Would someone proof this schen

Started by blueherdim7, February 19, 2009, 09:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueherdim7

Hello all-

I wonder if someone more knowledgeable than me would look at this schem for me.  I want to put a switch in this kay fuzz schem to switch between germanium or silicon diodes.  This is my first attempt with eagle, so just want some help to make sure I have drawn it correctly.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/U0d6MWZERnczS3BMWEE9PQ

Thanks

Jon
Pedals built=Kay Fuzz Clone...more to follow!

Cliff Schecht

Two things:
1. That won't work. No matter what position the switch is in you're going to be connecting both diode pairs at the same time. You need a single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) switch, you only have an SPST variant.
2. You don't need to place a junction on every junction where a part connects in Eagle. The only time you need to place a junction, if one isn't placed automagically, is when three or more wires or parts connect at a single point. If you aren't sure if a part is connected, click the "move" command and move the part around. The wires should move with the part, otherwise it's disconnected. If it is disconnected, just click the part with "move" and drop it in the same place (unless you missed the pin, at which point you need to redraw the wire).

blueherdim7

Thanks Cliff-

That's what I was concerned with.  I will change the switch.  I know about the junctions, but with my lack of experience, placing the junctions helps me feel warm and fuzzy!  LOL.

Jon

blueherdim7

Looking back...I think I do have  a spdt switch in, but when I set up the pcb, all 4 diodes are in fact connected at all times.  Any suggestions?  Do I have the schem drawn correctly?

Jon

Cliff Schecht

Sorry, don't know why I was mixing up my switch topologies.. You have a SPDT and need a DPDT. I fixed your schematic and uploaded it here:
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/Kay_Fuzz_Schem.sch.mp3

Download it and delete the .mp3 part of the extension. I cleaned up your junctions as well, they were bugging me :P

Dan N

How about> SPDT switch- pole to ground, Si diodes on left lugs, Ge diodes on right. A SP ON-OFF-ON switch gives a "none" position that can be fun.

http://users.rio.com/senorris/junk/diodeswitch.gif

Edit- Sorry Cliff, you may have had that. I just DLed Eagle and for some reason both schematics look identical, junctions and all.

oskar

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on February 20, 2009, 02:35:12 AM
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/Kay_Fuzz_Schem.sch.mp3
Download it and delete the .mp3 part of the extension. I cleaned up your junctions as well, they were bugging me :P
You uploaded the original file.    :o

Or you can hardwire the diode pair with the highest forward voltage and use a spst switch to cut in or out the other pair (Ge)...

Quote from: Dan N on February 20, 2009, 03:54:55 AM
How about> SPDT switch- pole to ground, Si diodes on left lugs, Ge diodes on right. A SP ON-OFF-ON switch gives a "none" position that can be fun.
Or use the middle position(off) position for a third pair... your mighty LED's that are allways on but only will conduct when the others are off.

blueherdim7

Cliff-

Again, thanks for your help.  I can't seem to download the edited one you did.  I just get my original.  Can you help me one more time?

Cheers.

Jon

Cliff Schecht

Sorry yeah, I'll upload the correct file when I get home.. I'm on a cold streak  :icon_redface:

Cliff Schecht

Ok, let's try this again. A SPDT switch will do the job, you just had it miswired. The link above is fixed, so use it to download the fixed schematic.

It's been a long week :icon_redface:

blueherdim7

Cliff-

It still looks like the original.  Do I need to add another cap to prevent the connection of the two sets of diodes after the switch?

Jon

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: blueherdim7 on February 21, 2009, 08:43:38 AM
Cliff-

It still looks like the original.  Do I need to add another cap to prevent the connection of the two sets of diodes after the switch?

Jon

Are you sure you aren't opening your original file? I'm going to upload mine one more time, under a different name. I checked it this time, the link should be the updated version..

blueherdim7

Cliff-

I finally got home to download the schem.  Thanks so much again for your efforts!!  It looks great...

Jon