;)

You want to test at BBD's Clock Pulse inputs CP1 (pin 2) and CP2 (pin 6).

Good luck, T. :)

No problem
Tank's ;D

www.soldersound.com

Thomeeque

..but maaaaybe the most beautiful signal for the frequency range testing would be at IC9's pins 4 and 6, where you should get the most sharp squares - squares at BBD's CP inputs will be heavily "rounded" at high frequencies beacuse of the capacitance at these pins (CCP = 700pF max.).

DimebuGG

Is the new Ibanez AF-2 just a clone of A/DA flanger?

Scruffie

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question so thought i'd post it here but has anyone tried using an MN3009 in place of the MN3007? (They're pin for pin compatible but the MN3009 only has 256 stages)
I'm hopefully getting one to repair an old chorus but wondered what it might sound like in the A/DA Quickly? It's probably a really bad idea anyway.

oldschoolanalog

Tried it. Sounds great after you adjust the clocking to taste.

Scruffie

Interesting, i'll shove it in then when I get it, did it give a thicker sounding sweep?