MN3007 ADA Flanger Clone Questions

Started by Paul Marossy, February 19, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king take it

ic1                        ic2                       ic3                         ic4
1-7.1                1-4.8                     1-7.1                      1-1.9 ~ 13.2 oscilating at ccw, 13.2 constant cw
2-7.1                2-4.8                     2-7.1                      2-7.8
3-6.4                3-4.8                     3-7                         3-3.2 ~ 12.3 oscilating
4-14.1              4-14.1                   4-14.5                     4-0
5-8.8                5-7.1                     5-7.1                      5-7.1
6-8.8                6-7.1                     6-7.1                      6-7.1
7-8.8                7-5.3                     7-7.1                      7-3.9 ~ 12.1 oscilating
8-7.1                8-7.1                     8-7.1 ~ 4.75           8-14.5
9-7.1                9-7.1                     9-6.1
10-7.1             10-7.1                   10-6.1
11-0                11-0                      11-0
12-7                12-7                      12-3.9
13-7.1             13-7.1                   13-3.9
14-7.1             14-7.1                   14-2.2-11.6

king take it

measurements are same knobs as previos post, threshold cw, range ccw, regen ccw, rate 50%, even harmonics, first measurements manual at ccw second at cw, also some/most without 2 readings posted changed 0.1v usually less but some increased, all parts ordered from mouser/smallbear and are the same as in rev5 pdf. power supply voltages 9.43v into charge pump, 17.4v out of charge pump, 14.9v out of regulator. i know in my previous post they were slightly different but i was goin off of memory these are all fresh and recorded on paper today, same with the 2 previous measurement posts.

samurai_gui

Hello, people. it's my first post in this forum.

I really, really, really, 900 times really a newbie in eletronics and before starting to crawl, i'm trying to fly. That said, i have some doubts about this build.

15v supplies and lt1054 ICs are really scarce here in Brasil. While build this stompbox, i wanna know how can i avoid using them. I've made an +15 -15volts supply for another project, but i would preffer to user to use 12dc supplies. witch are very cheap and easy to find here.

Can anybody help me? Eitch mods may i do in the circuit for it to work? Meanwhile, i'm trying to find some answer in this topic and this forum.

tks, regards

Valoosj

It has begun ...

This will probably take a few months to finish as I am currently quite busy with exams and moving, so bear with me  :)
The lfo pcb is populated now, pics tomorrow when I have natural daylight available.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Scruffie

Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Don't tell me I spot a LT1054 Charge Pump there aswell...

Valoosj

Yes we can!  :D
If my ruler is right that is.

And yes, that is the charge pump IC that you see.

Scruffie

Quote from: Valoosj on May 23, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
Yes we can!  :D
If my ruler is right that is.

And yes, that is the charge pump IC that you see.
Well then... it appears we're going to have to burn you as a witch then.  ;)

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Scruffie on May 23, 2011, 04:34:34 PM
Well then... it appears we're going to have to burn you as a witch then.  ;)
As long as we're burning I'll bring some marshmallows to roast!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Valoosj

I don't like marshmallows  :(

Audio board in the enclosure.

The lfo board on top

As you see, it all fits, nice and snug.

The lfo board.

I had to cut the top of the 7815 due to a lack of space, I just hope it still works now.

Skruffyhound

Quotehad to cut the top of the 7815 due to a lack of space

Minor details.
Probably best not to feed it with 50 V now though  :icon_mrgreen:

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Valoosj

And here's the audio board.

The soon to be A/DA Flanger

And it all fits.

quarara

njkmonty

hi, i need some assistance with calibrating my version 5 moosapotomus mn3007 a/da flanger clone. i sent an email to moosapotomus
but it came back saying mail error. mailbox full
if needed i can supply ic voltages etc later, but for the time being i need some simpler help!
my build appears to work first time, having flanging of sorts, but appears to need callibration.
im actually happy to invest in some equipment but what do i need?

from readings around and the price ive come across the following below.

OWON 7.8"color LCD Digital OSCILLOSCOPE 25MHz PDS5022S
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280599987004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ive obviously never used one before, but most things with pedals/amps i haven't either.

in calibration info it refers to
signal generators, and inject  xyz frequency counter etc etc.

i only have a basic dmm, (no frequency) therefor what do i need? (to calibrate it properly)?
1) OSCILLOSCOPE
2)   .......
3)  ........?

i know these are simple questions for electronic experts!

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/njkmonty/ada%20mn3007%20version5%20moosapotomus%20%20flanger%20clone/IMG_0319.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/njkmonty/ada%20mn3007%20version5%20moosapotomus%20%20flanger%20clone/IMG_0315.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/njkmonty/ada%20mn3007%20version5%20moosapotomus%20%20flanger%20clone/IMG_0318.jpg
please help
btw is the above oscilloscope any good?

moosapotamus

Hmmm... nothing wrong with my email. I've been getting emails today and my in box is not full. Anyway...

I have never used a scope. I've only used my DMM, which does happen to have a frequency counter function, to calibrate the ADA. But I think you can actually get pretty damn close doing it by ear, too. (I know some folks will probably disagree with that. But if they chime in, you'll have their advice to consider, too. Cool, huh?) So, just go back and forth several times, set the high point of the sweep and then the low point of the sweep, then go back and check the high point again, then the low point again, over and over and so on... until you are happy with how it sounds. I think you'll find that you will either max out the extent of the sweep at one or both ends, or the sweep will go so far at one end that the sound of the effect will sort of get lost. In that case, just dial it back until you are happy with the sound.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

StephenGiles

Quote from: moosapotamus on July 08, 2011, 04:10:24 PM
Hmmm... nothing wrong with my email. I've been getting emails today and my in box is not full. Anyway...

I have never used a scope. I've only used my DMM, which does happen to have a frequency counter function, to calibrate the ADA. But I think you can actually get pretty damn close doing it by ear, too. (I know some folks will probably disagree with that. But if they chime in, you'll have their advice to consider, too. Cool, huh?) So, just go back and forth several times, set the high point of the sweep and then the low point of the sweep, then go back and check the high point again, then the low point again, over and over and so on... until you are happy with how it sounds. I think you'll find that you will either max out the extent of the sweep at one or both ends, or the sweep will go so far at one end that the sound of the effect will sort of get lost. In that case, just dial it back until you are happy with the sound.

~ Charlie

Which just about backs up what I said a while back. Too big a sweep makes it unuseable in a band situation because of the volume drop at the top end - to me at any rate.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

njkmonty

<charlie@moosapotamus.net>:
child status 100...The e-mail message could not be delivered because the user's mailfolder is full.

thats what it said.?

if i did something on youtube, would you guys be able to assist?.
as i said its making flanging sound, but should it sound like a commercial unit? or are their some differences using mn3007?

would this be ok for a dmm?  (with frequency)
  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260728457220&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

oldschoolanalog

You do realize Charlie has PM here?
The meter looks OK. I generally don't use HK sellers (too many issues in the past) but for the price it's worth a try (plus he has very good f'back).
Go on YouTube and check out some of the Owon 'scope demos. The resolution isn't as good as a CRT unit, but it does have some interesting features. I'm still toying w/the thought of getting one as a "backup". Love my old Tektronix 'scope however.
Be patient and you should be able to calibrate it to your liking by ear. Remember that the clock high/low trimpots are VERY interactive. An f counter will facilitate the process however.
If you do a YouTube demo w/good sound quality I'm sure you will get some opinions here (FWIW).
Best of Luck!

njkmonty

here is first link, iuts a bit dodgy as im sick at present and the video came outsideways from the i phone,
there are 2 videos
1st is very quick, explaining setup etc
2nd is me showing adjusting trims etc

any comments would be great.
remember, IM sick at present!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzIxa8-gNM   (first video)

2nd one is 1 gigabyte!! will take a while to upload, will post its link when done!

ive just gone over  earlier part of thread and noticed this

"RE: JK1
Note that the Manual control will not work if you simply do not install a stereo switching type jack, as drawn in the schematic. If you do not want to install a jack, you will need to install a jumper between pad Sw and pad S so that the wiper of the manual pot is connected to R53.:

i had nothing connected to jk3!